6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Frustrated and mad

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 05:46 PM
Hotshot and more
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Frustrated and mad

hey guys I'm new but have read many of your comments and they have been great help. I have a huge problem and would welcome some advice.

I purchased a used 2008 F 450 with 96,000 miles it needed EGR's replaced and I took it to my mechanic [big truck] but he does work on the fords etc some. He replaced the EGR's and said the Turbo should be rebuilt so I had it rebuilt, at the same time. When I got ready to pick it up the engine had developed a knock in the lower end, and from the looks of things the engine was a pull out from the junk yard it had yellow numbers on many of the parts. Given the bad wrap on these engine's I decided bite the bullet and put a new engine in it. I want to use it for hotshot's long haul and don't want problems. The new engine is in and running but I have no power and it is still loosing water but not leaking externally. It went into Regen while is was test driving it and would not complete. I took it to ford for a forced regen and to see what was the problem with no boost from the turbo? They said the turbo was bad. I removed the turbo and took back to the place that rebuilt it to have it checked out, and they said everything was fine. During the removal I found the original mechanic had a crimp in the fuel line from in the install so I thought that I had found the problem. Reinstalled the turbo nothing had changed no power still. I thought that the intercooler might be clogged so I had it cleaned and same result . It has not thrown any codes at all during this whole ordeal. It does now generate some boost but not much. I don't know what to do now any suggestions would be greatly appreciated besides a strategically place ZIPPO Thanks

Old 09-19-2014, 04:43 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, I hate to say it but it sounds like you've been played somewhere along the line. So much going on in such a short time, but since you supposedly have a new engine we'll skip right to there.
First if the truck is loosing water that must be the first thing fixed, if it's a egr cooler that could bring big problems if not corrected. You could hydro-lock the engine and then it would be coming back out.
Second it needs to go to a dealer that knows what there doing, the Ford dealer should have been able to tell you why you have no power. I know the first one told you it was the turbo but evidently they are wrong. It could be the DPF is plugged but that should give you other issues and codes.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:25 AM
Hotshot and more
New User
First Thanks for your input. I have not heard of Hydro-lock what is that and how do you fix it? I was wondering if the new (rebuilt) EGR's might be bad and causing the water lose it lost a gallon three different times during a three to five mile test drive.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:35 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
I agree, first things first.

Don't run the motor.

Pressure test the system. Look for leaks at the upper and lower radiator hoses. Look for leaks at the radiator seams.

Lack of those places would probably indicate the EGR coolers are leaking. Might be internally or externally due from misalignment.

I take it no white smoke or sweet smell from the exhaust?

How about your oil level? Is the oil growing?

Check with the motor off and sitting for a few hours. Pull the dipstick all the way out in one shot. Wipe and then insert just to the tip of the yellow handle. Pull back out.

Read the dipstick now. Should give a better reading in the cross hatch area now. Center of that area is full.

So..what do we have so far?

Old 09-19-2014, 12:01 PM
Hotshot and more
New User
Thanks for your response. The oil level is growing I think because when I pulled the turbo I lost about1/2 gal and dip stick reads full still. how do you not get EGR,s aligned correctly? It seemed to be pretty straight forward? No white smoke and no smells and no visible leaking at radiator the water just disappears

Old 09-19-2014, 12:20 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
If the oil is growing ...after a check with a cold soak using the short stick method then either EGR coolers are leaking into the system, Headgaskets (unlikely with a new block) or caviation behind the water pump (also unlikely)

A pressure test is warranted.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:22 AM
Hotshot and more
New User
Thanks that is my next step.