Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

2011 F-150 Ecoboost Cold Start Grinding Noise - Timing Chain

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 09:57 AM
huntnrig
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a shame if they won't fix it just based on the noise alone (knowing that they have a TSB related to this). Why?....because surely the noise is not 'normal' or acceptable.
My thoughts too... When your truck is making the noise almost everyday it's close to failure. My truck timing was only out 1 degree at idle they want to see 6+. Even though my truck makes this abnormal/wear noise daily... Sorry. My local dealer wouldn't help me.... This is brutal.

If every Ford dealer in the US that tried to sell a used 3.5 ecoboost heard this noise at startup when the salesperson shows the customer the vehicle and the salesperson said "oh, don't worry about that. That noise is normal, it won't cause any damage." What do you think the customer would do/think? I know what I and any other person with a functioning brain would do.
Funny story... When I bought this truck (August 28th 2014) the dealership had moved the truck prior to my arrival to be (detailed). I think it was to avoid me hearing a cold start. As my truck made the noise first morning after delivery, I know I didn't stretch that chain in the 140km drive home.

Had I heard that rattle on a cold start at the dealer I would have walked away quickly.

Still waiting on the selling dealers response...

Old 10-16-2014, 12:42 PM
dziskovs
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi dziskovs,

Your dealership will be in the best position to determine if a repair can be made under warranty. Do you plan on heading in for diagnosis soon? Once you've had your dealer check this out, I'll be able to research some options to help.

Crystal
Crystal,

I will see what my local ford dealer says about it. I'm in a smaller town, so I'm not necessarily convinced that they are capable of being able to diagnose this issue let alone repair it. If not, I need to get in touch with the larger Ford Dealer I bought it from and find out if they have had issues with any other Ecoboosts.

DZ

Old 10-18-2014, 12:37 AM
dziskovs
Cross-Country
Well, I stopped by the local dealer today, and they had no idea what I was talking about when I told them I was having a cold start rattle. I provided the TSB 14-0194, and they looked through it, but they aren't able to do anything until I throw the P0016 DTC.

I'm going to give the dealer I bought the truck from a call Monday and see what the service manager says about the issue.

My dealer printed out the TSB for me, and it doesn't say anything about replacing the timing chain tensioner. Is this something I need to request they look for wear if it ever does throw a code?

Thanks,

DZ

Old 10-19-2014, 08:16 PM
center97
Junior User
Is it bound to happen on every F150 ecoboost or just a select few? What causes this exactly?

Old 10-20-2014, 08:51 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dziskovs
...I'm going to give the dealer I bought the truck from a call Monday and see what the service manager says about the issue...
Thanks for the update, DZ; be sure to let us know what the selling dealership has to say. I'll continue to check on this thread in case you need my help.

Crystal

Old 10-20-2014, 09:11 AM
huntnrig
Freshman User
I am in the same boat as you.... My local dealer won't fix. And the selling dealer won't return my calls or emails. Looks like I'm going to have to start the CAMVAP process.

Here is 14 instances of the cold start noise over the last 6 weeks. This is only what I've caught on video. 17 days at Ford so far and NO FIX.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:53 PM
huntnrig
Freshman User
Update Dec 6th 2014

After a lot of effort the selling dealer finally took my truck in and completed the following:

- Timing Chain TSB (timing was off 8 degrees!)
- CAC TSB and Replaced Catalytic Converter
- New spark plugs
- New alternator

The truck is running better, more torque and gas mileage improving but guess what....???? Less than 300km's on the truck since repair and it's making the stretched timing chain noise again.... The battle continues.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:36 PM
dziskovs
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by FordService
Thanks for the update, DZ; be sure to let us know what the selling dealership has to say. I'll continue to check on this thread in case you need my help.

Crystal
I haven't taken it back to the selling dealership yet, but I have not had the issue since I've been to the local dealer. I guess having the printed out TSB is scaring the truck out of giving me that problem.

On another note, I had the CAC issue while on a road trip and had TSB 13-8-1A completed... but I'll save that for another thread.

