Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Reman eng & trans would you use?

Old 09-29-2014, 06:31 PM
SSBB
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Reman eng & trans would you use?

So after I put in all of the work on the cooling system on the truck I lost all oil pressure on highway and by the time I got over to the side of the road the engine seized and then proceeded to demolish the trans.

So I have not torn into it yet but I am guessing that it was my oil pump failing but not too sure. BUT any way. I am currently looking at remanufactured engine and trans. The only place I have looked is O'reilly for the both I am looking at around $4550. I don't really want to go over 5k into it.

Any other reliable names out there for a decent price. I know that skimping out on price is not exactly smart but I am on a budget and will need to be complete with in about 2 months.

Thanks for any help!

Old 09-29-2014, 09:14 PM
SSBB
Freshman User
I just realized that I did not include the engine or trans. The engine is 460 and the trans is a E4OD out of a '92 F250 4x4

Old 09-29-2014, 09:17 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What happened to the trans? A blown engine usually doesn't take out the trans too.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:16 AM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SSBB
So after I put in all of the work on the cooling system on the truck I lost all oil pressure on highway and by the time I got over to the side of the road the engine seized and then proceeded to demolish the trans.

So I have not torn into it yet but I am guessing that it was my oil pump failing but not too sure. BUT any way. I am currently looking at remanufactured engine and trans. The only place I have looked is O'reilly for the both I am looking at around $4550. I don't really want to go over 5k into it.

Any other reliable names out there for a decent price. I know that skimping out on price is not exactly smart but I am on a budget and will need to be complete with in about 2 months.

Thanks for any help!
Fordparts.com lists a 460 reman (from Ford) as costing $3434.67, and an E4OD reman costing 1874.30. Grand total from Ford $5308.97. If I'm going to pay that price, I'd rather buy from Ford direct. Now that's without install.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:31 AM
buffalobillsexhaust
Junior User
DO NOT i repeat DO NOT BUT ANY REBUILT ENGINE LONG BLOCK OR SHORT BLOCK THROUGH oreileys or any other auto parts store for that matter. I got totally *****ed on a long block 302 they sold me. it was poorly built absolute trash was blown up in 2500 miles couldnt get a dime of money back because i didnt record the break in procedure. your best bet is to find a good neighboorhood machine shop or someone you know to do the motor build and do all the install work yourself. pick up a used tranny from somewhere( i see no need to get a remanned tranny ive never had a problem with a decent used one) and bam you should be well under 5k.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:26 AM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I got a FORD reman 351 from a local dealer and while it was out I had a local trans shop rebuild the E4OD.

Engine 3600
Trans rebuild 2200

Old 09-30-2014, 10:59 AM
krooser
Elder User
Wow… these numbers you guys are throwing around here are simply incredible… I'd surely woudn't spend that kind of cash on a 20 year old truck even if I had it.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:16 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldn't buy a rebuilt anything from anywhere. Rather pull a junkyard motor and/or trans and run around on that til I can get the originals fixed up.

Originally Posted by krooser
Wow… these numbers you guys are throwing around here are simply incredible… I'd surely woudn't spend that kind of cash on a 20 year old truck even if I had it.
Some of us like to hold on to things for whatever reasons, be it memories made or otherwise, and would rather spend a little more to keep a good thing going.
Like this guy:

Old 09-30-2014, 11:47 AM
phoskins
Elder User
Originally Posted by buffalobillsexhaust
DO NOT i repeat DO NOT BUT ANY REBUILT ENGINE LONG BLOCK OR SHORT BLOCK THROUGH oreileys or any other auto parts store for that matter. I got totally *****ed on a long block 302 they sold me. it was poorly built absolute trash was blown up in 2500 miles couldnt get a dime of money back because i didnt record the break in procedure. your best bet is to find a good neighboorhood machine shop or someone you know to do the motor build and do all the install work yourself. pick up a used tranny from somewhere( i see no need to get a remanned tranny ive never had a problem with a decent used one) and bam you should be well under 5k.
I definitely agree with not getting a rebuilt engine from an auto parts store.

May I ask about how many miles were/are on the engine & transmission?

Best wishes.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:09 PM
cbakker
Laughing Gas
Your trans is probably ok, but it's always good to have a trans shop verify. Spend the money for a good reman motor, or pull a JY motor and find a local builder to rebuild it if necessary. If yours is rebuildable I would just go that route, if you can afford to have the truck sit for a while.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:16 PM
cman1120
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd definitely have to go with what others are saying and if you must go with a reman then go with one from Ford. I had one put into my truck about 15k ago or so and it's doing fine. Now one from Ford will probably cost more than the same thing from orileys, AutoZone ect but it'll pay off in the end if you want to keep the truck for any length of time. You could also rebuild yours/swap in a decent used setup too if you wanted.

As for why one would spend that kinda cash on an old truck- Dixie nailed it. It's because we love em and won't let em go unless we have to. I have spent about $8k fixing all the damage my ex did to my truck but to me it's worth it because I plan on keeping this truck till I die. YMMV

Edit: Fixed to correct redneck LMAO

Old 09-30-2014, 02:53 PM
Kanglar
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Monster transmission has some good rebuilt E4ODs at a good price. Put one in my truck after the original blew out and has been working great for about 30k miles so far. Super Duty E4OD Transmission, E4OD Super Duty Transmission, Monster E4OD Transmission

Old 09-30-2014, 03:51 PM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had a Jasper reman E4OD in mine for about 15k....and so far so good.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:25 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cman1120
As for why one would spend that kinda cash on an old truck- Trav nailed it.

I have spent about $8k fixing all the damage my ex did to my truck but to me it's worth it because I plan on keeping this truck till I die. YMMV
LMAO... I think you got the wrong redneck. That was me that nailed it for you.

And as for your ex... you should have told her what I told mine which is that if she damages your truck, she can have it, complete with free in-home installation. I wouldn't actually do that, but she didn't know that... and she didn't touch a dang thing.

OP, I'm really interested to know how the trans got damaged! All I can think of is that the engine seized up so fast that it snapped something?

Old 09-30-2014, 06:51 PM
SSBB
Freshman User
Alright guy, I was going to reply to each and every one that had a question for me but I think I will add it all in here.
1) The Trans started to slip about a week ago and when the motor locked up the rear tires skid then let go at the same time I heard a snap. I know the Trans is shot but the Diff and transfer case are okay. I will be replacing u-joints at this time.

2) I would not prefer to rebuild the current engine since I did find a new oil leak coming from the side where the #4 Con Rod went thru. Before I found that today, the reason was that I am going to be moving to CA and I was worried about the engine not being able to pass SMOG if I had to bore it over. Im not too sure on how strict they are since I have not lived there in 6 years.

3) I would gladly throw 6k into this truck and have a new power train and go out and spend 8-10K on another used truck that may have higher mileage or other issues that may happen. I thought about it a lot in the past few days and I really think I am making the right choice.

4) The Mileage is 134,985 and she a very clean truck. No cancer, no major dents, and decent paint.

5) I will go with Ford on the long block and get a felpro gasket kit and look into the Monster transmissions. I have heard good things. I will probably be getting a 20' boat here soon and would like the piece of mind when towing it.

I hope this answers all of the questions you guys have, and thanks for all of the input / comments to my question. All of you are AWESOME!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Reman eng & trans would you use?