6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Tangled with a semi....now need to replace my 2011

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 01:53 AM
W7PSK
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I was only referring that a lawyer might be needed to be made whole, not get rich. Unfortunately my dealings with Insurance companies Ive found they care more about their bottom line than your Problems.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:55 AM
Jakebrake
< Samantha...my Co-Pilot

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
First off let me say that it's good to hear that everyone is ok. Secondly, because of the damage involved and the potential medical issues I would not hesitate to get a lawyer. I detest the necessity for lawyers but I'll bet you are going to come up against the Insurance company's lawyer. You are going to need to protect your (and your wife's) interests. The insurance company may want to play an offer off as fair but it may not be considering everything that could be affected. Let me say again that I detest the need for such, but do the smart thing and get a lawyer at the first sign that you run into any resistance for the Insurance company. They are concerned with their bottom line and not you and your family. Right now I see that you are entitled to a rental vehicle of some type, coverage of all medical checks and expenses, loss of wages for time off work,and a fair settlement for your vehicle. Hope it all works out well for you.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:44 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely agree with protecting yourself, legally and otherwise, but this day and age, most folks are looking to make a windfall profit, not a fair settlement.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:37 AM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When my '06 got stolen and then subsequently wrecked and totaled running from the border patrol, my insurance company (Geico) did a thorough job of checking replacement costs for vehicles just like mine, and I came out fine. Granted, it was just them covering their own vehicle (illegals don't have insurance and they couldn't catch them anyway - ran like rats), and no one was hurt, but it can wind up being fair for all involved.

In this case, I would think your insurance company would fight the semi's insurance company on your behalf - it's in their best interest that the other guys pay instead of them. And as long as the outcome is satisfactory for you, that's all that matters.

ETA - Meant to say I'm really glad y'all were okay - there are many times I'm grateful to be in a substantial vehicle with lots 'o airbags!!!

Old 09-26-2014, 02:39 PM
Grunttorque
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember reading about this last week. Looks like that was a pretty scary ride for you guys. Glad everyone is ok. We have a camp lot in Gold Bar just down the hill from there and I hate going down hwy 2 to get there. Too many people have died on that road.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Luckily it looks like a glancing hit but I bet the pucker factor was pretty high for a few seconds!

Looks like the airbags did their job and the A, B and C pillars help up pretty well.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:03 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Also have to add it's rather amazing the semi truck driver lived. If that bank was much steeper and it got all the way over on the cab I think the outcome would have been different for him.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:00 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
horrible situation for all, could have been much worse tho, and thank god it was not.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:23 PM
chperry
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My son has had two vehicles totaled in just over 2 years by women (older women) running red lights while playing with their dam# phone. Get a lawyer. If you get a lawyer, you probably won't have to sue. Just a letter or a call from your lawyer puts your claim in a whole different category. I did not the first time, got screwed. The second time they fell all over themselves to give me a reasonable settlement.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:45 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Don't be in any hurry to take a settlement. Make sure all are well with no hidden medical problems. Thanks for sharing this.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:57 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. T
Well, it seems I need to replace my 2011 after having a run-in with an out of control semi Friday I was heading east over the mountains approaching a narrow bridge. I saw an oncoming semi crossing the bridge going like hell. As he tried to negotiate the curve just after the bridge it was obvious he was losing it. The semi was coming straight at me and his trailer was tipping over at about a 45 degree angle. It was surreal watching this unfold before us...... I slammed on the brakes and swerved as far to the right as I could. As the cab flew by I could see that the trailer was going to get us......thank God for a Big Truck and side airbags!!! The semi overturned and ended up off the Hwy in a ditch. My wife and I and our 2 dogs are sore, I got some stitches and somehow the semi driver survived I really love my truck...
I heard the semi was hauling a full load of apples and pears and there is a possibility his brakes had failed.

It seems from my quick research that there aren't many significant changes from the 2011 to the 2015. Is this correct? Any tips for dealing with the insurance company to get a fair deal? This is the first time I've ever had to deal with a significant loss. Thanks!
Here's some pics.

I'm still going through that. A drunk woman hit my 6.4L last Feburary. A lot is gonna depend on the state you're in and how angry you are. If you send me a PM I'll be glad to share what I've learned from our experience. It's similar to yours in several ways. Also, holy chit man, that must have been scarey. I'm glad no one got hurt.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,505 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Dr T. Glad you and your family are OK. That looked pretty bad.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:29 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
whats that little tiny airbag for on the seat bottom? is it to protect your wallet?

Old 09-30-2014, 08:13 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,969 Likes on 2,190 Posts
Dr. T is likely the only one that will appreciate this comment. I didn't notice until today, but thank heaven the coffee cup is ok. Those are the best insulated travel mugs on the planet. We have four of them in my house

Old 09-30-2014, 08:43 AM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 489 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Skip1970
whats that little tiny airbag for on the seat bottom? is it to protect your wallet?
Lol....Officially it's to protect your pelvis.

Quick Reply: Tangled with a semi....now need to replace my 2011