1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Taking the fun out of it

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 08:23 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Taking the fun out of it

During our family vacation last week we were going to travel through a city where a person who restores '48-52 Ford trucks lives. I had talked to this person about a year ago after he appeared in a vintage truck magazine article about his work. When I got close to his city I gave him a call and told him I was passing through and asked if I could stop by to take a look at his truck collection. He seemed glad to have me stop by so I drove about a half hour, one way, out of my way to visit him. When I arrived he wanted to know what kind of truck I was looking for. I reminded him that I was just passing through and wanted to check out his collection and talk a little Ford truck. As soon as he found out I wasn't interested in buying one of his over priced trucks his attitude changed and he told me he didn't have time for "tire kickers" and didn't have time to talk, he could have told me this over the phone and saved me some time. This guy seems only to be in it for the money. I think this guy was very rude and showed poor business sense as I will never refer people to him, as I have done a few times in the past.

I enjoy old trucks and talking Ford trucks with anyone who will listen. Fortunately, I have met a whole lot more good, friendly people through this hobby than bad. I hope I never get so involved in this hobby that I lose the fun in it. I thought about trying to make a part time business selling old Ford truck parts until a friend told me that doing so would become work and it wouldn't be fun anymore, so I will be content on selling a few parts here and there to help fund my projects.

Thanks for letting me vent and let's keep the fun in this hobby.

Old 07-15-2003, 09:51 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Taking the fun out of it

Was he a Yuppie?
Ya know their the downfall of modern civilization!
Bob, I'll talk to ya anytime

Sorry to see the "Aficionado" bit, I'm told it's incurable

Old 07-15-2003, 09:57 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking the fun out of it

What a putz that guy is! Well, the hell with him AND his attitude. Very rude, I agree. He should've asked you if you were buying or "just looking" over the phone like you said. Well, I hope this doesn't sour your enthusiasm. There's TONS of nice, personable, friendly folk here on FTE that love to talk trucks, so give us all ya got!

Cheers,
Daryl
PS-gee, it'd be a shame to "accidentally" mention the guys name, his business name and where he's located so we could spread the word about him. A down-right shame it'd be....

Old 07-15-2003, 12:00 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Taking the fun out of it

I'm not going to let a few jerks get me down on this hobby. I been doing this too long and have met too many good people, many through this site. I just want to make all of you aware that there is more to life than these trucks (I know, know there may be a few of you who don't realize this ) and take it easy, enjoy life and keep this stuff fun.

Old 07-15-2003, 12:41 PM
Big Hands
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking the fun out of it

Bob
Unfortuantely our hobby is like most any other....there are folks who are into it for the love of the hobby and give away much more than they will ever make be it advice, know how or actual work. Then there are those folks who look at it as a money making venture. Sure we all need to feed the family but for most of us, it's an avocation not a vocation.

AS DAryl said...those of us here on the forum will talk your ears off and as for looking at trucks, if you get to SC, stop in and look at mine, just try not to laugh directly at it....Just have the decency to wait until you get backin your car and get down the road.

Still in in for the fun

Steve

Old 07-15-2003, 01:46 PM
barry
Postmaster
Taking the fun out of it

BOb,

Email me @ clussy38(No Email Addresses In Posts!), Where you in Connecticut by chance? If so, you had a normal experience with this individual. We can talk off site .

Barry

50 F-1

Old 08-09-2003, 05:50 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Taking the fun out of it

Hey Bob -

I know I've dredged up an oooollldd thread. Actually started before I got into this.

Anyhow, I was reding your blurb on that '48 - '52 resto guy. To be honest, and I feel like I've been here long enough for it, people like that **** me off! People like that suffer from ****-cranal inversion. Being in somethnig this fun, fullfilling and interesting, and teeming with memories and history....is only *******ized by people like that.

I've run into them too, and they don't like me too well after I go away

SIGH.........I feel better. Hopefully this will make you feel better: As I've spouted off several times on here, I'm moving to Kansas to earn a degree in Antique Auto Restoration. Yeah, there's good money in it, but so what? I'm going because I can't own ALL of them, but I'll be able to save as many of them as possible with other people financing the "RESCUE"! Not to mention the ability to finish my own and help friends finish theirs. Spending this time with others and sharing information between friends to help them reach that goal of enjoying their piece of American ingenuity is what it's all about for me.

I'm not entering the resto world for the money, this goes alot deeper than that for me.

"Words of wisdom, by Shane Walp"

Last edited by Sixoh; 08-09-2003 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:16 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Taking the fun out of it

Yup, momma said there would be people like that. "Now you make sure that feller's problem doesn't become your business." Good old momma ... always right on the money, always right to the point.

Old 08-09-2003, 07:26 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Taking the fun out of it

I always feel if you can make money on something your enjoy and are good at, go for it. Unfortunely, I wasn't able to make money working on old vehicles so I found something else I was good at, at least in my opinion. I like what I do and find enjoyment in doing it. I also like to have fun and be friendly to the people I deal with, and try not to be an ***. I just like to keep the hobby I use to escape the daily grind light hearted and fun. I also make a little selling parts from trucks I buy, I don't think I gouge anyone on my prices, I know I won't become rich selling parts but I find a lot of enjoyment in talking to the people I sell parts to. My wife and kids don't appreciate the old truck hobby so I have to find some way of persuading people to talk trucks and enticing them with truck parts seems to work. Doing this I have met a lot more good people than bad. I always have this place too.

Old 08-09-2003, 11:30 PM
jeffh
Elder User
Taking the fun out of it

I suppose he would've been happy if you lied and said you were looking for any old truck and then spent several hours talking shop with him and then just left with his card? Hopefully this was just some mis-communication at the first and this guy isn't just a sleaze who gets all friendly when $$$ appear in his eyes. Sorry it ruined your day, though...