1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Another OT topic-Career changes

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 06:47 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Another OT topic-Career changes

This seems like a pretty diversified group so I thought I'd throw this out there and see what happens.

I've changed careers in my past, 25 years ago to something completely different and it worked out OK. Now I find myself wanting to do something else. I'd think most of you have changed careers but have any of you changed later in life? How did it work out? I just feel like I'm too old to change and I'm stuck.

My interest in old Ford trucks has always been strong since the day I set my eyes on the rusty hulk my dad bought 40+ years ago and that I still have that truck today, or at least the remnants of what I could salvage from it but work wise I'm looking for something different (see, I tied old Ford trucks into the post)

Old 09-30-2014, 07:20 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
I just retired from my job of 25 years and relocated to PA moved and starting fresh, I think in today environment nothing is etched in stone or a sure thing, what did you have in mind? Are your old car and truck skills good enough to carry you and your family? Buying ,redoing and flipping for profit?

Old 09-30-2014, 07:26 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob, I'm in the middle of the process as we speak. Can't say how it's going to turn out yet because I still don't know what I'm doing...lol. I will say the stats show average for working at a company now is five years max. Not like the old days of working/doing one thing forever. I subscribe to a list or site, whatever, called Brazen Careerist. They had an article the other day saying that even work based resumes, or more specifically company listings, aren't what people are looking for now. They say to emphasize your skills and what you could bring to the table for a company....or for your own business. It said to basically get used to change. Most people hate change. Anyway, I say age doesn't matter bud! Good luck!

Old 09-30-2014, 07:31 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Bob,
Basically, you can do anything you put your mind to.
I've been all over the board with work but the main bits are; I worked as a mechanic (or should I say Service Technician) for a long period, then I made a major change and did the whole starving student thing (while supporting kids and a mortgage), after that I bounced around a bit before ending up as a safety guy. I started that by being a compliance officer for OSHA and then moving to a private insurance company. I've been doing that for the last 13 years or so.

Changing careers is no big deal. The worst part is being the new guy, not really knowing the ins and outs of the new career, etc. but that doesn't last too long. If you have an opportunity to go do something you like and make a buck or two in the process, I say go for it. You can always fall back on what you've done in the past.

.....or......I'm sure your son would hire you for day labor on the farm.....LOL

Bobby

Old 09-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Bob, I retired today.

But in 1973, I worked as a copier tech for a couple of years before getting into Service Management. I was in Service Management in that field until April of 94, when I changed careers and went into copier sales. I remained successfully in sales until 2010, when I returned to the MUCH less stressful service side as a copier tech again. Then 2 years later I got back into management.

All in all I've had 18 different jobs in nearly 2 years with one company and 40 years with another. That's rolling with a lot of punches.

I said all that to say this. Your question is about changing careers later in life.

I made my last radical, life changing switch when I was 60 years of age. And I'm glad I did it... now. At the time, I reduced my income by 2/3 and started carrying a tool bag again. But that qualified me for the promotion to the management position I just retired from.

So back to your final statement. If you want a change and you feel stuck, do yourself a favor and go do something else. Life is about changes.

And good luck, whatever you decide.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:00 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ya feel the need then just do it bob . you gotta keep yourself happy and you aren't doing what your doing so .......... i keep saying that if and when the postal contract driver gig is up i'm giving up my cdl { been driving trucks for way to long now ! } and gonna be the grumpiest , meanest , biggest arseholeasaurus door greeter walmart ever had ..............

Old 09-30-2014, 08:02 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will retire May. I will be looking for a part time gig (maybe one where you get a restroom break). I'll be able to live off of my retirement check, but I still want to make some extra money for travel and toys. I'm not sure what I'll be doing, but it will be nice not to have to worry about having a full time job. I can always say "Welcome to Walmart." edit to note that the Springfield psychic connection with Kevin is still intact. He posted while I was still typing.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Hey Kevin what am I thinking about right now?

