The 7speeds can be a bit of a pain to drive till you get used to them

Old 10-28-2014, 09:16 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
taking into account everything I've read about your situation, you

A) aren't made of money, and/or aren't willing to spend it like a rapper would

B) you're planning to use the truck for years to come

C) you'll be doing the majority, if not all, of the maintenance for the entirety of the trucks life

That said, I would definitely use a ZF6 for strength, cost of initial purchase and cost of rebuilds in the future, and simplicity.

strength- with its intermediate shaft bearing, it's uncharacteristically strong for an aluminum case trans. while its not something out of a dump truck, it's definitely the strongest trans used by the big 3 with its intermediate bearing, overall shaft/gear size, and the low helical angle used on the gear teeth. It'd definitely hold up well to your daily driver levels of power.

cost-as far as 6 speed truck trannys go, theyre dirt cheap. ive found 3 of them in the junkyard, and picked them up for 115 a piece. they can be found on craigs for 750-1500 for one in good working order and rebuilt ones for 1500-2000. You wont have to source a t-case, and in the unlikely event something catastrophic happens it wont make you feel like the world is ending with monster price tags of repairs.

simplicity- it is veeery difficult to create a standalone for 5r110 that actually works and works well. almost to the tune of impossible. I haven't paid any attention to what anyone is doing or attempting to do with them, because I don't care (ill never use one), but as of a year or two ago no one that I was aware of was even close. there are so many things that are wildly different about the newer trans vs the old 4 speeds that are easy to adapt with standalone. swap shifts, synchronous shifts mixed with nonsynchronous shifts vs complete non synchronous in the old trans, its just a mess. even if you got a controller to work, it'd be astronomically expensive and it still might make you want to drive the truck into a wall when its acting funny. another note of simplicity, you simply don't have to deal with any of the dumb stuff associated with automagics. not to mention, if you ever had a problem with the trans and/or controller you'd be in a dejavu world of pain. 4 speed with a standalone is an option, but one thing I hate more than a 5 speed automagic is the drawn out shift patterns of 4 speeds.

the dt360 is awesome, but its pricey. I agree, douchebags and cummins have been made synonymous in years past, but the same could be said about any of the abundant diesels. cummins just so happens to be the most abundant, and the cheapest to make stupid power. dt360 is as bulletproof as they come for power handling, but the Achilles is the wet sleeves corroding or cavitating over years of use and/or negligence from lack maintenance, which will then make your grailed 360 a good flower pot. keep your coolant in check.

random side note, its amazing how the DT series stay sealed forever and paint never seems to flake.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:41 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by '89F2urd
dt360 is as bulletproof as they come for power handling, but the Achilles is the wet sleeves corroding or cavitating over years of use and/or negligence from lack maintenance, which will then make your grailed 360 a good flower pot. keep your coolant in check.
I plan on running evans waterless coolant to address that issue.
Apparently the cavitation can also cause hot spots that wreck the liner seals, and I don't want any part of that lol.

Of course I won't be running it all day long at 2700RPM like it would in the bus, so the cavitation issues would probably be minimal, but I'll just spend the money on evans.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:05 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
The ZF6 is a very interesting idea.... but can I find one with the SAE housing for the dt360, and mount the transfer case to it....

Old 10-28-2014, 10:18 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
And it looks like the ZF6 needs an adapter plate to go to SAE

Hmmm thinking...
Looks like you can get a rebuilt ZF6 650 for around 2000$...
Even with a 800$ adapter plate, thats not a bad option considering the T case should bolt right on.
Plus the trans will fit properly too.....
This might just be the best option.

Maybe see what you can buy as an upgraded unit, and run a triple disc clutch?

