6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Any custom tunes besides 5 star?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 08:53 AM
fishbones182
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my 5 star tune I just run the 87 daily tow have zero issues. Fans no longer run at cold start and idle comes down much quicker. Truck is more responsive as well. Sorry to hear you guys are having trouble. Have you contacted 5 star to see if they can tweak the tune for you?

Old 09-08-2015, 09:47 AM
dontletoff
Freshman User
Originally Posted by projectnitemare
I had pretty much the same problems from day one. It did that on all the tunes except the preloaded sct ones. The huge shift flare between 2 and 3 is what made me return to stock and leave it there. Like you said it was like going into neutral. I bought it to correct the speedometer and for some reason it can't do that either. You can input any option and the speedometer still works exactly the same
Yeah, My speedo is off as well. I noticed it is a few mph fast with the big tires. Whenever I gas it then eventually let off the shift flare is unreal, the truck just keeps going and hangs in gear.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:51 AM
dontletoff
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fishbones182
I love my 5 star tune I just run the 87 daily tow have zero issues. Fans no longer run at cold start and idle comes down much quicker. Truck is more responsive as well. Sorry to hear you guys are having trouble. Have you contacted 5 star to see if they can tweak the tune for you?
I contacted them earlier about a different issue and Mike made some adjustments. I need to call them about this and see what they can do or if I can send them a datalog or something.

Are their any tuners that use the SCT X4 and will fully custom tune these trucks???? I find it crazy that everyone gets the same "base" tune.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:54 AM
fishbones182
Senior User

You can give the guys at more power tuning a call and see what they could do for you. The base tuning is all that most will ever need. Unless of course your doing mods for high hp and torque.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:50 AM
dontletoff
Freshman User
You can give the guys at more power tuning a call and see what they could do for you. The base tuning is all that most will ever need. Unless of course your doing mods for high hp and torque.
Well I have the AFE stage 2 intake with the tuner, and why else would I add it, I want more HP and Tq. The higher the better

My car with full custom tune & only intake gained 17 whp and MPG increased, when I added the header, throttle body, exhaust, retuned, it was at 40+whp above stock, that is just a 4 cylinder and it runs perfect, so for me the fully custom is what I prefer.

I just want the truck to run really well, and these little issues drives me crazy, gives me the feeling I wasted my money. But I'll call Mike and see what we can do before I branch out.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:36 AM
fishbones182
Senior User

I'm talking mods like different intake, cams, blowers big hp add on's. If you buy your parts from 5 star they will update your tune to get the most out of the add one's. For most people the small upgrades don't require a data log in most situations although sometimes it's needed.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:32 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by dontletoff
I contacted them earlier about a different issue and Mike made some adjustments. I need to call them about this and see what they can do or if I can send them a datalog or something.

Are their any tuners that use the SCT X4 and will fully custom tune these trucks???? I find it crazy that everyone gets the same "base" tune.
We can fully customize each and every tune. From stock vehicles to fully modified to full datalogs we can tweak almost any aspect of the vehicle. Give us a call or email. Our main emails are chris@5startuning.com, jacob@5startuning.com, josh@5startuning.com and of course mike@5startuning.com.

Chris

Old 09-09-2015, 03:23 AM
dontletoff
Freshman User
I'm talking mods like different intake, cams, blowers big hp add on's. If you buy your parts from 5 star they will update your tune to get the most out of the add one's. For most people the small upgrades don't require a data log in most situations although sometimes it's needed.
Well I have the stage 2 intake, the twin turbo is just not in the budget right now. lol

Old 09-09-2015, 03:25 AM
dontletoff
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fordmdb
We can fully customize each and every tune. From stock vehicles to fully modified to full datalogs we can tweak almost any aspect of the vehicle. Give us a call or email. Our main emails are chris@5startuning.com, jacob@5startuning.com, josh@5startuning.com and of course mike@5startuning.com.

Chris
Thanks Chris, I appreciate the customer service. I'll email now and you let me know what I should do.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:05 PM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordmdb
I've got your tunes in queue making the changes you requested. Happy to help!
It has been a few months now since I got the new tunes from 5 Star and I have some amount of miles on the truck with the 87 Daily / tow tune and it is a MAJOR improvement over my original tunes. The truck drives much nicer all around and the shifts are nice and clean. As for mileage I drove from Moose Jaw to Minot and back at almost 80 mph and averaged 17 US MPG hand calculated. Not to shabby for a 7300lb 4x4. I have pulled my 35' trailer once and in T/H this thing is a beast, it has never pulled like it does now. I can hardly wait to go on a long haul with the RV and run the 91 tune.

Thanks so much 5 Star for the updated tunes.