6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

A NICE MOD FOR 5TH WHEEL TOWING

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 05:57 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
A NICE MOD FOR 5TH WHEEL TOWING

I had a brain storm a while back and ordered a cheepo back up camera from China. I mounted the camera on my cross bed tool box right in front of my 5th wheel hitch. I already had an Edge CTS so all I had to do was run the wires and viola, when I back up to the 5th wheel I have a really good view of the relationship of pin and hitch. It's slick I tell ya, and will for sure improve my marriage when on camping trips.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:14 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,991 Likes on 1,598 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
I had a brain storm a while back and ordered a cheepo back up camera from China. I mounted the camera on my cross bed tool box right in front of my 5th wheel hitch. I already had an Edge CTS so all I had to do was run the wires and viola, when I back up to the 5th wheel I have a really good view of the relationship of pin and hitch. It's slick I tell ya, and will for sure improve my marriage when on camping trips.
LOVE It..........

Old 09-26-2014, 04:07 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Good one Stanley!!!

Old 09-26-2014, 06:28 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
From sheer repetition I've learned how to use my rear view mirror and the holes in the middle rear seat where the headrest would be. I kind of line up the kingpin right between those headrest holes looking through the rear view mirror and pretty much nail it most often.

Not as sexy as the camera though. Pics?

Old 09-26-2014, 02:51 PM
BCM
More Turbo

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Good one! I painted lines on my tonneau cover to help line me up, but they really only show me where NOT to line up and I back it in perfect every time... even with people watching!

Old 09-28-2014, 07:36 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While I got the camera and harness for the stock setup and planned to put a camera on the underside of the cover, I got to thinking it's just one more connection to forget when hooking up...
so I haven't installed it, thinking I may go for a more permanent setup with it's own display...

but in the interim, have gotten purty good at the line up as long as I hold my head in the same place when looking in the rearview and lining up the trailair shock top with the saftey glass writing on the rear sliding window

Old 09-28-2014, 08:02 AM
OutlawII
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice idea!! U know what bothers me the most is backing up in the dark reverse lights glaring off the trailer pretty much renders your eyeballs useless !

Old 09-28-2014, 08:15 AM
wingedone
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a nice setup. I have noticed as I have gotten older, the body isn't as flexible as it used to be. Not as easy to twist around in the seat to see. Future plans!

Old 09-28-2014, 08:35 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by wingedone
Sounds like a nice setup. I have noticed as I have gotten older, the body isn't as flexible as it used to be. Not as easy to twist around in the seat to see. Future plans!
Yeah, tell me about it. I can't turn in the truck or on the golf course. All back ups, truck or car is done via the mirrors.
I'll post some pics the next time I hook up.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:48 AM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking to do the same thing, do you have a link to the camera that you used?

Old 09-28-2014, 09:39 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Had some spare time so I took some pictures. I think I'll start a new thread in case somebody else wants to see them.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:12 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
TRUCK MOD FOR 5TH WHEEL HOOK UP WITH PICTURES.

OK, I already had an Edge insight CTS which has an RCA cable innie for a camera. Went on ebay and bought a $14.00 camera with wiring from China. Mounted the camera on the cross bed tool box aligned (almost, I need to move it a half inch or so) with the 5th wheel hitch. Ran the wires, one to ground, one to 12 volt positive and the RCA cable. RCA cable was a little short unless I wanted to drill through the floor to reach the Edge so I spent $3.00 at wal-mart for a connector. I had a half dozen or more RCA cables laying around. Also please note that the tool box is quite old and will be replaced when i find one I like. So, the wiring is not what I would do with a permanent installation.

First pic is camera, then Edge, 3rd picture is RV on pad, 4th is truck back up camera as I start up the ramp. (once the tail gate is lowered that goes away).

5th picture is camera lining up on pin. (about 2-3 feet or so from engagement. 6th is just prior to engagement.

And then engagement. I didn't hook up but if I was going to I would have lowered the pin a bit and then banged it home.

The good news is I never had to try and turn my head or back.

If you didn't want to spend the money for the edge ($400 or so I think) there are a lot of camera/ monitor sets available including wireless. Hope this helps some old codgers like me. I estimate this will add 5 years to my RVing life.

Attached Images        
Old 09-28-2014, 10:15 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by gsxr1300
I'm looking to do the same thing, do you have a link to the camera that you used?
Not sure, if I do I'll post on the new thread I just started.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:23 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Link foir the camera

Here is a link for the camera https://www.amazon.com/gp/history?ie=UTF8&ref_=sv_ys_0. Sorry, that as computer savy as I can be.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:25 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by gsxr1300
OK, it's there and here. https://www.amazon.com/gp/history?ie=UTF8&ref_=sv_ys_0

Quick Reply: A NICE MOD FOR 5TH WHEEL TOWING