Old 09-30-2014, 08:34 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Changing careers is definitely a big decision. One I made myself about 12 years ago. I got a job in a body shop right out of high shcool sweeping floors and paint prepping. That turned into becoming a pretty fair painter and car builder, spending the majority of 23 years working in custom and restoration shops, building some pretty amazing cars and trucks, and touring a few around the northwest at ISCA shows, winning awards of some kind with every one. By the time I hit 40, the body was plagued with hand and shoulder pain that wouldn't quit. That, combined with income not commiserate with the talent and work involved, it was time for a change.

In 2002 I studied and got my real estate license, and haven't looked back. Lots of people told me at the time I was throwing away my talent, but that didn't stop me. Sure, it's been hard but the attention to detail I was used to building cars have helped keep my business on track. You've been a business owner so I know you know all about the hard work (much harder than it looks on tv), long hours, business before fun, etc. But in the big picture I have no regrets. Frankly, I was hoping your new gig would work out for you. It sounds like you may be having second thoughts about working for others again. What are you considering?

Old 10-01-2014, 07:16 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Just throwing this out there, don't know if youd be interested or not. 3D printing is growing pretty fast right now. You could get some CAD software and a printer and start making things for people. There was a kid here at penn state that started a company thats still in college that is growing pretty fast. They make simple things like phone cases, key chains,etc. Maybe you could get something going and make ***** for cars or other parts that are hard to find. If you could invest the money, metal 3D printing has really come a long way as well.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:11 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Maybe my imput will let you know what its like not to make the change. I have been a merchant marine for 41 years as my father did for 48 years and my grandfather also for 49.
I have always had second jobs that i excelled in but never switched to on a permanent status. You will always wonder WHAT IF so find the one that fits your comfort level and stay with it and make your days on earth enjoyable.The bottom line is if you enjoy what you do you never work a day in your life.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:51 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Thanks guys for the replies.

The position I am in right now, if no one knows from a previous post of mine, is I owned my own business for 15 years. I was doing OK for the first 13 years or so but then the economy slowed. I lost my three best customers in a period of about two months, one turned into a total ***, a second found another vendor and a third reformed their company and no longer farmer out jobs. About two months ago I got a job with the third customer doing what I've been doing for them as a sub-contractor for over 10 years. The job is a very good job and pays pretty well with good benefits but I'm just not happy with the job. I think a major part of it is the "Working for myself" thing. It's really hard adjusting to being pretty much the grunt or low man on the totem pole. Although I have always liked doing this type of work, I've been doing this type of work for 25 years, I have just lost the passion and desire to do it anymore. I got pretty burned out the last two years just from the BS I've had to deal with customers who mostly cared about the cost instead of the quality of work. They'd go to another supplier to save 5% even thought they'd admit they got a poorer quality product.

I would just like to find a whole different line of work but at my age, 52, it's kind of difficult to switch occupations. I am the major wage earner in the family, I am the one responsible for the insurance. It would be extremely hard to switch careers without having insurance.

I do enjoy working on old vehicles but I have had experience 25+ years ago working in the auto body field and enjoyed the work but not the long hours, dealing with chemicals and the low pay. I still do work on the side but I don't think I could make a living doing it. The 3D idea is interesting but there would be a big monetary investment and right now we're trying to pay off the debt I incurred trying to keep my business afloat "one more month". I have a nice building with a mortgage that I really want to sell but right now with the commercial real estate market I might be able to sell it for what I owe on it but probably lose $50k I've paid on it so far.

