Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

turbocharger questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 11:17 AM
vandy7.3
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbocharger questions

Ok so this isn't the place for a question like this, but I figured there's a bunch of knowledge on here about turbos so here goes.
I have an allis chalmers 190xt series III, the factory turbo on it is an airesearch to4b80 with a t4 exhaust foot. It still has the factory 370 roosa master but it's been worked on and opened up, tractor shows about 150 pto hp on the dyno. My main question is what would be a good upgraded turbo to put on this thing to help clean some smoke up and mainly just an all around more efficient turbo?
Any help is appreciated because it beats just trying turbo after turbo to see what works and what doesn't.
Thanks

Old 10-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Forddiesel17
Senior User
A better place to ask this would be the all Allis forum. allischalmers.com go to the disscusion page and farm equipment. One thing I do know that is if you have 150 pto horsepower the rear end will not last long at that level for pulling implements.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:12 PM
vandy7.3
Freshman User
Ya I've tried the allis forum with not much luck, just thought maybe I could get some input here as far as turbo science and what a good upgrade would be. As far as the rest end holding up while farming it's been dong just fine for the past five years and the tractor doesn't get hot as long as you don't crank all the rpms to it. I'm more or less looking for a newer more efficient version of a t04b

Old 10-01-2014, 11:20 PM
totalloser
Senior User
I know nothing about Allis, all my equipment is Yanmar powered, but I was curious and looked it up. That's a staggering amount to the PTO considering what it is, I'm guessing if you are having trouble cleaning up the smoke, the turbo simply isn't delivering enough boost- this might be fixed with a boost elbow to the waste gate (if it has one) to some extent, but my guess is that there is very little information about the "tolerance" levels of a turbo in that application.

Based on compression ratio (16.25:1) I'm assuming it's DI which is good or that much power over stock would probably have sent the head gasket across the field like it came out of a wood chipper.

Most turbo manufacturers offer flow/hp charts, my guess is to meet your needs, you need a larger turbo. But determining your boost level currently is critical since you need to choose a turbo that is capable of delivering more boost than what you already have.

Keep in mind that larger exhaust housing will allow more flow but be more difficult to spool up, and any time you go larger will give a less responsive turbo with two exceptions: variable displacement, and ball bearing. Ball bearings makes a turbo perform like a smaller one at low load levels, and a bigger one at high load levels due to less friction.

Were it me, after some brief reading, I would be tempted to clean up the smoke by turning the fueling down a tad. It sounds like scattering rear ends and transmissions is not uncommon at your power level.

PS another place to start might be similar displacement diesel engines and their turbo choices. Don't forget to factor in rpm though. Once you find something in a similar application you can look up the specs on those turbos and find something that is similar. When I say factor in RPM, what I mean is a turbo that works on a 5000rpm tdi won't work the same way on a 2600rpm tractor engine since the former doubles the displacement via rpm.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:35 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How would being IDI make it more likely to blow head gaskets? The fact that "our" engines are IDI and have a tendency to blow headgaskets does not mean that all IDIs do. In fact look at the 6.0, there are plenty of DI engines that like to spit headgaskets.

As for the OP, i have no idea what size of tractor youre dealing with, what was the original HP rating? Im assuming its a midsize 5 liter engine, which really doesnt make any sense that it would be a T4 housing... none at all. An H1E might be a bit big for you, unless you sped up the governor. However it came on IH / Case tractors that were rated at 160hp and is T4. thats also a cummins 8.3, but it spools very well considering how de-fueled that engine is at that output so it might work pretty good, especially in a tractor setting as 95% of the time youre at the rated rpm anyway. But realistically, i would bet a turbo simlar sized to our IDI turbos would work really well, just need a bigger exhaust housing.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:20 AM
Forddiesel17
Senior User
I'm an allis guy. 190 XT III were rates at 94 hp at the pto from factory. Most were running 110-115 pto hp in the field. That is the limit we went with our 190 personally. The motor is 301 cubic inches so I think it's 4.9 liters. While its true this motors been proven to take high boost levels the rear end was the weak point in this era. If you pulled the same implement with your higher horsepower you were fine. But most weighted them down to pull much bigger things and that's when he problems started. Even with the series three updates.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:40 AM
blue924.9
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what forum on the allis board did you ask the question, some are better than others, but yes you have some options
1. turn down the pump and be happy you wont fertilze the ground with your rear end and trans
2. dont turn down the pump and wait until it blows and upgrade trans and rear
3. upgrade trans and rear and put in a better turbo, or turn down the pump to get rid of smoke, or live with the smoke, i would recommend a pyrometer to make sure you dont melt down the motor at these power levels

