Torklift Fortress GasLock - Product Reviewed

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 08:02 PM
Chalkie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sheryl, I appreciate you defending your product, but an 8 year old thread (which is just anecdotal at best) and an article to a particular campsite are just not compelling in my mind. Some police statistics or something would be nice, if they exist. While you did not directly say it, are these just for TT with the bottles on the tongues?

Old 10-02-2014, 08:46 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
One of the articles was older but it is still good background information-

Signed, Your Moderator.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Torklift Sheryl
SPONSOR
From what we’ve heard from our customers, most applications that have theft issues are from TT’s with the tanks mounted on the tongues. However, the lock can be used on other towables and RV applications as well.
Torklift Sheryl

Torklift International – Towing, Suspension, Tie Downs, Steps
Call me direct: 1-800-246-8132
Visit our Blog: http://www.torklift.com/blog
Old 10-03-2014, 12:37 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
I think that are loads of accessories that meet different needs and appeal to individual preferences the reality of which most are probably not necessary. That is what makes RVing so interesting to me.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Chalkie
Senior User
Thanks Sheryl! From the description I see online, I am not sure how I could use these in my RV that has the side compartments for the 30# bottles. Do you have any specific info as regards that application?

I did not mean to offend, and hope I did not in my earlier post. I have done a bit more research and it seems from what I can see that the 20# bottles are the easier target (BBQ grills, etc.) and many of those are breaking the one lock on the cages where prefilled exchange bottles are stored. There was one article that makes reference to Homeland Security keeping track of this as they can be used to make improvised bombs. No where can I find any numbers, but then perhaps I should not be surprised as Homeland Security is pretty tight lipped about a lot of things.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:58 PM
C7XR7
New User
Originally Posted by Chalkie
Thanks Sheryl! From the description I see online, I am not sure how I could use these in my RV that has the side compartments for the 30# bottles. Do you have any specific info as regards that application?
This product review was written based on an install on a fifth wheel with the side compartment propane storage and two 30lb bottles.

If one does not feel they have a need for such a product then your best choice is not to purchase it and be disappointed. For us however we have done much long-term camping at places where we have left our rv at the campsite for days while we were touring the surrounding area. Things left out do go missing from even the "good" campsites, state parks, national parks and so on. Not everyone in the world is honest, and this for us is a simple deterrent and like Sheryl said, "gives us a little more peace of mind" when we are away from our site. For us it has value, your mileage may vary....

Old 10-03-2014, 02:49 PM
Chalkie
Senior User
Originally Posted by C7XR7
This product review was written based on an install on a fifth wheel with the side compartment propane storage and two 30lb bottles.

Yes, thanks, I saw that in the original pics and the install would be nearly the same were they on the tongue of a TT.

I should have been more clear. My tanks are in side compartments, one tank per side. They sit in a space with some heavy duty rubber spacers to eliminate vibration and are "locked" in place with a metal band with a catch in it.

I don't see an immediate way to adapt this to my usage, which is why I was asking (although as I said I should have been more clear).

Old 10-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Torklift Sheryl
SPONSOR
@Chalkie - The Fortress Gaslock is designed for side-by-side vertically mounted tank applications only. We might need to take a look at a photo to further ensure a fit for your specific application. Feel free to give our Tech Support a call at 800-246-8132 or send me a PM and I can help you.
Torklift Sheryl

Torklift International – Towing, Suspension, Tie Downs, Steps
Call me direct: 1-800-246-8132
Visit our Blog: http://www.torklift.com/blog
Old 10-14-2014, 06:14 PM
Chalkie
Senior User
Originally Posted by Torklift Sheryl
@Chalkie - The Fortress Gaslock is designed for side-by-side vertically mounted tank applications only. We might need to take a look at a photo to further ensure a fit for your specific application. Feel free to give our Tech Support a call at 800-246-8132 or send me a PM and I can help you.
Torklift Sheryl
Sheryl, thanks!

The weather is supposed to be nice here for the next couple of days. I will take some pics with a tank and out and send them to you. I think I see I lot of more of the tank setup I have in the newer TT's and 5er's, but I could be wrong.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:03 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Probably illegal and someone knows the regulation, but on the 5er we just traded in, I put a non CH-751 barrel lock on the single LPG cabinet door as the CG where we stay is virtually empty Monday - Thursday with the exception of a few overnighters. The new one will probably get dual non CH-751 keyed locks for those two doors before next season as well as a couple other compartment that have that @#$% 'universal' lock.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:22 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Torklift Sheryl
Great recap, Jeff – thanks for the feedback on the propane lock!

Torklift decided to create a solution for our customers in response to several stories of ‘cut and run’ theft where the damage can cost up to $500 - replacing the stolen tanks, slashed regulators, and damage to tank covers. As a way to secure your tanks and deter thieves, we’re hoping to give customer’s peace of mind when it comes to camping.

Fortress Gaslock – propane tank security

Here are some links on recent propane tank thefts reported.
Link - Theft at vacation areas
Link - Travel trailer propane tank theft

Torklift Sheryl
Since I store my TT in a storage facility, they require that you label which basement door holds the propane tanks for fire reasons.

If the fire dept needs to remove them, they need to find them fast, without them being locked down.

A potential safety issue preventative.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:04 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Locking access to tanks endangers first responders, thus compartments housing tanks are not lockable. It is a code violation, although I am not sure if it is illegal. It would be a liability issue if someone were hurt as a result.

Steve

Old 10-18-2014, 03:00 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Locking access to tanks endangers first responders, thus compartments housing tanks are not lockable. It is a code violation, although I am not sure if it is illegal. It would be a liability issue if someone were hurt as a result.

Steve
Steve (and others) - please don't take this the wrong way but using that logic, we shouldn't have automatic locking doors on our vehicles nor locking gas caps or inside release hood latches. Then we should all leave our S&B homes as well as campers unlocked all so that first responder can more easily gain access if there is an emergency. And none of us should live on a floor higher then the local fire company's ladder truck's tallest ladder. Of course, none of us drive with a propane tank on to keep the reefer (and our adult beverages) cold - nahhhh

Old 10-18-2014, 03:50 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
Logic NEVER is the plan when laws/regulations are written! But this issue is as plain as day that propane tanks (door) in RV's should never be LOCKED!

If there was fire in my RV I sure as hell would want anyone to be able to remove it (them) or shut off the tanks.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:15 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
There is some logic to being able to shut off propane tanks in an RV just as it is possible to shut off propane or natural gas at the meter to the house.

Steve

Quick Reply: Torklift Fortress GasLock - Product Reviewed