DZ

Last edited by dziskovs; 12-08-2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: service to selling
Old 12-09-2014, 08:12 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dziskovs
I haven't taken it back to the selling dealership yet, but I have not had the issue since I've been to the local dealer. I guess having the printed out TSB is scaring the truck out of giving me that problem.

On another note, I had the CAC issue while on a road trip and had TSB 13-8-1A completed... but I'll save that for another thread.

DZ
Don't hesitate to get me involved, DZ; I'm happy to check my resources and see how I can assist.

Crystal

Old 12-09-2014, 10:04 AM
huntnrig
Freshman User
It might not be making the noise every morning but that doesn't mean your chain isn't stretched. Your dealership should be checking the timing on that truck or you should with an ODB reader. If the timing is even off a c-hair I would be demanding they repair it. (they want to see 6+ degrees)

Why?.... These trucks rely heavily on their timing to run "properly". If your chain is stretched you are getting bad gas mileage, poor low-end power and throttle response compared to an Eco that is timed right.

Why do we have "factory" warranty? To keep our trucks running right. If it's not running the way it was advertised from the factory they need to repair it. Don't let up. I stayed on my dealer till they did the TSB.

Now that my motor has been repaired and then made the noise again within a week the service manager is taking this a lot more seriously and says he's going to bat for me with Ford. We'll see what that means later. If they don't fix it shortly then I am proceeding with my CAMVAP claim. (canadian vehicle arbitration process)

Ford F-150's with engine problems in the CAMVAP process have sided with consumers 75% of the time over the last 3 years. With my documentation on this truck I'll take those odds any day over dealing with the dealers.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:38 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Just an FYI, once you start talking lemon law or lawsuit, they will be much less willing to deal with you.

Simply put, if they figure that's where its going, they will deal with you there. No point in trying to work with you now just to end up there.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:55 PM
huntnrig
Freshman User
Just an FYI, once you start talking lemon law or lawsuit, they will be much less willing to deal with you.

Simply put, if they figure that's where its going, they will deal with you there. No point in trying to work with you now just to end up there.
Thanks for the tips. First off, I am in Canada, there is NO lemon law here. 2nd. CAMVAP is an arbitration process put in place for consumers to fight these battles with vehicle manufacturers when they don't honor manufacturers warranties for defective vehicles. There are no lawyers present.

Your truck clearly doesn't have this problem but for some reason you feel compelled to bestow your infinite wisdom upon me. Thank you, your helpful advice has made me rethink my entire strategy.

I'll keep y'all updated.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:44 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by huntnrig
Thanks for the tips. First off, I am in Canada, there is NO lemon law here. 2nd. CAMVAP is an arbitration process put in place for consumers to fight these battles with vehicle manufacturers when they don't honor manufacturers warranties for defective vehicles. There are no lawyers present.
You missed the point, if they feel like you are taking it further, they will quit working with you and take it there.

Even if you win a new motor (long block, rebuilt) they will move everything they can from your old motor over. (turbo's)

You gonna be happy then?

Bet not.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:56 PM
huntnrig
Freshman User
You missed the point, if they feel like you are taking it further, they will quit working with you and take it there.

Even if you win a new motor (long block, rebuilt) they will move everything they can from your old motor over. (turbo's)

You gonna be happy then?

Bet not.
I think you missed my point. You have nothing to do with my truck, my individual case or how they/I will proceed to get it fixed. You have no dog in this fight, period. Just an opinion, that is not helpful, constructive or welcome.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:32 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by huntnrig
I think you missed my point. You have nothing to do with my truck, my individual case or how they/I will proceed to get it fixed. You have no dog in this fight, period. Just an opinion, that is not helpful, constructive or welcome.
Everyone who has an Ecoboost should have at least a passing interest.

You said you bought a ESP. I don't understand why you are going the route you are. If there are further issues your ESP should take care of you.
If they attempted repair and you still have the problem, then they should take care of you under their own 2/24.
Down here, the first thing they ask for are maintenance records.
Since you bought the truck used, how do you prove the truck was taken care of before your purchase?
Are you going to depend on the ESP pre-inspection?

Your dealer sold you a flawed truck and you are trying to make Ford pay for it.
Makes no sense.

Quick Reply: 2011 F-150 Ecoboost Cold Start Grinding Noise - Timing Chain