Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vin swap thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:36 PM
tylerz71
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vin swap thoughts?

This is a bit of a far fetched thought but I don't see why I couldn't pull it off. Decided to ask on this forum rather than anywhere else.
Here's the deal. Lets say I have a 94 with 130k good shape little damage. Bought it with NO title but truck is not stolen. I have a 95 with 230k has body damage and such but clear title and insured. Trucks are the exact same color code and everything same engine& trans. Would it be possible/legal to pull the vin tag off the titled truck and install it into the dash of the older truck instead of swapping low mileage parts to the junk trucks body? I know the tire placard and hood decal wouldn't match but they come off regularly anyway.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:51 PM
Trail_Rider
Fleet Mechanic
I'd do it. However, you may never be able to sell it.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:05 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
Do it and dont mention it again lol. Probably not legal but i cant imagine a problem. However if they record mileage wherever you are, there will be an issue if somebody runs the vin

Old 09-21-2014, 09:05 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Other than the FBI knocking on your door, I don't see a problem.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:08 PM
pux17
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Couldn't you get a replacement title from dmv?

Old 09-21-2014, 09:18 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tylerz71
This is a bit of a far fetched thought but I don't see why I couldn't pull it off. Decided to ask on this forum rather than anywhere else.
Here's the deal. Lets say I have a 94 with 130k good shape little damage. Bought it with NO title but truck is not stolen. I have a 95 with 230k has body damage and such but clear title and insured. Trucks are the exact same color code and everything same engine& trans. Would it be possible/legal to pull the vin tag off the titled truck and install it into the dash of the older truck instead of swapping low mileage parts to the junk trucks body? I know the tire placard and hood decal wouldn't match but they come off regularly anyway.
I would think that is illegal as all hell

Old 09-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
Highly illegal. Your not supposed to touch the vin tag. That's why it's riveted onto the cab.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:51 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Super, super illegal. That's title/vin washing.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:06 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Evan_P
Highly illegal. Your not supposed to touch the vin tag. That's why it's riveted onto the cab.
unless of course you change the cab, then you use your old vin plate and title because the new cab does not come with a vin plate or title.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:33 AM
chavist93
New User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
unless of course you change the cab, then you use your old vin plate and title because the new cab does not come with a vin plate or title.
Makes no difference. Still illegal.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:36 AM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by chavist93
as far as I know, that is incorrect. Using your old VIN number when doing a cab swap is perfectly legal. The VIN is defined as the vehicle as a whole, not just the cab on the frame. So if a body shop was doing work and replacing the cab, they should be able to legally put your old VIN on that cab and register it in the DMV database

Old 09-22-2014, 12:08 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Still need proof of ownership of the cab, changing the vin tag without doing so would be illegal.

Here you have an officer stop by take the vin number down checking if it had been reported stolen and contacting the last owner of record. The owner of record would have 30 days to claim the vehicle (or cab). If the registered owner made no claim in that 30 days the ownership would revert to the person in possession of the vehicle (abandoned vehicle or part of same). At that point if no claim was made the officer would provide documentation required for the new owner to transfer to his/her name with the dmv.

Once the parts where put together creating a new single vehicle using parts from two or more, those vin numbers would be used to create a new vin, from that point on it would be registered as an "assembled" vehicle using the year it was titled.

For example if registered this year it would be titled as "2014 assembled", it would no longer state "1996 ford" on the title (drawing an original "model year" from a hat for example), the DMV provides a sticker with the new vin number on it.

I've done it a couple times but I never received a sticker.

That is here in my state, YMMV of course.

Last cab swap I did I made sure to get the tile with the cab, wouldn't give up the cash without it, I did not re register the truck. I have the title to the original truck and its new cab both in my name stashed away in a safe place. Value isn't a consern as unlikely the truck will ever be sold whole before its final demise and removed from service. I could if it came to it but even then no one is going to care about a 94 ford truck titled as a whatever year it might be at that time as a "20xx Assembled vehicle", wouldn't adversely effect its value not worth the paper work.

Point is I can document origin for all its many pieces parts, something the OP here could not do and opens himself up for troubles if doesn't handle it correctly.

Once those rivets are molested he can no longer prove its origin in the eyes of the law, if sure its not stolen not a problem with the owner of record he should go about it the right way even if never intends to sell the truck.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:57 PM
tylerz71
Senior User
Good thoughts and like I said it was mainly an idea that came to mind with the 2 identical trucks. If I took time and did it right the only issue I could fathom is if I wrecked it and the other parties insurance inspector were to find the tampered vin tag. Looks like I will either swap all parts over or just get a bonded title on the truck. I really wanted to use the no title trucks cab it's so much cleaner.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:05 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Originally Posted by chavist93
no it is not. when changing a cab you use your vin plate. the title stays with the frame of the vehicle, not the cab.
there are absolutely no vin stampings on the cab at all. it is on the plate only. the frame on the other had, has the vin stamped in it in at least 2 places.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:59 PM
chavist93
New User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
no it is not. when changing a cab you use your vin plate. the title stays with the frame of the vehicle, not the cab.
there are absolutely no vin stampings on the cab at all. it is on the plate only. the frame on the other had, has the vin stamped in it in at least 2 places.
I'd love to see your state law that says it's legal. I can surely show you one that says it's not. What state are you from?

Quick Reply: Vin swap thoughts?