6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Fuel Injector does not look right

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 08:35 PM
triplerpos
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Injector does not look right

Fuel injector was replaced by a shop later not working as it should made it to another shop on the way to Ontario and they found the injector looked like this.
They never seen or heard of anything like this.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:39 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh boy that doesn't look good!!!

Have they looked into the cylinder at all? Have they pulled the GP for that cylinder to see what it looks like?

Usually when an injector looks like that, the cylinder has some sort of damage to hit.

I hope I am wrong...

Old 09-30-2014, 08:40 PM
triplerpos
New User
If this helps

Note along the neck there is a name and number KEMAN 32112
Its a 2003 6.0 Powerstroke.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:43 PM
triplerpos
New User
Not taken apart yet But wondering if the shop I had taken it to could have installed the wrong injector if that could be possible. just shooting in the dark here.... Can a piston really hit the fuel injector?

I know i will have to pull the heads to look further as I bought a snake camera which is to wide for the injector port to see what damage is.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:58 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
That doesn't look like an impact. It looks like either the tip broke off or there was detonation that melted it.

I do not know how you could get the wrong injector. As far as I know there is no other engine that uses the same injector body diameter. I could be wrong....someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:59 PM
triplerpos
New User
Restlesswildman Thanks any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:02 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
I would honestly say there is a bigger issue.

When was the last time you drained the HFCM using the water separator drain plug and changed filters.

Was this issue a quick unset or did it happen slowly?

Smoking at all? If so what color.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:02 PM
triplerpos
New User
I am willing to try a used injector to see for a few moments is the engine will run with a replacement. But will take your advice and wait for more replys.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:07 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
If you can find a used injector to put in that is KNOWN TO be good by all means go for it.

If it was me, I would pull the GP and see what it looks like before I went any further. If it looks anything like this, I would install the injector and do a compression check. If it is low, I would do a leak down test.

If you have access to a bore scope, you could have a look into the cylinder with the injector out.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:09 PM
triplerpos
New User
Engine was lagging made it to a shop who diagnosed and replaced the injector after 120 km i had to pull in to another repair place which pulled the injector out and looked liked the pic.
I then had the truck tow it to ontario where it sits now in the driveway. the engine still turns freely.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:13 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Although I haven't been into a 6.0L engine in awhile (because they've long been out of warranty by now), the last times I've been into them on a regular basis and saw an injector(s) like that, there has most definitely been cylinder head/piston damage as a result.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:13 PM
triplerpos
New User
No color just loosing power. Had to hold one foot on the gas and left foot on the brake to keep engine running wanting to find a repair place as i was to far from home and across the border.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:21 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by m-chan68
Although I haven't been into a 6.0L engine in awhile (because they've long been out of warranty by now), the last times I've been into them on a regular basis and saw an injector(s) like that, there has most definitely been cylinder head/piston damage as a result.

Take this man's ^^^^^ word as he is one of the forum's authority on the 6.0L

Old 09-30-2014, 09:23 PM
triplerpos
New User
Looking at the injector now it is round not flat so yes Restlesswildman Melted because punched would cause a flat mark. How does a injector become melted? I love this truck its a crew cab dually. Looking for any option I can fine not to give up.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:35 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
This is a 2003 truck, correct? That said, you really need to evaluate how money it is worth to repair a 12 year old vehicle. At this point, your next course of action shouldn't anything else other than getting your hands on a borescope to have a look/see into that cylinder. If there is even any damage to the piston/cylinder head at all (which I'm almost beyond certain there is), the most cost effective repair will most likely be an engine replacement with a known, good, used 2003 engine. If you even look at the cost of all the parts you are going to need, not to mention the added labour the of disassembly/assembly it's going to climb up either pretty close to, or maybe well surpass the outright cost of replacement with a GOOD used 2003 engine.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector does not look right