1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas or Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 04:07 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by phillips91
The engine in that debate? A 120 hp 250 tq 4.9 6 cyl.
Lol

Old 10-10-2014, 09:17 PM
farmboy989
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as its a superduty its fine

I hear good things about the 6.2, I pull 5,000 to 8,000 all the time with my 5.4l with no problems except slow to get up to speed when pulling heavier loads.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:44 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
I've just never understood the hatred for the 5.4 on this forum. No, it's not a v10 or a sd psd, but it will pull circles around anything ford put in the obs trucks. It might not please everyone(no engine will, that's why we have choices), but It is actually a pretty stout engine and better than it gets credit for.
Loved it in my 05 F-150 that had some grunt. In the heavier 06 250 it just seemed like I really needed to work that motor empty or loaded. It had this weird flat spot around 3000-3300 rpms where it would stop accelerating, pause for a split second, the all of a sudden connect again. It got worse when towing. I had the 3.73 gears working against me for sure.

I would buy one again for a work truck as it does get the job done. For a personal truck that V10 is more fun to drive and it moves a CC DRW faster than I thought it could.

I fell under the delusion that the 5.4 would get that much better mileage than the V10. The 1-2 mpg decrease is well worth the fun factor. I think many people were mis informed on a great motor in the V10 and missed out on a great $600 upgrade.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Amelio
Senior User
I also never understood the big debate of gas or diesel...... Either engine will get it done and there are pros and cons to both.

I have never towed with a 5.4 so I don't know how they are. My '12 CC 4x4 is the first ford I have owned. I had an '06 CC AWD Denali with the 6.0 and it towed great! I also had an '04 CC 4x4 Dmax and it obviously towed good being a diesel.

I love both diesel and gas engines..... When I bought my current truck I really did want the diesel just because the raw power. However it did not work for me financially it was just too much money. I have had my '12 now for a few years and it has been a great truck. 90% of my driving is empty and short trips. I have a '28 enclosed car trailer that's about 9,500 pounds loaded when I go racing 8-10 times a year. The trucks plus it with no issues. I have driven the new 6.7 multiple times and towed with it...... I have rented a truck a few times for work....... Anyway the empty performance does not feel that much different between my truck and a 6.7 however put some weight behind them and the diesel is just insane!

I really don't think either engine is superior to the other...... It's just different. Different uses and different strokes for different folks!

Old 10-11-2014, 12:05 PM
tjcprop
Elder User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Nailed it Tom
I see in all these days that you couldnt answer my question? Have you owned a new 6.2? Or are you talking ignorance concerning the 6.2? Just wondering if your opinions are based on knowledge?

Old 10-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by tjcprop
I see in all these days that you couldnt answer my question? Have you owned a new 6.2? Or are you talking ignorance concerning the 6.2? Just wondering if your opinions are based on knowledge?
Nope.

I've owned trucks with a 6.4L PSD, 6.7L PSD 6.8L V10, 5.4L V8, 4.2L V6, and 3.5L EcoBoost. In addition I've had the pleasure of driving and comparing trucks with 7.3L, 6.0L, and 6.2L engines back to back in towing comparisons with 12-15,000 lbs behind them. So I've driven, and towed with, every single engine mounted in a Super Duty since 1998.

The 6.2L is a fine engine, I really liked the way it drove. But even my 3.5L EcoBoost engine trounced it when pulling a trailer because the EcoBoost had so much more low-end torque. The V10 had more low-end torque as well, but the one I did a direct comparison with was hampered with the older 4R100 transmission. But directly comparing a 6.2L gas and 6.0L PSD with a trailer is a no-brainer, the diesel has more than 100 ft-lbs more torque.

In fact, you can find videos comparing the two in THIS THREAD. And before you mention gears, the 6.0L had 3.73s and the 6.2L had 4.30s.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Amelio
Senior User
I really love the 6.2 I think it's a stout gas engine but it will never pull better than a diesel even a 6.0 even if the 6.0 only made 50 more foot pounds it would still pull better than a gasser because it makes that tq down low.

Now if you turbo charged the 6.2.......... Well now your talking about a pulling beast. If I had the disposable cash I would turbo my 6.2 or SC it. You would then have a lot more tq down low and would not have all the maintenance and EPA Bull sh8t associated with the diesel.

However if I had to pull heavy everyday there is no doubt I would want a diesel! There is no getting around it..... A diesel is designed for one thing.....

Old 10-11-2014, 02:54 PM
tjcprop
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tom
Nope.

I've owned trucks with a 6.4L PSD, 6.7L PSD 6.8L V10, 5.4L V8, 4.2L V6, and 3.5L EcoBoost. In addition I've had the pleasure of driving and comparing trucks with 7.3L, 6.0L, and 6.2L engines back to back in towing comparisons with 12-15,000 lbs behind them. So I've driven, and towed with, every single engine mounted in a Super Duty since 1998.

