Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

2011 F-150 Ecoboost Cold Start Grinding Noise - Timing Chain

Old 10-01-2014, 05:55 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by huntnrig
The problem is a stretched timing chain and and worn tensioner. Documented many times now. Replacing them has not fixed the issue for many trucks.

And there you go...answering your own questions.

If you tear it down and replace the chain.... you have not fixed it.

So why tear it down and replace the chain?

Wait until there is a proven repair... you are on record as reporting the issue... you should be covered.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:59 PM
huntnrig
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the problem is as wide spread as you are making it sound, it seems improbable that at least one "known" member of this site has not reported the issue... or even replied to this thread.
Why are you even posting in this thread? Someone has to be "known" here before you'll given them any credibility? lol... Find another thread to troll.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:11 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Why are you even posting in this thread? Someone has to be "known" here before you'll given them any credibility? lol... Find another thread to troll.

Interesting, a guy who just joined calling a "known" member a Troll.

Your words speak for themselves.

FYI, in the thread you linked to, you have 67 post... in one thread.

The reason I am posting is to bring a little reality to the thread and beat back the hysteria.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:18 PM
huntnrig
Freshman User
Interesting, a guy who just joined calling a "known" member a Troll.
I posted here to help connect other truck owners who may have the issue and spread the word.

The reason I am posting is to bring a little reality to the thread and beat back the hysteria.
Yes, you've done a great job. Thank you. We all appreciate you.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:28 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
and spread the word.

And there it is... you bought a used truck with some issues... you are unhappy, and now you've decided to "spread the word".

My best advice to you is , sell the truck, take your loss and get something you can be happy with.

A little monetary loss for peace of mind, a trade worth making.

I am out.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:31 PM
huntnrig
Freshman User
And there it is... you bought a used truck with some issues... you are unhappy, and now you've decided to "spread the word".

My best advice to you is , sell the truck, take your loss and get something you can be happy with.

A little monetary loss is for peace of mind, a trade worth taking.

I am out.
You've been great, Really. Thankfully your advice was free.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:34 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
Back on track guys, please.

I will have to agree though, until this issue was brought up here a few days ago, I'd heard nothing of it.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:28 PM
huntnrig
Freshman User
I will have to agree though, until this issue was brought up here a few days ago, I'd heard nothing of it.
Until I bought a truck that exhibited the issue I'd never heard of it either. My first Ecoboost was awesome. Hopefully yours continue to be too.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:56 PM
klasher
New User
I have a 2011 EB also makes the same noise for awhile now. Dealership has kept it overnight numerous times, no noise. I live in Charlotte,NC and it has made the noise when its 80 degrees in the morning, so i don't think temp has anything to do with it. I have 105,000miles on it, only been serviced by the dealer. Very intermittent, some times i go a month without hearing it and sometimes every day for a week.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:25 AM
huntnrig
Freshman User
I have a 2011 EB also makes the same noise for awhile now. Dealership has kept it overnight numerous times, no noise.
I had to leave mine at the dealership over the weekend and started it on the following Monday morning. It made the noise loudly.

I live in Charlotte,NC and it has made the noise when its 80 degrees in the morning, so i don't think temp has anything to do with it.
Yes, there have been trucks from warmer climates showing up too...

I have 105,000miles on it, only been serviced by the dealer. Very intermittent, some times i go a month without hearing it and sometimes every day for a week.
Are you 100% sure it's the noise I am posting videos of? If you are outside warranty and your dealer hasn't documented the problem it's a $2000-$4000 repair.

This video was from this morning October 2nd 2014.

You'll be able to learn a lot more here: 2011 ecoboost noise on start up - Page 46 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

It's a more active thread.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:45 PM
huntnrig
Freshman User
October 14 2014 Update

There is now a TSB for this issue. TSB 14-0194 Now my problem is getting the dealer to actually complete it. They say they need a code... lol. My truck makes this noise every day.. more than 20 times on video.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:59 PM
dziskovs
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got this issue as well

All,

I do have this noise on startup of my 2012 Platinum EB that I just bought Labor Day weekend. I'm at 36k, so no warranty, but I'm wondering if this should be covered under the powertrain warranty... Wondering if I need to call my bank and add that ESP to the truck this week.

I'll see if I can get a video of it in the morning or this weekend at least.

DZ

Old 10-16-2014, 12:26 AM
huntnrig
Freshman User
I do have this noise on startup of my 2012 Platinum EB that I just bought Labor Day weekend. I'm at 36k, so no warranty, but I'm wondering if this should be covered under the powertrain warranty...
In the video he states that emissions warranty should cover it but you'd need to check.

What I can tell you is that even with the noise they won't necessarily replace the chain and do the TSB. They want to see a cam timing variance of more than 5+ degrees first as stated on the TSB.

Wondering if I need to call my bank and add that ESP to the truck this week.
I would buy the ESP for sure. If your truck throws error code P0016 the ESP will pretty much pay for itself right there.

I'll see if I can get a video of it in the morning or this weekend at least.
Yes, by all means get some video. Your dealer won't really care but the more this gets out the better. It's a wide swath of trucks that are lumped in that TSB 2011 - Oct 10/2014. That is a lot of trucks!

Old 10-16-2014, 04:51 AM
lariatf150
Senior User
It's a shame if they won't fix it just based on the noise alone (knowing that they have a TSB related to this). Why?....because surely the noise is not 'normal' or acceptable. If every Ford dealer in the US that tried to sell a used 3.5 ecoboost heard this noise at startup when the salesperson shows the customer the vehicle and the salesperson said "oh, don't worry about that. That noise is normal, it won't cause any damage." What do you think the customer would do/think? I know what I and any other person with a functioning brain would do. Look at the salesperson like they were insane and walk away because you know you'd be thinking you can't trust that guy/gal.

Whether a large amount of people will begin to see this problem as they get more miles on their ecoboost or not remains to be seen. However, since the TSB says it applies to every 3.5 ecoboost built up to Oct 2014, that's potentially a LOT of engines affected. Since customers with problems are more likely to search online for a solution and vent their frustrations, I'm sure we'll be hearing more about this in the coming months or years as these trucks age.

Crossing my fingers (and doing good maintenance) that my 2014 F150 with ecoboost will be ok for at least 200k miles. I've always had pretty good luck with vehicles with the routine maintenance I do, so I'm hoping my luck will continue with my new truck.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:35 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dziskovs
All,

I do have this noise on startup of my 2012 Platinum EB that I just bought Labor Day weekend. I'm at 36k, so no warranty, but I'm wondering if this should be covered under the powertrain warranty...
Hi dziskovs,

Your dealership will be in the best position to determine if a repair can be made under warranty. Do you plan on heading in for diagnosis soon? Once you've had your dealer check this out, I'll be able to research some options to help.

Crystal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 F-150 Ecoboost Cold Start Grinding Noise - Timing Chain