My main question I was asking if anyone changed careers in "mid life" and survived. I would like to start another business and be my own boss again but I just don't see that happening. I just feel stuck. I suppose I'm not in a bad position right now, I have a job and it does pay good but I just feel stuck.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:27 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2

My main question I was asking if anyone changed careers in "mid life" and survived. I would like to start another business and be my own boss again but I just don't see that happening. I just feel stuck. I suppose I'm not in a bad position right now, I have a job and it does pay good but I just feel stuck.
Bob, I know the feeling of being stuck, been there for some time myself.
I also have been self employed for many years and cringe at the thought of giving up the freedom that comes along with that title.
I started my life as a mechanic at the tender young age of two sitting on the fender of my uncle's race car, handing him wrenches. Through the years I progressed to bicycles, lawn mowers, cars and now work on heavy duty trucks and heavy equipment.
I have been known as a jack of all trades, I try to learn at least something about any work I need done or need to try and do. I have at one point or time done most aspects of home construction, all the way from clearing the land to puttting the ridge cap on the roof and interior finish work. I am a passable plumber, electrician, appliance repairman and have a pretty good feel for operating heavy equipment.
I spent a significant sum a few years ago going to school to learn the ins and outs of RV repair, even as far as getting master certified. That sorta crashed when the economy tanked in '08 and I really lost intrest in it after my wife passed in '09.
All of that being said, I always seem to come back to turning wrenches because it is what I know and can make a good living at.
I'll turn 50 later this month and if I thought there was something out there that I could make a living at and enjoy, I'd be signing on the dotted line tomorrow.
Someone told me once that having a job that you enjoy my not show up in the checking accout, but it will make your life so much more enjoyable. Hang in there, you seem like a person that is willing to do what it takes to care for your family, hopefully something will come along that you can enjoy while earning a living.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:48 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Jeff, thanks.

I also consider myself a typical "Jack of all trades, master of none". On the farm I seem to constantly get jobs that no one thinks can be done by anyone but a professional. I'm always asked how I know how to build or fix something. I just say "I saw it done on TV once". My dad was also a big help, I don't think I ever saw a project he couldn't do. If it has to be done it will get done.

The problem I have is I'm "master of none". I don't have the experience or training to do much else than what I've been doing for the last 25 years. I know that's not a good reason not to try something else. I figure I'll work at my present job into next year and pay off the debt I incurred with the business and then see if there is something else I can do.

Actually, I have always wanted to do something artistic. I like working with the computer manipulating drawings and pictures. I like doing photo shop type of work, altering images and repairing damaged pictures. I am trying to see if I can do some type of that work while working full time.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:00 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bob I owned my business for 45 years. Built it into the second largest circulation computer service bureau in the Chicago metro area. Had over 110 magazines I did the data base work for and pretty much hated it for most of the time. The internet and economy has decimated the publishing industry so I cut my losses and downsides to 15 pubs I felt were good reasonable people to deal with. Got lucky and sold the office building and let the staff of 45 go. The economy hit the 15 I kept and 3 went belly up and 8 left to save less than $500 to a $1000 per year. All 8 said the service was no where near what we gave them. The good part was I made a decent living and was able to provide what the family needed. You seem to be doing the same thing. My point is maybe it's just the sophomore blues you're going thru. You say you liked the work you did until the economy went south. Now you have a decent pay check they seem to be good people to work for. You have possible future advancement. And your not sure what you really want to do. Spend some time trying to figure out how to market your building and get that debt off your back. Your whole outlook may just change. You may have time to enjoy the things you really like to do outside of work and not the worry of your own business. Work may become enjoyable a again. I wish I could have done that. Don't mean to burst your bubble but the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:16 PM
DougofMontana
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Bob, I retired from 28 years in the Army as a facility engineer in 2000. Seeing as how military retirement doesn't pay all the bills, in the interim 14 years I've worked as the president of a firearms company, steel department manager at a steel wholesaler, cabinet maker, building maintenance manager at a premier ski destination and have been the facility manager at a small hospital the past 6 1/2 years. This is my last month of "working" as I retire in November. It's scary as hell, all those changes, but a guy has to do what a guy has to do to pay the bills. Try find your passion and follow it

Quick Reply: Another OT topic-Career changes