General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.4 truck swap to a navistar inline 6 dt360 - project

Old 12-16-2014, 09:50 PM
GHeTTo JOe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did i miss your post on if the 6.4 runs? i seen you posted it was tuned and deleted.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:14 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GHeTTo JOe
did i miss your post on if the 6.4 runs? i seen you posted it was tuned and deleted.

I was kinda caught up in trying to get it running at one point, because theres not much wrong with it, but then i realised that since I'm just keeping the engine for parts, dollar value isn't worth the trouble.
To machine out the snapped harmonic balancer bolts and pull the trans to put a new flywheel would take a lot of work.
Just trying to focus on getting the engine swap done, and falling behind already. I wanted to have the bus engine out of the bus and in my garage already but I've had issues finding an engine lift that will work and I don't want to spend huge cash for a one time use item. It's been super nice weather but I've been too busy at work to do anything so far.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:58 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
you could make a strong engine crane.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:21 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
I found a really nice one that is a truck crane for loading heavy equipment but i dont have a flatbed to mount it to.
I'll keep looking.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:56 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts
how bout a chain fall? design of the bus allows it to be pulled straight up no problem, if you have a beam or a limb to hook to.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:39 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by '89F2urd
how bout a chain fall? design of the bus allows it to be pulled straight up no problem, if you have a beam or a limb to hook to.
Yup been looking at a few options.
No idea what the winner will be yet.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:44 PM
swamp_ratt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just curious here, but do you know much about these motors at all? 500hp is super easily achieved with the stock pump and an entirely stock motor. Just turn up the pump, have some bigger nozzles put on the injectors, and run a bigger turbo. These motors will spool an s480 big single with ease! As for the trans and all that, don't bother with the 5r110, and the adapters are stupid expensive! Allison is 100 percent bolt on simply by switching bellhousing and standalone is stupid easy and cheap! Also, no offense to Carson, but there's only a couple places to buy injectors for these from. Hart's, or contagious diesel! I'm running contagious injectors in mine! These motors are capable of 1500hp at 5500 rpm on completely stock motor and 300 psi of boost on stock head bolts! The head flows more than enough for 1000 plus without being touched! I've been pioneering performance on the dt360 for the past 4 years! If you have questions, ask me!

Old 12-27-2014, 05:51 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by swamp_ratt
Just curious here, but do you know much about these motors at all? 500hp is super easily achieved with the stock pump and an entirely stock motor. Just turn up the pump, have some bigger nozzles put on the injectors, and run a bigger turbo. These motors will spool an s480 big single with ease! As for the trans and all that, don't bother with the 5r110, and the adapters are stupid expensive! Allison is 100 percent bolt on simply by switching bellhousing and standalone is stupid easy and cheap! Also, no offense to Carson, but there's only a couple places to buy injectors for these from. Hart's, or contagious diesel! I'm running contagious injectors in mine! These motors are capable of 1500hp at 5500 rpm on completely stock motor and 300 psi of boost on stock head bolts! The head flows more than enough for 1000 plus without being touched! I've been pioneering performance on the dt360 for the past 4 years! If you have questions, ask me!

define "spooling an s480 with ease"

Old 12-27-2014, 05:55 PM
swamp_ratt
New User
Well, let's put it this way. There's a dt360 out there that daily drives and tows a 38 ft gooseneck overloaded with square bails with an s480 as a big single. He's running in the whereabouts of 600-650hp

Old 12-27-2014, 07:06 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Well, let's put it this way. There's a dt360 out there that daily drives and tows a 38 ft gooseneck overloaded with square bails with an s480 as a big single. He's running in the whereabouts of 600-650hp

i think you are mistaken. that's a silly setup if youre not mistaken, he's not spooling it unless he's clouding the sky and using his trailer like an artificial powerbrake.

650 hp can be made with a 66, and it would still be nothing compared to the drivability of twins or a stock size turbo....it'd be just plain dumb to run an s480 at those power levels, not to mention on a 5.9 with mechanical injection and static timing in general.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:08 PM
swamp_ratt
New User
I think you are mistaken. Regardless of it being a 5.9, it flows significantly more than a Cummins. Dt series engine is a completely different animal. Carson Stauffer built the truck with the dt360 with the s480 on it as a big single. Look on the other ford forums for pipewhiner! And his truck is actually fairly clean! If you haven't built a dt personally, then you don't know what they are capable of!

