6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Any custom tunes besides 5 star?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 07:41 PM
Flatbed Ed
Tuned
Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by projectnitemare
The major thing is the flare. That burns clutches. Even with the tow tune the converter stays unlocked a lot. Unloaded not a big deal but towing I don't care for it and that makes heat. I tried the tuner before the lift to see what the difference would be and it acted just like it does now. The diesel market has better tuning options for sure. I'm was basing the gas market to be the same. I'm the one of the few that feel that it's not for the better. I used to build transmissions professionally so I know what it should not be doing and I don't feel like doing a rebuild just yet.
I don't know but, my 99 f 450 had shift flare from day one and it was stock.
That tranny lasted 417000 until it gave out. I recorded that in my maint. Log
Just saying.....

Old 11-03-2014, 06:38 PM
dontletoff
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my first post and its because I agree the 5 star performance tunes shifting is really bad imo. I got this for my father with the intake and I feel I wasted my money. Example of one type of shifting, getting on the highway the truck will lug in 6th gear, give it pedal, stay in 6th, give it more pedal, still 6th, then a little more pedal, it would drop a gear, then drop another gear and be at redline, then shift again. It would literally rev to the moon for 1/2 a second and shift back into 4th. Not smooth at all. This is with 4:30 gears.

I called Mike to talk about the issues with performance tune and he told me he knows its better and if I do not like it load the performance and tow. My first impression of 5 star and the customer service is not good. I just wish when they advertise that it is great for everyday driving it would be and not tell me to have my father load a tow package when he never tows.

Overall if I did it again I would search even more and probably not go with 5 star.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:42 PM
GSSF17
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting. Loading a 5 star tune in my truck was the best thing I have ever done. I am really picky, and the tunes are badazz. I leave it in 87 performance now pretty much all the time unless I am towing my boat or camper. I ran it in 87 eco on my trip to GA last month and was very satisfied with that tune as well.

Solid shifts, great power, and good customer service. Pretty hard to beat. The gripes I have heard are few and far between

YMMV

Old 11-03-2014, 09:11 PM
dontletoff
Freshman User
Well I have had the opposite experience, returned the truck to stock and shifts awesome. My father brought it to ford to see if the transmission was working properly. Of course they find no issue because on stock tune it shifts perfect. I honestly thought the transmission was going to break with the 91/93 performance tune. I uploaded the 91 performance/tow and shifting is better but low end feels not as strong.

I know in a quarter mile test back to back it was pretty much identical trap speed between stock and 91 performance. Maybe 1 mph difference.

Does anyone know of someone who does custom tuning through datalogs and email? I custom tuned my car with a fella through emails and he sent me 16-18 different calibrations until he said it was perfect, and my car was night and day difference compared to stock and tuned, the truck is hard to tell to be honest. Anyone do such a thing with sct tuners?

Old 11-04-2014, 02:18 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by dontletoff
This is my first post and its because I agree the 5 star performance tunes shifting is really bad imo. I got this for my father with the intake and I feel I wasted my money. Example of one type of shifting, getting on the highway the truck will lug in 6th gear, give it pedal, stay in 6th, give it more pedal, still 6th, then a little more pedal, it would drop a gear, then drop another gear and be at redline, then shift again. It would literally rev to the moon for 1/2 a second and shift back into 4th. Not smooth at all. This is with 4:30 gears.

I called Mike to talk about the issues with performance tune and he told me he knows its better and if I do not like it load the performance and tow. My first impression of 5 star and the customer service is not good. I just wish when they advertise that it is great for everyday driving it would be and not tell me to have my father load a tow package when he never tows.

Overall if I did it again I would search even more and probably not go with 5 star.
I'd be happy to look further into the issues you are having with father's truck. Do you feel the truck is not smooth due to the lugging or due to firm shift points? Our performance tune has the firmest shift points while the tow tune is milder shifting while maintaining engine performance. For comparison sake have you tried any of our other tunes? This way I know where to begin to revamp your performance tune. My apologies your first attempt to fix it did not go as they should.

email us at chris@5startuning.com or jacob@5startuning.com

Old 11-04-2014, 02:28 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by GSSF17
Interesting. Loading a 5 star tune in my truck was the best thing I have ever done. I am really picky, and the tunes are badazz. I leave it in 87 performance now pretty much all the time unless I am towing my boat or camper. I ran it in 87 eco on my trip to GA last month and was very satisfied with that tune as well.

Solid shifts, great power, and good customer service. Pretty hard to beat. The gripes I have heard are few and far between

YMMV
Appreciate you sharing your experiences! The performance tune is where I spent most of the time on my vehicle as well. It is always a blast to drive and has power ready anytime that I need it.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:34 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by saratoga2011
I'm not a fan of the 5 star tunes' shifting either. When I first got the tunes, the idle speed was set too high, close to 900 and it would want to roll through the brakes if I didn't keep a lot of pressure on the pedal. He adjusted the idle back to stock for me which worked... adjusting the idle speed in the options on the tuner did nothing. Throttle response = great. Shifting I don't like.

On the 87 perf it sometimes slams into 3rd and always hunts between 4th and 5th seeing as I drive in traffic that varies between 40 and 45 which is annoying. Plus the converter doesn't lock until 50 with this tune. Mileage is definitely lower than stock (not a big deal to me).

