6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Ford shortblock and head review.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:17 AM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford shortblock and head review.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:26 AM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Super Duty Service
A little off topic Anthony but I thought you were an over the road driver with your 6.0? I see you may have converted?

Old 10-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
We can still head out,, but the shop has been busy enough that we can stay home. I need to be able to explain how my 06 has 808k too. Customers absolutely love it. Also the fact that I bought it with 85k on it. I'm not driving something that someone else has worked to get the miles racked up.

Here's another vid

Old 10-01-2014, 09:53 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
The deck of the block looks like they hit it with an abrasive disc on a die grinder. I would not be happy if that was mine from Ford.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:08 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It actually looks like it was hit with an orbital DA!

So what year is the block? Did you use a bore mic and see what the bores measures?

it looks like they did just the bare minimum on the machine work.

Either that or it was a Monday or Friday rebuild!

Old 10-01-2014, 10:39 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Would be interesting to use one of these on it.
SR400 Surface Roughness Tester

But that would really be a lot of $$ and a lot of OVER KILL.

How did it test out for being with in tolerance of any deck warpage?

Sean

Old 10-02-2014, 02:10 AM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I would be a little concerned that the cyls were not crosshatch honed and the rings may not seat properly

Old 10-02-2014, 03:14 AM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Can you guys guess what I would do if I had to pay for this block?? Do you remember what happened last time I got a subpar engine?? I'm a picky sob. And I just got my "spot check" on Ford,,, finally. I wonder if it'd be different if they knew it was going to a shop that will air the laundry on the product.

I've got a fresh machined block that I'm going to put side by side and have my dealer rep see what a properly machined block should look like. Then let him see what his looks like. It's night n day.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:17 AM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115
I would be a little concerned that the cyls were not crosshatch honed and the rings may not seat properly
Not just that they won't seat,, they will trash the block.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:30 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
With the newer technology of ring material and such I see in other products, they may not need some of the same features we saw years ago. It would be worth asking to confirm that. Also if the cylinders have a coating on the walls, crosshatch honing may not be required anymore and in the cases of better cylinder wall coatings, honing may actually kill the cylinders.

Wouldn't hurt to ask someone that knows the manufacturing they are using, we all know how fast the industry moves and innovations never announced.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:27 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Super Duty Service
Can you guys guess what I would do if I had to pay for this block?? Do you remember what happened last time I got a subpar engine?? I'm a picky sob. And I just got my "spot check" on Ford,,, finally. I wonder if it'd be different if they knew it was going to a shop that will air the laundry on the product.

I've got a fresh machined block that I'm going to put side by side and have my dealer rep see what a properly machined block should look like. Then let him see what his looks like. It's night n day.
Does this rep know what he/she will be looking at and what/why it should be
the way is needs to be? In other words is this person a mechanic or a desk jockey.
We all know how smart the desk jockeys can not be. They drink the Kool-aid and
spew it right back out at some person that most times does not have your knowledge

Nitriding could be the reason. But that is just a guess. I don't even know if they are doing
that to diesels. It's just that one show of the walls reminded me of what one of Lycoming
cylinder looks like. So maybe or maybe not. Most likely not.
But I can't wait to hear what ANthony finds out.

Originally Posted by WatsonR
With the newer technology of ring material and such I see in other products, they may not need some of the same features we saw years ago. It would be worth asking to confirm that. Also if the cylinders have a coating on the walls, crosshatch honing may not be required anymore and in the cases of better cylinder wall coatings, honing may actually kill the cylinders.

Wouldn't hurt to ask someone that knows the manufacturing they are using, we all know how fast the industry moves and innovations never announced.

Sean

Old 10-02-2014, 05:23 AM
Will Bite
Elder User
Anthony I would love to see the two blocks and heads side by side. Post up some pictures. .

Old 10-02-2014, 10:14 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anthony, I'm curious if you don't mind. What do you charge for a rebuild compared to what it costs for a Ford reman? Just wondering what the cost is for quality. I think I'd be inclined to lean toward the quality/detail route, if within reasonable.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:43 AM
pjerrn
Senior User
Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
Just wondering what the cost is for quality. I think I'd be inclined to lean toward the quality/detail route, if within reasonable.
I do not know what you think is reasonable but it will cost you more if the quality is lacking.

I stopped by the shop last night and got to hang with Anthony and Julie and give a hand here and there with stuff on this block. Anthony's attention to detail is OCD. He spent almost 2 hours prepping the block surfaces for Heads. His shop helper (Phillip) was fixing his turbo and Anthony made him wire wheel the housings outside so nothing was floating in the air (it was raining off and on all evening). Anthony finally called it a night when the head gasket he was going to put on had cardboard debris embedded in it from not being shipped in a protective wrapper.

This takes time and does cost more for both the customer and the business, but it makes a big impact on the outcome. I would rather pay for this and do it one time than get a great deal on a crappy product and pay twice. There are places that you can take shortcuts, but as anyone who has looked through this site knows this is not one of them. You will do it again.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:01 AM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by WatsonR

Possibly..............But do a little Google search for crosshatch cyl honing. I couldn't find any info on not doing it. It's pretty much a standard of the industry.

Hastings Mfg (remember Hasting piston rings?) even talks about the angle of the "hatching"

From: https://www.hastingsmfg.com/ServiceT...efinishing.htm
Cylinder bore refinishing is extremely important in the engine rebuild process. There are some basic rules and facts that will prevent common problems incurred when deglazing or refinishing cylinders.
CROSS HATCH ANGLES

The correct angle for cross hatch lines to intersect is approximately 45 degrees. Too steep an angle promotes oil migration down the cylinder resulting in a thin oil film which can cause ring and cylinder scuffing.
Too flat a cross hatch angle can hold excess oil which conversely causes thicker oil films which the piston rings will ride up on or hydroplane. Excessive oil consumption will result.
Here's an article from "Engine Professional"

It's a short PDF on cylinder refinishing. It's interesting to note that they all seem to talk about how to crosshatch hone or the angle at which crosshatch honing is optimum. none of them indicate that it's "ok" not to do it at all.

www.aera.org/ep/downloads/ep2/ep04-2008_10-18.pdf

If I saw a block where the cylinders didn't exhibit a honed finish (because the crosshatching was absent) I would conclude that the re-builder DIDN'T hone the cylinders after boring and before assembly.

Just because the short block is a "reman" doesn't mean every step was performed.

Just saying.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford shortblock and head review.