Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2014, 10:14 PM
Posting Guru

Big-Foot is a name known to allBig-Foot is a name known to allBig-Foot is a name known to allBig-Foot is a name known to allBig-Foot is a name known to allBig-Foot is a name known to all
Arrow Home Grown DIY Trailer Repairs

There's a lot to do on my new (to me) 2008 Rage'n Stryker Toy Hauler.

It was a great weekend here and I can check off "rebuild camper ramp door" from my list..

There seemed to be some soft spots and I knew that something was wrong..
So I attacked the problem and I think I made it better than new..
This took me a couple of days worth of work spread out over 3 weekends

Here's a few shots:

Peeling back the rubber mat was a real PITB as it was glued down very well..

Click the image to open in full size.

Soaked the half ruined luan facing with four coats of oil based enamel to stop-the-rot. Luan is Non structural so not terribly worried about the strength of it as it only serves as a backer for the fiberglass back panel.

Spray foam insulation will have to be good enough.. Has to be better than the moldy mess I pulled out of there..

3/4" treated plywood replaced 18" of the old chip-board...

Top it all off with 1/8" diamond plate aluminum retained with stainless screws..

I think it turned out pretty nice...

What have you done with your trailer?

1999 F250 Lariat SuperCab 4x4 v10 $old
2015 F350 Lariat CrewCab 4x4 DRW 6.7L/409CID PSD Bronze Fire Metallic over Caribou
Rage'n Stryker 5th wheel Toy Hauler - Arctic Cat Wildcat XT SxS
Old 09-21-2014, 10:43 PM
Senior User

Chalkie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow! Nice job!

Looks like it was a real PITA, but the labor you put in likely saved you a ton of $$. Well done.

You know you live in Colorado if you know where the REAL South Park is.
2008 F-250 6.4 PSD SRW King Ranch on optional 20's, Undercover Tonneau, Line-X,
B&W turnover & Companion slider
2013 40' Infinity 3640RL 5er
Old 09-22-2014, 02:40 AM
Postmaster

RV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant future
Nice job! I agree with your approach of leaving the exterior alone. The hardest part is keeping out moisture in the future. The manufacturers really need to take a look at how they construct the rear doors, but as long as folks keep buying em the way they are, I don't see things changing.

Steve
2010 F150 super cab, box stock, bed slide, ARE bed cover
Old 09-22-2014, 06:14 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Great Job. I wonder how you could keep the water out.

Is there a rubber seal that goes around the ramp?

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 09-22-2014, 07:14 AM
Posting Guru

Big-Foot is a name known to allBig-Foot is a name known to allBig-Foot is a name known to allBig-Foot is a name known to allBig-Foot is a name known to allBig-Foot is a name known to all
Thanks guys... There is a seal around the perimeter of the door and i think it's in fairly good shape. I suspect that the previous owner left the ramp door open in the rain and the water got in from the hinge area - or - they hosed out the interior and it got in that way. I will be doing some additional sealing around the diamond plate, and may take off the rear fascia to drill some drain holes in to the cavities just in case. All the wood I used was treated, so if water ever does end up in that area again, it will hopefully not rot away like the old stuff did..

Now I need to start looking into finding parts to fix my awning (missing the awning fabric, tube and end hardware) and also repair/replace the tops of two of my slides.. (Ugh)..

2015 F350 Lariat CrewCab 4x4 DRW 6.7L/409CID PSD Bronze Fire Metallic over Caribou
Old 09-22-2014, 08:07 AM
Postmaster

RV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant future
The real solution to this problem is, of course, for the factory to redesign the door so nothing in the bottom could rot or rust away. That would make things more expensive, so I can't see it happening.

Used awning parts are out there and are not too hard to find. A Knoxville, TN. dealer has a ton of used awning parts and even I used to have a good supply, but did a lot of awning work this year and they are almost completely gone. eBay is a good source for awning fabric, although with the sales this year, the price on what Dometic called "universal" fabric was not bad.

Rebuilding the tops of the slides will be labor intensive for sure! Good luck on that.

Steve
Old 09-22-2014, 09:20 AM
Posting Guru

Thanks Steve.. If you think of the name of that dealer in TN, drop me a note...

Old 09-22-2014, 09:56 AM
Postmaster

I think the dealer is Camper's Corner, but an not 100% positive. They advertise on Craigslist so if you search on the Knoxville, TN. listing under RVs, you can probably find them. It looks to me like you have an A&E awning with the roller tube and fabric missing.

Steve
Old 09-22-2014, 10:06 AM
Postmaster

Found it. Here is their ad - USED AND NEW RV PARTS WE HAVE A GREAT SELECTION.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:12 AM
Posting Guru

Thanks Steve!!! I will check them out....

Yes, it is an A&E awning system.... The arms are fine, there is a little bit of torn fabric in the upper anchor molding. I have no idea what might have happened, but it was probably not pretty...

Old 09-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Postmaster

Easy call. The awning was either left out in the wind or it did not have enough slant in the rain and the roller tube bent. They just cut it free from the hauler leaving the remnants in the rail. I also cut em if the fabric is bad as it is easier to do it that way and then just slide the remnant out of the rail.

The roller tube has to ship big truck as will set you back about $75.00 for shipping so finding one used locally is the cheapest way to go. If you buy new, the fabric comes on the tube already tensioned so it is a lot faster to install.

Steve
Old 09-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Senior User

mudfuel06 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Tech View Post
Easy call. The awning was either left out in the wind or it did not have enough slant in the rain and the roller tube bent. They just cut it free from the hauler leaving the remnants in the rail. I also cut em if the fabric is bad as it is easier to do it that way and then just slide the remnant out of the rail.

The roller tube has to ship big truck as will set you back about $75.00 for shipping so finding one used locally is the cheapest way to go. If you buy new, the fabric comes on the tube already tensioned so it is a lot faster to install.

Steve
This makes life a LOT easier! Thanks to Steve and some Youtube videos, I replaced just the fabric on mine and it was a PITA.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:05 AM
Posting Guru

I might have a line on a used 20' awning to replace the missing spool and hardware on mine.. I will know more in a few hours. The voicemail he left me said that it wasn't A&E brand though - so not sure if the hardware will mate with the extra long arms. I have on my camper already..

Old 09-25-2014, 08:21 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
I might have a line on a used 20' awning to replace the missing spool and hardware on mine.. I will know more in a few hours. The voicemail he left me said that it wasn't A&E brand though - so not sure if the hardware will mate with the extra long arms. I have on my camper already..

Carefree and A&E do not match up. Manufacturers do that purposely so they do not have to compete for replacement parts. You can cross over fabric using A&E's universal fabric.

Steve
Old 09-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Senior User

wingedone has a good reputation on FTE.wingedone has a good reputation on FTE.wingedone has a good reputation on FTE.
Nice work Randy!

Just be careful on that new diamond plate, especially if it is wet. It will be slippery!

Good luck on the rest of the project. Looking forward to seeing how you tackle it.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:31 PM