The 6.2L is a fine engine, I really liked the way it drove. But even my 3.5L EcoBoost engine trounced it when pulling a trailer because the EcoBoost had so much more low-end torque. The V10 had more low-end torque as well, but the one I did a direct comparison with was hampered with the older 4R100 transmission. But directly comparing a 6.2L gas and 6.0L PSD with a trailer is a no-brainer, the diesel has more than 100 ft-lbs more torque.

In fact, you can find videos comparing the two in THIS THREAD. And before you mention gears, the 6.0L had 3.73s and the 6.2L had 4.30s.
Thank you for the link and the input. I will have to view it. This question was not intended for anyone except for that guy with the 6.0.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:35 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
but the one I did a direct comparison with was hampered with the older 4R100 transmission. But directly comparing a 6.2L gas and 6.0L PSD with a trailer is a no-brainer, the diesel has more than 100 ft-lbs more torque.

And before you mention gears, the 6.0L had 3.73s and the 6.2L had 4.30s.
This is one of those cases we were talking about the other day when I said a manual has advantages. That automatic has a 2.71 first gear ratio and the my manual has a 5.72. That is well over a 2x gear multiplication, which basically lets me start off with a ratio equivalent to 4 low in an automatic but then normal gear ratios in 2nd-5th. Makes getting loads moving on steep hills effortless.

The 6.0 you mentioned was also tuned and you said it was pulling better than a 6.7. The 6.2 also had oversized tires too. It would have been a better stock vs stock comparison if both were, well, stock.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
This is one of those cases we were talking about the other day when I said a manual has advantages. That automatic has a 2.71 first gear ratio and the my manual has a 5.72. That is well over a 2x gear multiplication, which basically lets me start off with a ratio equivalent to 4 low in an automatic but then normal gear ratios in 2nd-5th. Makes getting loads moving on steep hills effortless.
And that would be true if it weren't for the fact that autos have a torque converter. The torque ratio on the converter used behind the 6.2L engine is 1.9, which means that 3.974:1 first gear can be multiplied as high as 7.55:1. With a manual you risk not making the shift in time to keep the engine in the power band in the next gear, something particularly concerning towing a trailer up a steep hill. It's happened to me several times driving big trucks, and I'm sure it's happened to you too. Automatic transmissions shift nearly instantaneously, which means you don't run that risk.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:36 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
And that would be true if it weren't for the fact that autos have a torque converter. The torque ratio on the converter used behind the 6.2L engine is 1.9, which means that 3.974:1 first gear can be multiplied as high as 7.55:1. With a manual you risk not making the shift in time to keep the engine in the power band in the next gear, something particularly concerning towing a trailer up a steep hill. It's happened to me several times driving big trucks, and I'm sure it's happened to you too. Automatic transmissions shift nearly instantaneously, which means you don't run that risk.

That might be how it is supposed to work, but I haven't had it work that way with mine. I towed the same trailers with my manual and my ex father in laws automatic and on steep hills his would do a lot of revving and not a lot of moving. All the hills I have pulled with mine and with all the trailers I have pulled, I have never had mine sit at 5 mph up a hill. The road leaving my old house was 23% and over 1/4 mile long and I pulled 11k up it all the time from a dead stop.

I'm not going to lie and say I haven't missed a shift in my rig. No power navistar engine, unbaffled tank, shifting loads, etc, I miss one from time to time. I've yet to miss one in my sd though. That truck is my baby and no one besides me has ever even sat in the drivers seat since I've owned it

Old 10-15-2014, 11:52 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by tjcprop

Thank you for the link and the input. I will have to view it. This question was not intended for anyone except for that guy with the 6.0.
Aww, you still butthurt?

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 10-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Anomic
Senior User
Phillips i agree with you. I havent heard anyone crying about a "dog" 5.4 that has a zf behind it. Only the guys with automatics. I have alot of confidence in that low gear getting me rolling and 1st is very easy to hit quickly. I will admit to using "2low" when trying to park in really tight/hilly spots so i can keep off the clutch. especially backing up hills with a heavy trailer sometimes reverse is a little fast!

Old 10-15-2014, 07:38 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Lets play nice.

As a reminder:

2. Personal Conduct . Post language and material suitable for the home or office. Do not post foul language, racial epithets or sexually explicit content in any form. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Posting for the purpose of gaining access to additional features of the site is not allowed.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:24 PM
General Chaos
New User
The 5.4 may be small and the weakest engine in the super duty lineup, but you would be surprised to know that it makes more horsepower and torque than the 7.5 over about 90% of the power band
I really am not surprised, as much as the TBI helped the power and the gas mileage from carbed on the 460, MPFI is that much better on any engine.
I don't necessarily have anything against the 5.4L, however I have found that if you get a vehicle that has an engine that is underpowered for it you pay the price in frustration and gas mileage. I know what my truck is capable of doing, and with the 5 speed manual it makes up for some of the lost power compared to an automatic.
Although the 5.4L is more powerful than the older 7.5L, the loss of power through the torque converter and the difference in gearing would leave the 5.4L struggling up the hills while towing the car trailer or box trailer.

In defense of the 5.4L I have not driven one for comparison, but I am also a power *****, there is no such thing as too much power.

Quick Reply: Gas or Diesel?