1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard transmissions, where have they gone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 05:57 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always pointed that out, too.

100% of the manuals sold. You cannot just look at the total number because that was artificially low due to manufacturing and dealer stock.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:06 PM
cold_beer839
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like autos. I also like power windows and locks, cruise control, power seats (with heat), air conditioning, power mirrors, you name it. I've driven manual-everything no-a/c trucks all my life growing up, now it's time to sit back and just relax and drive.

But my hobby cars are all manual trans.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:23 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cold_beer839
I like autos. I also like power windows and locks, cruise control, power seats (with heat), air conditioning, power mirrors, you name it. I've driven manual-everything no-a/c trucks all my life growing up, now it's time to sit back and just relax and drive.

But my hobby cars are all manual trans.
My truck is manual everything, but having one without ac growing up I have to have my ac . I wouldn't mind power windows or seats as long as they had a backup method for when(not if) they failed. One of my cars has power seats that don't work, so I have no way to move the seat. I get behind cars in drive through lanes that have to open their door and get out to pay because their windows don't work. I would rather just roll it down by hand and never have to worry about it.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:43 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It really is too bad that you can't configure things the way you want. You have to get everything as part of a package.

My ideal truck would have:

Manual Transmission
Manual 4WD
Manual hubs
Manual windows
Air Conditioning (With the manual controls, none of this electronic climate control BS)
Cruise Control
Plastic floor
Heated leather seats, but not power
Keyless entry (which would require power locks, otherwise I'd prefer manual locks)

Sent from my HTC ONE using IB AutoGroup

Old 10-04-2014, 02:51 AM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
now it's time to sit back and just relax and drive.
I guess some people can do that with an automatic transmission... I cannot.

A manual takes less thought than an automatic for me. I don't have to think about what gear I'm in, or need to shift to if I should need instant torque to the road in a pass or to crest a hill... It's just ... well... automatic.

With an automatic I always have to consider if the kick-down detent is going to catch when I put my foot down... or will it leave me sluggish in the passing lane creating a failed attempt to pass? Should I just go ahead and kick it down... wait... PRND21... where are 3 4 and 5??! 1 and 2 put too much torque on the road for this ice. Lets start in 4... I said 4. I SAID 4!!!! Screw it, I'll walk.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:51 AM
cold_beer839
Junior User
I don't drive on ice. Manual or auto doesn't matter on ice. As for passing, this is my 3rd truck with an auto and I have never ever had an issue with passing. It's not like there is a high failure rate for kick-down during the act of passing that leads to collisions. A worn clutch is just as likely to start slipping during a pass or when pulling out into traffic.

As for power windows and seats breaking, why not just fix them? Why ride around with a broken power window or seat and think you have to live with it? People that you see opening their doors because they can't roll down their windows are just the kind of people that ride a vehicle until it just dies under them from lack of maintenance. Fixing these things isn't rocket science.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:27 AM
phillips91
Postmaster

As for power windows and seats breaking, why not just fix them? Why ride around with a broken power window or seat and think you have to live with it? People that you see opening their doors because they can't roll down their windows are just the kind of people that ride a vehicle until it just dies under them from lack of maintenance. Fixing these things isn't rocket science.
Or, it could be that I drive a truck for a living and I am only home for a day or two at a time, I have 5 kids that I want to spend time with when I am home, we just had a newborn and I have a farm to run. I maintain my vehicles just fine(still have my car from high school), but fixing a power seat that doesn't work is about 300th on my list of things to do when I get home.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:25 AM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
some places would cease to exist if nobody drove on ice.

a worn out clutch is #1 on a repair list. Although, they don't wear out easily.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:15 PM
csurp
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sebs
So you don't like power steering or brakes either?
Reminds me of my 1960 Impala; manual steering, manual brakes, manual windows and seats, 3 on the tree with OD, no AC and a 283 2bl.

Somehow managed to drive it just fine and the roads were full of similar vehicles in the mid 60's.

Something to be said for a simple truck although power steering and brakes are nice these days.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:20 PM
csurp
Senior User
Old 10-04-2014, 08:55 PM
cold_beer839
Junior User
We all have busy lives. But how long do you think it would take to diagnose and repair a power seat or window, when and IF it ever failed?

Every manual trans truck I ever owned needed a clutch/pressure plate, throw out bearing, or slave cylinder at one point during my ownership (in fact had to rebuild the trans on 2 of them). The 3 auto trans trucks I've owned needed nothing except the regular fluid changes. That leaves me time to run the farm and play with my kids. Auto trans aren't fail proof, but I can certainly say I've had far better luck with them.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:47 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
We all have busy lives. But how long do you think it would take to diagnose and repair a power seat or window, when and IF it ever failed?

Every manual trans truck I ever owned needed a clutch/pressure plate, throw out bearing, or slave cylinder at one point during my ownership (in fact had to rebuild the trans on 2 of them). The 3 auto trans trucks I've owned needed nothing except the regular fluid changes. That leaves me time to run the farm and play with my kids. Auto trans aren't fail proof, but I can certainly say I've had far better luck with them.
Well then why don't you come on down and fix it for me . Driving a truck for a living is not a normal "busy life" like most people have. We are gone for two to three weeks at a time and then only home for a couple of days. On those couple of days we have to do the work from the 3 weeks that we were gone. It's not a normal job where you are home several hours a day and can take your time doing household chores.

You may have never had a problem with anything automatic or power related, but I have never owned a vehicle with power windows or locks that I have not had to change the motor or actuator on. Never had to do that on a manual lock/window vehicle. I have also never owned an automatic that hasn't required fluid and filter changes or had to have a new transmission put in it at about 150,000 miles. Never had to replace a manual before.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:57 PM
wahster
New User
In my opinion cars and trucks are getting more reliable as times goes on, not less.

Tell that to GM

Old 10-06-2014, 12:11 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let's see:
gas or diesel...
2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive...
which oil to use...
cowboys still America's team...
ford, chevy, dodge...

all questions without answers -
only opinions, which USUALLY can't be changed

So get what you want .... and I'll get the latest with a manu-automatic that can tow my beast of an rv and do it as slow or fast as I want in the gear I want...

I just got back from 1000+ miles and would put it in tow/haul for stopping,
manual 6th gear for keeping it in high gear and let the turbo pull the hills without the drama of downshift, upshift, etc...

Old 10-08-2014, 08:51 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's what I hate...

Yesterday I drove a rented reefer truck with a manual trans for 13 hours making milk deliveries to schools. Today I'm back in my usual truck and every time I get in I go for the clutch and shifter that aren't there.

Sent from my HTC ONE using IB AutoGroup

Quick Reply: Standard transmissions, where have they gone?