So it begins.... Iowa Fall 2014 chat thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 07:15 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Good morning Iowa!

Originally Posted by twigsV10
They found my neighbors truck in southern IA completely destroyed. It was driven off road though multiple properties with damage to them also. The guy in the failed gas theft is there primary suspect but since they only have his tags and those were unlikely his I have my doubts that they will catch the thief. I'd like to say that if it had been me with the gas thief I'd have held them there at at gun point if necessary until the sheriff got there but with the way it is now I'd probably just get sued. Even with it being a Chevy they used to hang horse thieves,that's overly harsh but you should at least half to repay what you intentionally damage. That would be real justice.
Andy, I'd go for the hanging. Nothing like a deterrent to make someone think twice.....

Old 11-23-2014, 07:47 PM
lindstromjd
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 67nukeford
Good morning Iowa!

Andy, I'd go for the hanging. Nothing like a deterrent to make someone think twice.....
Deterrents don't do anything if the person has a mind to do an action anyway. Only thing they do is make the perpetrator more inclined to "not get caught". The only preventative medicine for things like that is good parenting. Not the kind of parenting where you beat your kids for every little mistake, and not the kind where you are your kid's "friend" and let them do anything they want, but the kind where you actually take the time to teach lessons on why certain things are wrong and learn how to actually discipline your kids. Each kid is different and will respond to different punishments differently.

... That being said, punishments should match the crime. But punishments do no good if a person was raised with no sense of morals or honor.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:50 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds like it was three 20 some year olds, two guys and a girl that were stealing pick up trucks/cars and anything available around them then destroying the vehicles off road and doing it again. The rumor is that they got the two guys but the girl ran off. I think you should have to to pay for intentional property damage with your own $'s as well as the cost to make that happen. How is us paying for the bad guys sitting in a cell for years doing nothing justice???

Old 11-24-2014, 08:02 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by lindstromjd
Deterrents don't do anything if the person has a mind to do an action anyway. Only thing they do is make the perpetrator more inclined to "not get caught". The only preventative medicine for things like that is good parenting. Not the kind of parenting where you beat your kids for every little mistake, and not the kind where you are your kid's "friend" and let them do anything they want, but the kind where you actually take the time to teach lessons on why certain things are wrong and learn how to actually discipline your kids. Each kid is different and will respond to different punishments differently.

... That being said, punishments should match the crime. But punishments do no good if a person was raised with no sense of morals or honor.
Yeah, I agree with that. It all starts at home.

Good morning Iowa, hope you guys had a great weekend!

Hawkeye fans, looking forward to beating the Huskers Friday??

Old 11-27-2014, 08:24 AM
stocker rocker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
happy thanksgiving iowa

Old 11-28-2014, 09:49 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 67nukeford
Yeah, I agree with that. It all starts at home.

Good morning Iowa, hope you guys had a great weekend!

Hawkeye fans, looking forward to beating the Huskers Friday??
Should (hopefully) be interesting. They are a trick to figure out this year, they could do better sometimes and just forget to show up...

Old 11-29-2014, 08:03 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Morning Iowa FTE! I have to burn the day with inlaws... and the road trip to get to them. My extended weekend has been taken over by gatherings...

I did get some shop time yesterday, and picked up a snow plow to blast my lane out with for the quick getaway, then do final cleanup with the big snow blower at my leisure then. I am going to have to make it solid with a cable winch lift for now, the pump has issues. It has sat in a field for many years though... I am ok with having to pin it and set up a winch though, I got it low cost enough. I'm not doing this for cash, just to get to work on time... Now if I could keep the tractor and blower here all the time, I wouldn't have really needed it, but alas, the tractor is my dad's, and he wants it there, in the cold, where it takes a lot more time to get the hydraulics working...

Old 11-30-2014, 10:09 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Good morning everyone in Iowa...hope you all survive December! Stay warm and safe.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:47 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by fellro86
Morning Iowa FTE! I have to burn the day with inlaws... and the road trip to get to them. My extended weekend has been taken over by gatherings...

I did get some shop time yesterday, and picked up a snow plow to blast my lane out with for the quick getaway, then do final cleanup with the big snow blower at my leisure then. I am going to have to make it solid with a cable winch lift for now, the pump has issues. It has sat in a field for many years though... I am ok with having to pin it and set up a winch though, I got it low cost enough. I'm not doing this for cash, just to get to work on time... Now if I could keep the tractor and blower here all the time, I wouldn't have really needed it, but alas, the tractor is my dad's, and he wants it there, in the cold, where it takes a lot more time to get the hydraulics working...
Cold hydraulics add 15-20 minutes to my chores in the winter, 3/4's of an hour turns into 1 hour 15 minutes twice a day all winter...... Is it Spring yet?

Old 12-01-2014, 06:56 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
I wish that was all it added. Water is getting into the hydraulic oil somehow, so then it slushes up. Dad just drained it, and there was quite a bit of straight water, and the oil has soaked up quite a bit as well. Put fresh in, but of course you can't get rid of all the old oil.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:08 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Good morning Iowa, and welcome to the last month of the year!

Old 12-02-2014, 12:19 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by fellro86
I wish that was all it added. Water is getting into the hydraulic oil somehow, so then it slushes up. Dad just drained it, and there was quite a bit of straight water, and the oil has soaked up quite a bit as well. Put fresh in, but of course you can't get rid of all the old oil.
What kind of tractor is it? If the gear shifter is on top of the transmission and exposed to rain it's amazing how much water can make its way into the oil.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:31 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
IH 966, also happens to the 856. I rag on my dad and sister about leaving it out, but they still do.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:48 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Good morning Iowa, welcome to Tuesday! How the heck does water get in the hydraulic system?

Old 12-02-2014, 12:25 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
The transmission is pretty much the reservoir, so any water that gets in through shifter holes, fill neck or other points gets into the hydraulics.

Quick Reply: So it begins.... Iowa Fall 2014 chat thread