1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust and what to do about it.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 08:29 PM
superseal
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope I don't sound like a company rep, because i'm not, but why not just use fluid film? Made me a believer on my 2012.

Easy to work with, non toxic, no drip, easy to apply and re-apply, smells good, tastes good and wont harm electrical and synthetic rubber.

And don't believe the peeps that claim it don't creep,...it actually creeps quite well and very effective on preventing rust and advancement of existing.

I'm on my third application (once a year) and the truck remains flawless underneath and in brand new condition.

Who are theses people who hate FF? My research showed an overwhelming love affair with the stuff once people discover it.

My initial investment was about $100.00 to buy the goods and sprayer and my follow up applications only takes about 1/2 gallon a year...equivalency of roughly $20.00 a shot - not bad in my book for a SCf250.

That being said, I have no doubt your solution will work as most petro based products do. It's just the safer application and handling attributes of FF which made the difference to me.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:42 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by superseal
Hope I don't sound like a company rep, because i'm not, but why not just use fluid film? Made me a believer on my 2012.
I'm sure fluid film works great and many people on here seem to love it. Used motor oil is free and works just as good. And it saves me a trip having to haul it off too. My psd I had left a bigger oil trail coming up my driveway than me coating the entire underside of my truck with oil once a year

Old 10-04-2014, 08:59 PM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I personally don't have anything against fluid film. I've never tried it, but I have been tempted to pick some up. I went with the bar and chain because it was locally available and extremely cheap. I have never seen fluid film in a local store.

If it works for you, I'm glad. I wish the underside of my trucks still looked new. I'd rub cat ***** under my trucks if it guaranteed no rust

And I used Monstaliner only because it was collecting dust on the shelf from another project. I wouldn't have gone out of my way for it for undercoating. But so far I like it

Old 10-04-2014, 09:28 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 990 Likes on 761 Posts
Bar and chain oil sounds good and so does fluid film.

I have 10 gallons of used 5w40 desel motor oil which is pretty high in zinc and phosphorus. I change my oil twice a year and rarely hit 3000 miles so there should be a lot of zinc and phosphorus left. I think the gas in the used oil helps with penetration. Any way, ordered a gun and will try oil this year.

In past years on a different truck I used rust converter. Works great but pretty pricey.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:49 PM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Sounds good. I think we can conclude that anything you do to prevent rust aside from setting the truck on fire is some what effective. Other than that, we should all move to the south

Old 10-04-2014, 10:38 PM
superseal
Junior User
Your right about moving south,...going down to 44 tonight and they'll be salting those roads in a month or two.

I never seen so much salt and brine like we used here last year. Destroyed most of our major roads in the process and i'm sure major future rusting for many neglected vehicles.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:39 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Destroyed most of our major roads in the process.
I can verify that..... I run PA a lot and it physically hurts to drive through there.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:46 PM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Your right about moving south,...going down to 44 tonight and they'll be salting those roads in a month or two.

I never seen so much salt and brine like we used here last year. Destroyed most of our major roads in the process and i'm sure major future rusting for many neglected vehicles.
Do you mean 43? It's the best empty road I've ever driven. I never see more than a handful of cars.

You're right about the destruction. Rt 70 and 79 were coming about in the middle of the lane... Craters everywhere

It really amazes me more vehicles around here don't have more rust problems. My fiancées Suzuki is so clean underneath except for the exhaust system. It's shocking..

Old 10-04-2014, 11:52 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
I think he means temperature. 76 is torn all to pieces too and taking a tractor and trailer through there is no fun at all.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:31 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
most over the road truckers form the past just use used oil on the undercarriage once or 2x a year from what u hear.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:40 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wizkid00104

But I have to ask... has the rust protection got worse or the use of salt and brine have increased dramatically since 99% of the country loses their marbles at the sight of 1/2" of snow???
Ever wonder why the city or municipal budgets for snow removal keep getting bigger and bigger every year?

Old 10-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Cdashner
New User
Probably because salt prices seem to rise by 30% to 50% every year, fuel is expensive and equipment prices increase too.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Costs are going up to buy the product (salt / chemicals), equipment purchases along with repairs and then there are the salaries of the 4 guys to do 1 man's work....

I bought the two gallon Fluid Film deal through Amazon the day before Amazon started charging state sales tax for MN shipments.. I haven't seen the stuff yet, but will be doing my SD as well as my Jeep to try and slow down the rust and rot..

Fluid Film Undercoating Kit 2 Gallon with Spray Gun, bottles, and everything you need. - Lawn And Garden Equipment - Amazon.com Fluid Film Undercoating Kit 2 Gallon with Spray Gun, bottles, and everything you need. - Lawn And Garden Equipment - Amazon.com

Has anyone used the Fluid Film Extension Wand yet? Primarily interested in how you guys applied inside the doors, tailgate and those really hard places like up inside the rear quarters..

Old 10-05-2014, 09:51 AM
superseal
Junior User
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Costs are going up to buy the product (salt / chemicals), equipment purchases along with repairs and then there are the salaries of the 4 guys to do 1 man's work....

I bought the two gallon Fluid Film deal through Amazon the day before Amazon started charging state sales tax for MN shipments.. I haven't seen the stuff yet, but will be doing my SD as well as my Jeep to try and slow down the rust and rot..

Fluid Film Undercoating Kit 2 Gallon with Spray Gun, bottles, and everything you need. - Lawn And Garden Equipment - Amazon.com

Has anyone used the Fluid Film Extension Wand yet? Primarily interested in how you guys applied inside the doors, tailgate and those really hard places like up inside the rear quarters..
In my order they gave me those plastic plugs for when you drill the doors or other body panels. I also ordered the 360deg. wand and that worked like a charm.

http://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford...24d2b94fa6.jpg

http://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford...f4e6eef278.jpg

Old 10-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my order they gave me those plastic plugs for when you drill the doors or other body panels. I also ordered the 360deg. wand and that worked like a charm.

http://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford...24d2b94fa6.jpg

http://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford...f4e6eef278.jpg
Well I ordered the kit that looked like the "full meal deal" so hopefully I get that stuff too.. How is it holding up for you? Did you do inside the doors and tailgate? Any GOTCHAS to look for?

Quick Reply: Rust and what to do about it.