1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust and what to do about it.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 03:08 PM
superseal
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Well I ordered the kit that looked like the "full meal deal" so hopefully I get that stuff too.. How is it holding up for you? Did you do inside the doors and tailgate? Any GOTCHAS to look for?
Nope, dropped the spare, inside the doors, bed mounts, quarter panels and fenders, tie rods and suspension, rocker panels, bumpers, exhaust and cat, brake lines...everything but the brake pads.

Yes, the tailgate was easy with all the access slots and holes.

I'll never use anything else is my experience - holding up very nice after a full two years and I just did my third application. It actually gets easier as time goes on and you don't use nearly as much product.

Good luck to you and wishing you a rust free future

Old 10-05-2014, 06:18 PM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Finished my oil undercoating today. I tested it's effectivness with the hose... I apologize for the crappy camera work in the video...

You can see the water bead up and just run off, much like a wax job.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:55 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by superseal
Nope, dropped the spare, inside the doors, bed mounts, quarter panels and fenders, tie rods and suspension, rocker panels, bumpers, exhaust and cat, brake lines...everything but the brake pads.

Yes, the tailgate was easy with all the access slots and holes.

I'll never use anything else is my experience - holding up very nice after a full two years and I just did my third application. It actually gets easier as time goes on and you don't use nearly as much product.

Good luck to you and wishing you a rust free future
Exactly what I was hoping to hear! Thank you!!

Old 10-05-2014, 06:58 PM
hodge5
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I just ordered some Fluid-Film, and can't wait to try it out. I believe that it will be a viable solution, but as mentioned, it will still be a yearly maintenance item. I don't mind that; with a solution, I don't mind doing the work.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:20 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by hodge5
I just ordered some Fluid-Film, and can't wait to try it out. I believe that it will be a viable solution, but as mentioned, it will still be a yearly maintenance item. I don't mind that; with a solution, I don't mind doing the work.

FYI it has a potent odor at first that fades in a week or so. Leave it outdoors if your garage is connected to your house....

Old 10-06-2014, 09:11 AM
hodge5
More Turbo
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
FYI it has a potent odor at first that fades in a week or so. Leave it outdoors if your garage is connected to your house....
Thanks for the heads up. I keep my truck in the barn, and I will be applying the fluid film outdoors.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:07 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Thanks for the heads up. I keep my truck in the barn, and I will be applying the fluid film outdoors.

Did you get the kit for spraying it? It works great.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:12 AM
hodge5
More Turbo
No, I bought some cans first. I want to experiment with it before buying a kit.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:38 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
No, I bought some cans first. I want to experiment with it before buying a kit.

Aerosol cans? That's a pita of a job to do, trust me I know. I get it though. The whole kit makes it that much easier and way quicker. Plus I can really get it to fill all the holes and push it into the bed supports better because of the pressure. Aerosol cans work great for the lighter areas like door seams.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:36 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by wizkid00104
Finished my oil undercoating today. I tested it's effectivness with the hose... I apologize for the crappy camera work in the video...

You can see the water bead up and just run off, much like a wax job.

LOOKS GREAT! people been doing that for years with used oil and it WORKS. cant get no better and a good way to get rid that old oil too.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:56 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 975 Likes on 750 Posts
this is interesting. its called salt away. it claims to clean salt and corrosion and then leave behind a protective film. can be applied with a garden hose.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Hjn8UmspFW5xQQ

Old 10-07-2014, 07:28 AM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Skip1970
LOOKS GREAT! people been doing that for years with used oil and it WORKS. cant get no better and a good way to get rid that old oil too.
Thanks! I bought bar and chain oil though. Motor oil is for my camp fires

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
this is interesting. its called salt away. it claims to clean salt and corrosion and then leave behind a protective film. can be applied with a garden hose.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Hjn8UmspFW5xQQ
It would definitely be worth the old college try If it's good enough for salt water, I imagine it would be good enough for salty roads....

Old 10-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Lou Braun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Rust and corrosion problems have been the only real problem that I've seen with my '06 truck. I did not do any adequate rust-proofing when the vehicle was new so I get to do the repairs now.

Had the bed removed. Applied PB Blaster to the bed bolts - they snickered at my efforts. Only 1 bed bolt came out The rest were plasma cut off. Bed support rails are heavily rusted and are getting replaced. One rear wheel arch is rusted through - the sealer behind the bed sheet metal acted as a sponge and caused the rust problem. The frame is not too bad but is getting a sandblast and repaint job.

Contrast this with a 2010 Subaru that I liberally apply fluid film to every year. Rust is minimal.

Lesson learned. Soak anything that can rust with a rust-proofer of your choice.

Lou Braun

Old 10-24-2014, 02:15 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just to get back to this thread... I bought the recommended 2 gallon Fluid Film kit for my CC Dually.. With 3 quarts of it applied, I had fluid film dripping out of almost every orifice and off the whole suspension. I used the last quart on my Jeep Wrangler.
Included in the kit I got was a coiled up tube with spray nozzle that would go on the single aerosol can that was included.. The coiled up tube was a bear to get to un-coil and stay that way.. Boiling water was the answer and I pulled it straight and ran under cold water..
Also included was a one-gallon topper with a pour spout. It was worthless. It would not snap down onto the gallon can even after having been warmed up..
Bottom line - it's messy and you don't want to do it in your garage without a tarp under it. It does not smell bad at all but it will drip for a long time, so park accordingly..
I will try to post a picture later..

Last edited by Big-Foot; 10-24-2014 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Schpellink ErriR
Old 10-24-2014, 04:31 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 975 Likes on 750 Posts
that's great Randy. At least the stuff is not toxic.

Quick Reply: Rust and what to do about it.