Torklift Fortress GasLock - Product Reviewed

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 06:24 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Steve (and others) - please don't take this the wrong way but using that logic, we shouldn't have automatic locking doors on our vehicles nor locking gas caps or inside release hood latches. Then we should all leave our S&B homes as well as campers unlocked all so that first responder can more easily gain access if there is an emergency. And none of us should live on a floor higher then the local fire company's ladder truck's tallest ladder. Of course, none of us drive with a propane tank on to keep the reefer (and our adult beverages) cold - nahhhh
I think the difference here is for the safety of the first responder, not the safety of the rv. Keeping your truck, home, or the like is not the same as having a potential "bomb" at arms length for the fire fighters.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:07 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by r2millers
I think the difference here is for the safety of the first responder, not the safety of the rv. Keeping your truck, home, or the like is not the same as having a potential "bomb" at arms length for the fire fighters.
I'll stay with my original premise as far as an RV. Then just for discussion's sake throw a couple more out. Think about that propane barbeque on your deck. Then spare 20 or 30 pound bottle(s) residing in your garage next to that 5 gallon plastic jug of yard equipment gasoline. Next, how many of you have firearms - and a box or two of ammunition for each one and maybe even in the camper and just waiting to cook off. Or a gasoline generator nicely locked up in a camper storage compartment with a 5 gallon tank residing somewhere nearby.

Heck, even a few cans of spray paint or solvents can create a pretty big bang as shown at a local trash shredder plant when a bag or box of them blew up, nicely removing a portion of the roof and siding plus doing other damage, shutting the plant down for several weeks.

OK, I'm not saying this to be arbitrary, just trying to show how many other ways can cause a problem for first responders beyond a TT propane bottle. As far as getting into that compartment - that fire ax would take about as long as someone fumbling with those twist latches while wearing heavy fire resistant gloves.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Chalkie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Irelands child
. As far as getting into that compartment - that fire ax would take about as long as someone fumbling with those twist latches while wearing heavy fire resistant gloves.
To that I will add a hearty "You bet!"

As Steve said it is a "code" and not a "law". There is a difference, for the uninitiated. For example, the NEC came out with a new code for 2014. Fine and well, but, until a political entity ADOPTS that code into the local ordinances it does not have the effect of law. So there may be a number of local politcial entities that have incorporated that into law and a bunch that have not.

How do you know? I have no clue unless you actually live in that particular political entity (and even then you may not really know). So really, I think it comes down to some common sense. Something that will keep your tanks from being EASILY stolen, yet keeping them accessible, does make sense.

- - - Just as a side note, I do not keep any propane or gas cans in my garage or house. Are they in the shed out the back? Yes. Is that shed too close to the house per say, MILSPEC? Likely so. I have been here for 25 years and, knock on wood, have never had a catastrophic event, other than some severe hail and wind damage over the years.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:39 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honestly, unless we are IN the rv... if a fire starts, I want it to FINISH

yes, protect the stuff around it if you can, but leave it alone...

Not sure, how we got to here on this topic...

but really admiring the coincidence of a group of 'reviews' showing up here...
like new user just HAPPENING to get one of these and writing a thread on it

I'm SURE they have nothing to do with the company !!!

Old 10-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Honestly, unless we are IN the rv... if a fire starts, I want it to FINISH

yes, protect the stuff around it if you can, but leave it alone...

Not sure, how we got to here on this topic...

but really admiring the coincidence of a group of 'reviews' showing up here...
like new user just HAPPENING to get one of these and writing a thread on it

I'm SURE they have nothing to do with the company !!!
I agree about the trailer - and if I recall, you are NOT overjoyed with your current 5er.

As far as a thread hijack - that's what makes a forum fun. Divergent views make life more interesting