Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Help me decide how to prep my truck!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:16 PM
clintusaf
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help me decide how to prep my truck!

So, most of you probably know by now, I am moving to Germany in January and taking my truck. Now most people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I'm taking it with me, but I have been there before so I know the area and what I am in for. Plus, I'm not ready to let go of my truck yet, and refuse to let it set in storage for four years while I am gone. So that settles that, it going with me lol!

Anyway, I coming here for your guys' help in deciding what I do to my truck before taking it. I have a budget of about $3K and about 3 months to get the stuff done to it. First I will list the items that have been replaced since 2009 since I took ownership of it(not including what is in my signature below). My truck currently has just over 255K miles on it now.

u joints-replaced in 2009 at 193K
replaced fuel bowl drain valve orings in 2010 at 205K
rotors and brakes in 2013 at 232K
ball joints replaced in 2013 at 238K
starter replaced in 2013 at 242K
batteries replaced in 2014 at 243K
belt, tensioner pulley, and idler pulley replaced in 2014 at 248K
alternator rebuilt in 2014 at 252K

Here are the things I would like to do before I go:

Tires-toyo AT2-$1K(these can with if need be)
PS Pump-$200
coolant filtration system along with coolant flush-$200
clean or replace EBPV tube-$40
FRX from riff raff-$200
intercooler boot kit, plenum boot kit with new clamps and plenum inserts from riff raff-$250
replace windshield(cracks)-$230

Parts/maintenance items added based on member suggestions:
change diff fluids
bleed/flush brakes
Deiselorings parts cabinet orings
hpop lines
scan tool(if budget allows)
Rear speed sensor

Now this is just a quick list I did in my head. I am looking for any and all suggestions of what you would do with $3K in your truck has what my truck has in the signature. I am more concerned with longevity and preventative maintenance than anything else. I'm just not as familiar with our trucks as some of you are.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take an extra CPS with you. Maybe brake pads, oil & fuel filters, trans filter & some common wear items.
I would flush the power steering with synthetic fluid, change the rear end fluid, trans fluid. Gravity bleed the brakes to get new fluid in the system.
You look to have the other things covered.
I'm not sure what parts are difficult to get over there if you get in a bind.

Good luck, thank you for your service! And keep that truck off of the salty winter roads.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:40 PM
BrandonT71
Senior User
I'm thinking, being half a world away, I wouldn't want to lose an HPO line, or have fuel line gasket fail. If it were I, I'd be replacing any o-rings gaskets that I don't know the age of, ie; Guzzles mechanics parts cabinet. "Mechanics Parts Cabinet" Combo repair kit for common Fuel and Oil repairs 99-03
I'd have all fresh and a set in the truck. And a set of HPO lines from Clay will run you under $200 I think. That's my .02

Old 09-21-2014, 10:43 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
With that said, id undercoat the crap out of it.
1) cabinet kit
2) hpop lines
3) oil bypass
4) inner axle seals
4) look over guzzles 7.3 site
5) gpr
6) starter relay
Mind you, some things i listed would be left in box until needed. Not sure how convenient parts are, over there....haha, branden beat me to it

Old 09-21-2014, 10:44 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I'd absolutely get a proper scan tool. You might not have a lot of support over there for an American diesel, but you can always log on here to decipher the readings. While Torque Pro is a scan gauge (will be a tool eventually), something more like AE or Infinity will step up if anything happens there.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:44 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Speed sensor above rear end, GPR, spare belt, 1 head light bulb/tail light bulb, fuel filter, not sure if wipers are hard to get a hold of as well as fuses. Just brain storming. Sounds like an adventure...

Old 09-22-2014, 05:50 PM
clintusaf
Elder User
Originally Posted by Franko72
Take an extra CPS with you. Maybe brake pads, oil & fuel filters, trans filter & some common wear items.
I would flush the power steering with synthetic fluid, change the rear end fluid, trans fluid. Gravity bleed the brakes to get new fluid in the system.
You look to have the other things covered.
I'm not sure what parts are difficult to get over there if you get in a bind.

