Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

should I trade my 7.3 for a 6.9?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 02:58 PM
DmanNC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should I trade my 7.3 for a 6.9?

I have a 94 2wd 7.3 non turbo. I called a guy about trading my boat for his 86 4wd 6.9 and he wants to trade for my 7.3. I love my truck but would like to have 4wd. My question is is there a big difference in the 2 motors?

Old 09-28-2014, 03:34 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Without knowing the condition of both, kinda hard to give a well based opinion. Based solely on the information you provided, not sure. I won't buy 2wd anything unless it's a RWD car. I have an '86 F250 4x4 IDI now, so I'd opt for the '86 if it's a 4-speed. I'm all set with a 3-speed auto. If you have OD now, you'll be going back to 1:1.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:55 PM
DmanNC
Senior User
I know that was vague. His is a 4 spd and its pretty rough, some rust around the wheel wells. Mine is rust free and in decent shape, dents and dings. He wants to trade even but im not sure I can do that.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:11 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
how many miles on each truck? what location are we talking about? you can't post pics of either of the trucks? his is n/a as well?

Old 09-28-2014, 04:15 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by DmanNC
I know that was vague. His is a 4 spd and its pretty rough, some rust around the wheel wells. Mine is rust free and in decent shape, dents and dings. He wants to trade even but im not sure I can do that.
Condition of trucks alone, I'd stay with your RWD 7.3 IDI.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:16 PM
DmanNC
Senior User
Mine has 250k I think he has 180 on his. We are in nc. I have a new radiator, glow plug controller, new exhaust and brakes, also new IP. It runs excellent and I hate to start over. I love the body style and of course 4wd.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:19 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mechelement
Condition of trucks alone, I'd stay with your RWD 7.3 IDI.
that's a tough call.person A in Texas may feel the same way you do as owning a 4wd truck could simply be more bragging rights than off road use practicality to him.
person B in Alaska may feel a rusty 4wd holds more value than a clean 2wd as it may not even be something he could use there much.

Mine has 250k I think he has 180 on his. We are in nc. I have a new radiator, glow plug controller, new exhaust and brakes, also new IP. It runs excellent and I hate to start over. I love the body style and of course 4wd.
i don't think either of you could cry too hard with an even swap if a 4wd is required.what's he gunna do with a 2wd truck? park it and use a front wheel drive car in the winter? if so,why can't you do that instead? keep your cleaner 9th gen and run a beater car in nasty weather?

come the end of October, log truck gets taken off the road until April (and i keep chip out of the salted slush crap all i can and run my beater mazda 626 every chance i get.i use that for deer hunting,hiking/snow shoeing/running empty.whenever i don't need to haul.)

Old 09-28-2014, 04:23 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
that's a tough call.person A in Texas may feel the same way you do as owning a 4wd truck could simply be more bragging rights than off road use practicality to him. person B in Alaska may feel a rusty 4wd holds more value than a clean 2wd as it may not even be something he could use there much.
But that's not the case.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:09 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mechelement
But that's not the case.
it's not this hard to see my point but i'll entertain you.
according to google averages;
you get 20" per year of snowfall.
i get 70" per year.
using just the whole state of nc (city is unknown) it's between us with 40" per year.

so no.you wont see the same value in a 4wd as i do and completely understand why he would consider the trade.to you,yes no doubt vehicle condition will hold the higher value.that's completely understandable as i can and do potentially see your yearly snowfall accumulation in one snow storm/nor'easter here. so to me,a less appealing 4wd truck in appearance with some rust will be more appealing than a cleaner 2wd which is also very understandable as the 2wd simply couldn't be used some of the year.

the point is clearly the value of a 2wd to 4wd will depend drastically on ones location and use of the vehicle.
so no,your not in Texas and im not in Alaska but im sure you get the basic point im trying to make as to who will put more value in vehicle condition or 2wd.if not.that's cool too.
(i have an old man who does this too me all the time.....i can do this all day lmao.)

Old 09-28-2014, 05:15 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
4x4 swap ftw.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:35 PM
DmanNC
Senior User
Maybe I'll get my boat sold and just buy it and have 2trucks.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:04 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
it's not this hard to see my point but i'll entertain you. according to google averages; you get 20" per year of snowfall. i get 70" per year. using just the whole state of nc (city is unknown) it's between us with 40" per year. so no.you wont see the same value in a 4wd as i do and completely understand why he would consider the trade.to you,yes no doubt vehicle condition will hold the higher value.that's completely understandable as i can and do potentially see your yearly snowfall accumulation in one snow storm/nor'easter here. so to me,a less appealing 4wd truck in appearance with some rust will be more appealing than a cleaner 2wd which is also very understandable as the 2wd simply couldn't be used some of the year. the point is clearly the value of a 2wd to 4wd will depend drastically on ones location and use of the vehicle. so no,your not in Texas and im not in Alaska but im sure you get the basic point im trying to make as to who will put more value in vehicle condition or 2wd.if not.that's cool too. (i have an old man who does this too me all the time.....i can do this all day lmao.)
I understand your point. My dad's the same.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:22 PM
brokeasajoke
More Turbo
Driving these NC mountains in the snow can get tricky. I have 3 4x4s. My idi never sees the salty roads even though it ia 4x4. I rarely use the stuck stick but i wanted the option. Honestly for what i use it for a 2wd would do just fine.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:50 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Maybe I'll get my boat sold and just buy it and have 2trucks.
uh oh.your getting the bug.your hanging around here too much.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:12 PM
ZombiePopper
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well,
It's entirely up to you obviously, but...
If I'm getting a truck it HAS to be a 4x4, no question, so to me,
Yes,
I'd trade a 2wd for a 4x4 no question EVERYTIME (condition of the vehicles being comparable obviously).
As far as the differences between the 6.9 and 7.3 well some will argue but BASICALLY they're the same engine anyway so it's a mute point to me,
I mean we're looking at a difference of what (?);
24 cubic inches
10 horsepower
30 ft. Lbs. of torque
(Somewhere in that neighborhood give or take.
I doubt your butt dyno could even tell those differences (?)).
Look at the truck very well and if she looks good and you want, do the trade...or don't if it's not a fair trade.

Quick Reply: should I trade my 7.3 for a 6.9?