1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Removing Rear Springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:26 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Removing Rear Springs

I did a search on this topic and it was mostly about leaf removal rather than the removal itself. I got into my rear brakes for a rebuild when I noticed that one of my springs had two broken leafs. So I want to re-do the springs and make them happy.

I recall that rear spring removal was considered a serious pain in the a$$.

It's a '49 F1. Any experience or recomendations to share?

Old 07-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Its not that terrible. Just remove the locking bolts and get yourself a big long punch and a hammer. There are holes in the frame to accommodate the punch so that you can knock out the shackle bolts. The front pin will be hard to hit because the crossmember blocks a straight shot at it. I stuck a cheap socket wrench extension in the hole and laid a piece of plate steel over and knocked it out (hard to describe without showing you)

Old 07-11-2011, 01:42 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's not really that bad of a job, but you have to support the weight of the truck by the frame. It sounds obvious, but you wouldn't be the first one to support the truck on jack stands under the rear axle, then un-bolt the axle...not a good thing.

Sometimes the U bolts are pretty rusted, so it'd be a good idea to put some penetrating oil on those a day or so ahead of when you plan to do the job.

I think it is a good idea to replace the U-bolts with new ones while you're doing this job.

Dan

Old 07-11-2011, 01:42 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Ernie,
There is a shop in OC that has had a booth at the Western nats the past few years...they do complete spring systems and are priced within reason. Not sure if you already have the new springs but if not you may want to get in contact with them. I believe that either Ed Oe or Chris from the OC chapter has used their services are were very pleased. My truck is going up there just as soon as it's ready to hit the road.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 761 Likes on 372 Posts
I think Havi mentioned this in another thread, but it worked for me on my 55. Get a bolt just smaller than the hole in the frame and long enough that it sticks out past the frame rail a bit and hit it with a BFH. If you need, you might use a couple of bolts of different length to get it all the way out.

It worked slick for me. Of course after I bent my punch. (cheap Harbor Freight ones) I didn't have a bed on it though which helped.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Alcaeus
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is something helpful that i read in a previous post and copied for future reference. I forgot who originally posted it. I know that I have followed these instructions and they work every time.

----------

Here's a few things you can do to get the pins out of the hangars;

1. go out to your shop and get a coarse wood rasp, if you're right handed start with your left hand, make a fist, then take the rasp and make several passes across your knuckles, now switch over and do the other hand, don't stop until you are bloody
2. get a handful of sand and other debris (preferable something with a bunch of rusty crud in it) using one bloody hand hold the eyelid of one eye open and pack the sand mixture in until you are seeing stars and your eye is watering uncontrollably
3. pour remaining sand mixture down the collar of your shirt
4. smack your head against the wall several times to mimic busting it on the frame as you try to sit up in a hurry to get the sand mixture out of your eye.
5. place your hand on the bench and repeatedly smash your fingers with a hammer until numb

OK, now you are ready to tackle the spring perch.
----------

Old 07-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 761 Likes on 372 Posts
Be sure it's a wood rasp, I tried the bricks on my house and it still didn't work. After I bought the wood rasp, everything worked fine.

Here is that thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...g-removal.html

And havi's instructions:
Originally Posted by havi
After doing as Bobby suggested, I recommend you do that again. Then when you are good and bloodied. Take a fairly short bolt that will reach into the hole in the frame without bottoming the head out on the frame, yet has enough clearance to clear the crossmember bracket. Then put a punch on the bolt head, and knock it in til it does bottom out. Then remove the bolt. Put a longer bolt in and keep going til it's out far enough. Then you can pull on it from the outside. With an air hammer and the extra bolt as a "hammer extension" I had mine out in 5 minutes. Easier to show than explain. Good luck! The bolts I used were old alternator bolts from some Windsor engine or something.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:44 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,824 Likes on 1,831 Posts
Come on Dawg! if you aint bloody and your eyes aren't full of crap then you aren't doing it right

Good luck
Bobby

Old 07-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Man I'm kind of surprised by the "passion" this topic brings out. Lol. In my opinion, yes its hard to knock those shackle bolts out. But I would rather do that than tackle another set of door hinge pins.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Goobzilla
Elder User
$10 Harbor Freight air hammer made quick work of them after a couple of days screwing around with a BFH, a punch, and heat.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:01 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I endured this agonizing task late last year. As you can see in the picture below, a crossmember is blocking a clear shot at the hole for the front shackle pin. I used a 1/2" drill bit to drill a hole approximately where the shackle pin hole is located. I then widened the hole by using an expanding drill bit (the cone shaped one with different sizes - bought at Harbor Freight). After the hole was widened, I bought a 12" long bolt and whacked it with a BFH against the shackle pin. The pin came out after a few hard whacks. All of this after speding a few hours the evening before trying to get it with a short punch. I repeated this process a few weeks later when removing a set of springs from an F1 truck.

It's harder to remove the left side shackle pin on Panel trucks because of the fuel tank being located near the front shackle. It's easier on conventional trucks, and even much easier with the bed removed.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:53 AM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Come on Dawg! if you aint bloody and your eyes aren't full of crap then you aren't doing it right

Good luck
Bobby
Yeah...... I got a better idea....... Have my 30 year old son-in-law wail on those suckers.

I appreciate the input from you folks. All good ideas. Drilling an access hole did occur to me. I had in my inventory a set of reversed eye top springs that I wanted to install. I just wasn't too excited about installing them until I found the broken leafs. Now I gotta get mid-eveil on the SOB. This truck (or I should say the ten trucks that make this truck up) is a Desert-Rat and while the sheet metal is rust-free, the crud-factor is world-class. This truck was well used. Check out this pristine Pitman Arm.... I went Toyota Power but this part is a keeper.

Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2011, 05:02 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Lord Have Mercy !

What a job ! Took everyones advice. Drilled access holes and sacrificed an extension for my impact gun. Glad I decided to do this as the Spring Bushings were totally shot. They moved 2" side to side after I got the rear end out of the way.

And yes Bobby, Eyes and Ears were spared the crud because of protection but the rest of me looked like a dirt-ball......

Thanks !

Attached Images    
Old 07-17-2011, 09:15 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,824 Likes on 1,831 Posts
Dawg,

Congrats on getting that done! On the bright side....you won't have to mess with that again....ever

Bobby

Old 10-01-2014, 12:39 PM
canadianf3
New User
whats up with the pics?

I used to browse this site before i became a member lots of good info but found it annoying that all the pictures were blocked so i joined. guess what? still blocked. Why? do you have to be a "premium member" to get the pics? if so thats lame

Quick Reply: Removing Rear Springs