Old 10-02-2014, 10:36 AM
vandy7.3
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Forddiesel17
I'm an allis guy. 190 XT III were rates at 94 hp at the pto from factory. Most were running 110-115 pto hp in the field. That is the limit we went with our 190 personally. The motor is 301 cubic inches so I think it's 4.9 liters. While its true this motors been proven to take high boost levels the rear end was the weak point in this era. If you pulled the same implement with your higher horsepower you were fine. But most weighted them down to pull much bigger things and that's when he problems started. Even with the series three updates.
Yes this is what I'm working with. We have never experienced troubles with the rear end and we can with the tractor and pull in the 10 and 11,000 lb class. I more or less used the 190xt as a reference. Were building a 185, already have the pump work done and we're thinking we can get some more out of it with a turbo upgrade pulling 8 and 9k lb class at 4mph. Tractor shows right at 150hp. Exhaust temps I don't exactly remember but they weren't anything crazy and boost is just under 30psi. I know a t4 for sounds crazy on these tractors but that's what they have. We put an hx35 on a 200 we're pulling and had to make an adapter plate to fit that turbo on.
I wonder if I contact Russ (typefour) if there's anything he could do like he does to the turbos on our trucks

Old 10-02-2014, 10:48 AM
vandy7.3
Freshman User
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
How would being IDI make it more likely to blow head gaskets? The fact that "our" engines are IDI and have a tendency to blow headgaskets does not mean that all IDIs do. In fact look at the 6.0, there are plenty of DI engines that like to spit headgaskets.

As for the OP, i have no idea what size of tractor youre dealing with, what was the original HP rating? Im assuming its a midsize 5 liter engine, which really doesnt make any sense that it would be a T4 housing... none at all. An H1E might be a bit big for you, unless you sped up the governor. However it came on IH / Case tractors that were rated at 160hp and is T4. thats also a cummins 8.3, but it spools very well considering how de-fueled that engine is at that output so it might work pretty good, especially in a tractor setting as 95% of the time youre at the rated rpm anyway. But realistically, i would bet a turbo simlar sized to our IDI turbos would work really well, just need a bigger exhaust housing.

I thought about trying a turbo for a truck like ours but they aren't very efficient much over 20psi. That being said the turbo on this tractor is about the same as the ats unit on my truck, just comparing them side by side. Intake looks a little bigger on the ats. But that's what makes me think a better more efficient turbo is in order if we're pushing that much boost.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Forddiesel17
Senior User
Did you try the pulling forum on allischalmers.com?? They would know what turbo to run in the classes that you want to pull.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:20 AM
vandy7.3
Freshman User
My buddy did a while back, but like I said didn't get much help. I've tried to be a member on there so I could post but they won't ever send me a confirmation email to let me on. So I just figured I'd try to get a little help here as far as turbos went. I'm just looking for an upgrade over the stock unit. Nothing big huge and crazy because the little 301 won't spool a very big turbo

Old 10-02-2014, 12:18 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
From what I could find That turbo has a 48mmx70mm compressor wheel, with a 74mmx58mm turbine wheel.

Being that its a garrett, there are a ton of wheels that will swap into place.

What is the displacement of the engine?

Old 10-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Forddiesel17
Senior User
Racin the displacement is 301 cu inches

Old 10-02-2014, 12:41 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What is the Desired boost and RPM range of the engine?

Old 10-02-2014, 01:02 PM
vandy7.3
Freshman User
Desired boost I would guess around 30-35 psi. Rpms at the top are just under 3000. But I want it to be pretty good on the low end because this engine is helpless once the turbo goes under. So I would say when I leave the line is less than 2000rpms then I feed it as I go down the track to stay right at the 4mph speed limit

Quick Reply: turbocharger questions