The 87 eco tune shifts too early just like the stock 2011 I had. It wants to be in 6th with the converter locked at 40 and lugs the engine. The stock 2013 shifting is much better than that... it won't go into 6th until 45 unless I'm accelerating. Didn't leave this in long enough to judge any changes to mileage.

The 93 perf tune has shift points raised like the 87 perf tune only it shifts harder and will chirp the tires if you get into it. It's fun but impractical for everyday driving.

Haven't tried the tow tune.

Stock, the truck shifts fine- no flares, no slamming into 3rd just like another poster mentioned. I'm running the sct 87 strategy tune that comes with the tuner and I like it better than the 5 star tunes... mileage is the same as stock, it shifts normally without doing anything weird or unexpected, has a little more power and will hold 6th without downshifting better than stock. I am probably going to sell the tuner pretty cheap here shortly, it just wasn't what I expected.
I'd be happy to make changes to fit your driving style. The info you posted gives me a great starting point on which changes to make for you. Give me a call or an email and I'd be happy to get you revisions. 843-618-1913 or chris@5startuning.com

Old 11-04-2014, 02:50 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by projectnitemare
I have a 14 F250, about 10,000 miles so far. I installed a lift kit and 37s plus the tuner at 4000. The 5 star tunes helped the throttle response a lot but the shifting has some left to be desired. I had revised tunes sent that were better. My major concern was with every tune I would get a 2-3 shift flare and occasionally 3-4 when I would do a hot start. Never did it stock and goes away when it's returned to stock. The converter unlocks too quickly and stays unlocked a long time. Lots of hills in the area so the converter in and out all the time gets old. Looking for suggestions on a different tuning to try before I toss the tuner all together, it's been returned to stock for a while now and drives fine.
When you were experiencing shift flare, what RPM/speed were you at? I can also change your tune where your converter holds longer. I'd be happy to update your tunes to better fit your driving style.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:55 AM
dontletoff
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fordmdb
I'd be happy to look further into the issues you are having with father's truck. Do you feel the truck is not smooth due to the lugging or due to firm shift points? Our performance tune has the firmest shift points while the tow tune is milder shifting while maintaining engine performance. For comparison sake have you tried any of our other tunes? This way I know where to begin to revamp your performance tune. My apologies your first attempt to fix it did not go as they should.

email us at chris@5startuning.com or jacob@5startuning.com
Thanks, I will definitely take you up on this and email soon. Overall my father just thought the shifting was strange, and his mpg went way down with the 91 & 93 performance tune driving easy.

To answer the question I didn't like how it lugged, giving it half peddle and it just stays in 6th I didn't care for, I wanted to just drop to 4th/5th accelerate smooth and go back to 6th, instead of it dropping so it screams for brief moment then shifts into the gear I was looking for.

I have tried 91/93 performance and 91 tow. Tow shifting is much more like stock and the transmission does shift better. The strange thing that I found with the 93 performance tune was at 55 mph cruising, it would stay in 5th, and would not cruise in 6th gear. Not sure if that is how it should be or not but and observation I had that I felt just wasn't right.

Thanks again for the response and I will email you soon.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:37 AM
Joedert
New User
Hey Mike anything yet on the 2015 SD 6.2?

Old 11-10-2014, 05:43 AM
Super Dan-o
New User
Originally Posted by Joedert
Hey Mike anything yet on the 2015 SD 6.2?
Were there any changes from 2014?
My understanding is they are the same so tunes shouldn't need to be tweaked for 2015.
I'm curious too though as I have a 2015 and am looking for a tune after break-in.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:00 PM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
I too am at a place where I took the tune out of my truck. I hate the way it idles in gear and it is especially bad in 4lo as it trys to pull very hard even riding the brakes when you are trying to be real delicate pulling something out of the ditch. Also unlike many, I prefer the stock tunes ability to shift into 6th below 50mph and when stock it shifts in and out of 6th very smooth. However when it has the 87 tow tune in it it slams real hard back into 5th. I think I will keep the truck stock most of the time as I like it much better hauling my flat deck with 8000lb of water on it.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:42 PM
GSSF17
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyThunder
I too am at a place where I took the tune out of my truck. I hate the way it idles in gear and it is especially bad in 4lo as it trys to pull very hard even riding the brakes when you are trying to be real delicate pulling something out of the ditch. Also unlike many, I prefer the stock tunes ability to shift into 6th below 50mph and when stock it shifts in and out of 6th very smooth. However when it has the 87 tow tune in it it slams real hard back into 5th. I think I will keep the truck stock most of the time as I like it much better hauling my flat deck with 8000lb of water on it.
That's too bad. Maybe see if 5star can do something for you. I can not imagine going back to stock- like, ever. In run perf and tow tunes constantly with no problems. Happy as heck with them.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:49 AM
dontletoff
Freshman User
Originally Posted by JohnnyThunder
I would email 5 star. It wasn't 30 minutes and Mike replied with an updated tune based on what I wanted and to make it shift a bit different. Now I haven't had a chance to try it because the truck is put away for the winter, but I'm excited to give it a go.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:44 PM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
I really should fire them off an email. I don't drive the truck very often anymore other than hauling water for our acreage every few weeks and it only hauled the travel trailer once this summer without the tune in it. I do like the seeming increase in low end power through the butt dyno though.

Quick Reply: Any custom tunes besides 5 star?