6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Tangled with a semi....now need to replace my 2011

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 05:52 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
The one thing you won't get on a newer truck is the Hydraboost brakes that the 2011 F350's had. Unless you get a dually, All the new trucks have a vacuum assist for the SRW. Maybe you can use that as an agrueing point for replacement values.

The best way to get a fair settlement is to document just what these trucks are selling for. Too often the insurance wants to give you trade in or low book values. And of course you are trying to get high book or retail values. dealers are not going to sell you a replacement truck at low book values.

Nobody should get more than what their truck is worth. You did own it while it depreciated. But it's reasonable to get a fair value based on what it would cost you to replace it with a similar truck. So make sure you get on the internet and print out some ads that list similar trucks that are in your part of the country and use it to show the insurance company what you will have to pay to replace your truck.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:20 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say there are a lot of frivolous lawsuits, like getting hot coffee spilled and you sue cause it was hot! I think having the fear of God put in you with total fear for your life, and taking a hit like that certainly stands to reason for grounds for a suit.

Maybe it was a completely unavoidable, true accident, then the award may not be worthy of a million bucks. If this was a result of neglect of maintenance, driver negligence or depravation, or possibly roads and/or lack of signage; this then may be what's needed for punishment and a change of culture for offenders.

Facts will come out eventually, but having a lawyer for something like this makes perfect sense. If it were not for the driving skill and fast reaction this would have been a vehicular manslaughter case. Then what?

Old 09-22-2014, 06:32 PM
Mud_Man_Dude
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With enough internet research and effort, a lawyer is not needed if you write the right kind of demand letters and provide proof of all expenses. Hopefully the "other guy's" insurance carrier will treat you right and make you whole without too much delay. But their biggest tactic is to delay hoping to wear you down and settle for less than you deserve.

I found that there are not that many insurance carriers on big rigs, plenty of different names but owned by a few of the same big companies.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:37 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
One of the big items is lost wages or time spent dealing with this. Got to pay yourself.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:07 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did the big truck driver make it?

That was bad, congrats on beating the odds.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:09 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by clem1226
Did the big truck driver make it?
Originally Posted by Dr. T
My wife and I and our 2 dogs are sore, I got some stitches and somehow the semi driver survived

tencharacters

Old 09-22-2014, 09:27 PM
Dr. T
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nobody's looking to get a windfall off this. We already feel like we won the lottery by simply being able to walk away from the wreck... If we're hassled we'll talk to an attorney but we're just hoping to be treated fairly and not lowballed.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:11 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nobody's looking to get a windfall off this. We already feel like we won the lottery by simply being able to walk away from the wreck... If we're hassled we'll talk to an attorney but we're just hoping to be treated fairly and not lowballed.
That's the spirit and the RIGHT thing to do!!!

Old 09-22-2014, 10:12 PM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
The trucker/his insurance definitely owe you a replacement vehicle equal in value, plus legal feels and any resulting medical costs, lost wages from trying to take care of it, etc.

I'm not fan of huge settlements, but some sort of stiff punishment is needed if it turns out that this was a preventable accident on the part of the trucker.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:23 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
That's a great attitude about it (unlike here in Vegas). That being said...insurance companies do have a reputation and some of them are not fair.
I hope that's not the case for you!

Old 09-22-2014, 10:57 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Agree completely on the attitude, thank God everyone is okay, my seat would have needed a thorough cleaning after that!!

Old 09-22-2014, 11:00 PM
BoatDreamin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad every one is ok and that you were in that size of a truck. I agree with the size vehicle saved your life.
My 2003 F250 saved my life twice and although not involved with a semi I know if I were in a lighter or smaller truck the odds would be different.

One scenario was with a tornado (crazy winds, trees and a shed blown into the road) -straight out of twister but just not a house but with a 16 ft trailer.

The other was black ice on 80 or 76 just into the Colorado border on a trip to Breckenridge. My cousin who doesn't drive trucks much took the wheel for a couple ours since I had been driving most of the prior trip. Not knowing the dew was freezing on the road I let him drive. He didn't notice it in time until I felt it and coached him through a passenger seat driving lesson. By that time we were doing a 75 mph spin out and down through the center grass median. Luckily the counter steer with a quick 4x4 switch and full throttle manuver pulled us straight and back out of what should have been a roll over. Not one part was broken or loose when I had the truck looked at from either event and that's FORD TOUGH!! Please don't think I'm trying to compete with your situation, I'm just sharing another "truck saved my life" moment with you and hope you get another big truck.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:14 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
We had a horrible experience with our claims when our car was totaled... In the end it worked out OK, but research and perseverance are key. Although ours was a little more complicated because the at fault driver was killed and had no insurance...

And I agree, all I want is what I am supposed to get and not a nickle more, but not a nickle less either...

Old 09-22-2014, 11:20 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
i bet if your treat them fair theyll treat you fair, the one person that wont treat you fair will be the lawyer thatll take 50% of your money gained.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:23 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Skip1970
i bet if your treat them fair theyll treat you fair, the one person that wont treat you fair will be the lawyer thatll take 50% of your money gained.
X2!....

Quick Reply: Tangled with a semi....now need to replace my 2011