Good luck, thank you for your service! And keep that truck off of the salty winter roads.
I do have an extra CPS in the truck now forgot to mention that. I just recently did a flush on the power steering and now it's leaking lol! so I'm taking care of that as we speak. may just replace the whole pump(https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...placement.html).

I do need to change the differential fluids and I also plan on putting on a new rearend diff cover while doing that. Trans fluid should be good. My BTS is only about 1 year old. And bleeding the brakes is now on my list as well.

So as far as parts goes, I can get parts. There is an auto hobby shop on base and they can assist if need be if I get in a bind. and with the internet and most places shipping to military APO boxes now, I can pretty much get my hands on just about anything I need to, and in a timely manner.

Thanks for the input!

Old 09-22-2014, 05:52 PM
clintusaf
Elder User
Originally Posted by BrandonT71
I'm thinking, being half a world away, I wouldn't want to lose an HPO line, or have fuel line gasket fail. If it were I, I'd be replacing any o-rings gaskets that I don't know the age of, ie; Guzzles mechanics parts cabinet. "Mechanics Parts Cabinet" Combo repair kit for common Fuel and Oil repairs 99-03
I'd have all fresh and a set in the truck. And a set of HPO lines from Clay will run you under $200 I think. That's my .02

Just ordered the parts cabinet today. thanks!

Old 09-22-2014, 05:53 PM
clintusaf
Elder User
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
With that said, id undercoat the crap out of it.
1) cabinet kit
2) hpop lines
3) oil bypass
4) inner axle seals
4) look over guzzles 7.3 site
5) gpr
6) starter relay
Mind you, some things i listed would be left in box until needed. Not sure how convenient parts are, over there....haha, branden beat me to it
I'm not sure if they even salt the roads over there. I will have to ask. and all great input. thanks!

Old 09-22-2014, 05:54 PM
clintusaf
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tugly
I'd absolutely get a proper scan tool. You might not have a lot of support over there for an American diesel, but you can always log on here to decipher the readings. While Torque Pro is a scan gauge (will be a tool eventually), something more like AE or Infinity will step up if anything happens there.
not sure if it will fit in my budget, but I definitely want one!

Old 09-22-2014, 06:31 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I believe we still have an Australian section here at FTE. There are a few of those guys who have a 7.3. I'd suggest you stop down there and ask them what spare parts they would recommend bringing if they were in your shoes.

They may have some better insight for taking care of a truck overseas.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:38 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
I'm thinking the Failure Prevention Thread is a good read for your situation.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:37 PM
clintusaf
Elder User
Originally Posted by scotttahoe
Speed sensor above rear end, GPR, spare belt, 1 head light bulb/tail light bulb, fuel filter, not sure if wipers are hard to get a hold of as well as fuses. Just brain storming. Sounds like an adventure...
Just curious, but why would you replace the speed sensor? are they known to go bad?

I added GPR to my list. I have the other items you mentioned. and yes, it will be an adventure! thanks!

Old 09-22-2014, 08:43 PM
clintusaf
Elder User
Originally Posted by F350-6
I believe we still have an Australian section here at FTE. There are a few of those guys who have a 7.3. I'd suggest you stop down there and ask them what spare parts they would recommend bringing if they were in your shoes.

They may have some better insight for taking care of a truck overseas.
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
I'm thinking the Failure Prevention Thread is a good read for your situation.
Good info gents. I will check out both of these! thanks a ton!

Old 09-22-2014, 09:59 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by clintusaf
Just curious, but why would you replace the speed sensor? are they known to go bad?

I added GPR to my list. I have the other items you mentioned. and yes, it will be an adventure! thanks!
It's not a most common problem but as our trucks age it can happen and when it does go out the SES light goes on and no speedo and the trans won't shift properly. Had one go out on my truck several years back and now I just keep a spear along with the CPS. I think they're only around 30 bucks. (I think). One of those things you'll need it when you don't have and you won't need if you have it kinda deals.

Quick Reply: Help me decide how to prep my truck!