Old 10-29-2014, 04:42 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I am doing the ZF6 behind my DT. Typical rebuilds are here are 2000 + a 800 core. Hell my local junk yard offered me 2000 for my used trans, they have a waiting list of people for $2250. Also the ZF6 from a 6.4 is the strongest stock one made(and you should play the lottery IF you find one). Also don't forget, you would also need the input shaft for a manual trans for your t-case too. Autos are different

Carsons adapter plate is $895 IIRC plus $1575 for a dual disc clutch. I you wanted single disc clutch he need to come up with a price since he hadn't done one yet

I got lucky and bought a rotted out 2000 7.3 6 sped truck for 2200. Parted the truck, Made and 1500 and got a ZF6 out of the deal

As for the DT caveating, YES that is entirely true that they can/do. But they are FAR from junk when they do. You just put new sleeves in and BOOM, Ready to go FOREVER if you keep the SCAs in check

Old 10-29-2014, 07:42 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Hmmmm this might really be the way to go, now I sorta wish I found a 6.4 truck with a manual to begin with lol, this should be interesting.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:47 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
FYI, less than 5% of the 6.4s came with sticks

Old 10-29-2014, 10:55 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
FYI, less than 5% of the 6.4s came with sticks
And 0% came with fullers or spicers lol

Old 10-30-2014, 04:58 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by parkland
And 0% came with fullers or spicers lol
But I can assure you, you can find a fuller or spicer a hell of a lot easier than a 6.4 ZF6

Old 10-30-2014, 09:28 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
But I can assure you, you can find a fuller or spicer a hell of a lot easier than a 6.4 ZF6
That is true. And needing a 800$ adapter plate to use the dt360, any savings are gone too over the medium duty trans.

But the benefit still remains of not having to make trans mounts, and have a divorced T-case and custom shafts.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:55 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
So I'm thinking of buying the adapter plate, mounting the dt360 to the 5r110 automatic, and if that doesn't pan out, then swap to the manual zf6.

Sounds like the stock computer will work, but needs some custom tuning done to make it work.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:49 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Yes as of now, the plan is to use the stock 5r110 auto trans.
Stock except I want to find a very low stall converter.
The low stall TQ converter should put more power to the ground, and put less TQ through the transmission.

We are going to use the stock 6.4 computer, but it is going to need custom tuning. It will be slightly experimental, but it will either work, or else switch to a 6.0 transmission controller, or the pcs controller.
I think it will work though, I have faith.

This truck is an auto already, and despite the tuning and electrical headaches, I'm good with computers and electrical, and less good with metal fabrication.

So it will be the dt360, adapter plate, flex plate, and stock 5r110.
I won't be running a fan on the dt360, hopefully I don't have to move the transmission.
I might add some electric fans on the rad, could probably hook them up to the electric clutch circuit from the mechanical fan.

When I actually find and buy a p7100 injection pump, and send it in to get tuned up, I might get them to try and aim for the 400-500 hp level.
That will get into the 1000- 1250 ft/lbs range, which I think is pushing it a little. That is lower than the 500-600 hp range I was thinking, but I think it will be a plenty strong truck, with a little more reliability.

Even 400 hp wouldn't be bad, I'm guessing it's going to feel a lot more tourqey than a 6.4 or 6.7with the long stroke dt360 and low stall converter.

400 hp is apparently attainable with the stock pump on the dt360, but it would run like crap, and smoke like crazy, so might as well bite the bullet and swap to the p7100.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:10 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
I don't know where you got your info but an A pump can me made to put out 500cc of fuel which then makes 750HP(with proper air flow) and to clean up smoke, you need different Turbo, not a different pump

Old 11-09-2014, 12:42 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I don't know where you got your info but an A pump can me made to put out 500cc of fuel which then makes 750HP(with proper air flow) and to clean up smoke, you need different Turbo, not a different pump
Everyone I talked to said there was no way to use the pump. They said it could probably put down 400 hp, but that would be absolutely maxed out, and would run terrible and smoke like crap, basically a giant waste of time.

Do I have the "A" pump or "MW pump? "

Quick Reply: 6.4 truck swap to a navistar inline 6 dt360 - project