Old 12-28-2014, 08:27 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Last I check a stock A-pump that comes on a DT is limited to 300cc of fuel or less. and

And the rule of thumb is 1.5hp for 1 cc of fuel... so that is 450HP IF you have enough turbo to burn it and will drive like complete crap

Old 12-28-2014, 10:01 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
I think you are mistaken. Regardless of it being a 5.9, it flows significantly more than a Cummins. Dt series engine is a completely different animal. Carson Stauffer built the truck with the dt360 with the s480 on it as a big single. Look on the other ford forums for pipewhiner! And his truck is actually fairly clean! If you haven't built a dt personally, then you don't know what they are capable of!

ugh. don't you have another forum to join so you can chime in about dt360's? im not even trying to be mean, but I bet this isn't the first time you've done this....

i didnt compare a dt to a cummins, but since you brought it up...the dt360 head flows better than a 12v, yes. fully ported dt360 still outflows fully built and ported 12v 6bt head, indeed....but the fact that its a small displacement 5.9 with mechanical injection and static timing still matters a lot. and by the way, built to built, a 24v cummins or CR head outflows the 2VPC dt360. so the "dt flows more" philosophy for spooling stupid sized turbos is moot. the fact that it flows better vs a 12v is more incentive to run a smaller, faster spooling turbo at a modest power level...the dt360 isn't a miracle engine that can magically spool giant singles for street use.

im not surprised carson's shop built the guys truck, he's hefty into building sled pullers. . .that run s480s . . . . that aren't streetable. . . . .

so answer me this (if I dare to ask) why is he running an s480 in the 600 hp range over a much faster spooling 64? I can crack 600 with a 62 and not die of old age before it lights.

s480 and 800+ hp purpose built trucks are a dime a dozen....as are common rails (which have a huge advantage in the field of spooling turbos vs a dt360 or any other mech setup for that matter) that lay down 800+. is it optimal to run a big single? no. cost effective? yes. easy? definitely. appealing to those who don't know any better? absolutely.

I don't need to browse to find answers, the dt360 is a wildly impressive monster and is probably the best engine ever built of its displacement. but that changes nothing, its still a small displacement mechanical engine that isn't going to perform miracles spooling turbos for the street. s480 on a high fuel dt466 for the street, that's more like it...but I'd still run a better setup if I had a dt466.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:02 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I thought I knew quite a bit, but maybe less than I thought.
Everyone I've talked to about the pump says it's limit is about 230 hp, otherwise it won't run good and will be smokey. I believe carson even said it could make some decent power, but for drivability the conversion to the p7100 would be way better because the stock pump would just be smokey and not good for daily driving.

I sure would like to believe that the pump would make 400-600 hp like I was aiming for, but I have no idea if it would work and not run like crap. So far almost everyone has said just over 200 hp is about the limit for the stocker. It would sure be awesome if that wasn't the case.

As for the turbocharger, I really don't want a massive one that only spools at high RPM, I want something that will be more driveable, that is why I was thinking a compound setup like the 6.4 has, maybe even a set off of a 6.4 engine.

The 5r110 is a different choice, but I found a guy that thinks we can get it working using software modifications. Obviously yes it will need an adapter plate and flex plate to work, but I have a working 5r110 in the truck already, where an allison I would need to buy the transmission, custom mounts, custom driveshafts, etc.

I have spent a lot of time thinking about this stuff, but nothing is set in stone yet.
But, it is going to be a street legal truck, not a bogging truck or sled pulling truck. So I have no interest in parts or upgrades that are going to smoke steadily, wear out quick, etc.

Doesn't the allison have it's fair amount of problems behind tuned engines to start with? So I'd need not only the allison tranmsission, but upgraded parts as well, sounds really expensive lol.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:06 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I thought pipewhiners truck was a p7100 injection pump swap ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6.4 truck swap to a navistar inline 6 dt360 - project