6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Starter going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 03:38 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
Starter going bad?

My 05 Excursion 119,000 miles has been starting fine, 1 year old Motorcraft batteries. On Saturday when starting up, about 70 degrees outside, the starter spun, slowed down and sped up again, the truck started and ran fine all day. On Sunday it started fine. Yesterday it did the same thing.

We took it by the dealer today and the batteries and charging system test fine. My wife took it so there was no report and no charge.

Am I looking at a starter, I have not checked anything myself.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:15 PM
Mich6.0
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 04 starter had a delay before it failed , wife forgot to tell me and had to call a friend
to come get me and take it home . I would change it they aren't that expensive and easy to change

Old 09-18-2014, 08:48 PM
zrt600guy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She's on her way out. Change it before it leaves you stranded somewhere, like it did me!

Old 09-18-2014, 09:27 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
I thought so, Thanks!

I have used OReilly electrical parts on my gassers would you use one on the diesel?

Old 09-18-2014, 09:41 PM
zrt600guy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
I thought so, Thanks!

I have used OReilly electrical parts on my gassers would you use one on the diesel?
I personally went Napa, and have no experience with Orielly.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:14 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I thought so, Thanks!

Not NO but HELL NO. Napa or Ford OEM.

Sean

Old 09-19-2014, 07:32 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Ok, which NAPA starter, reman or new? I live in a small town and we don't have a NAPA store but there are a couple in the city I work in.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:55 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Just an FYI out there. NAPA warranties gas engine starters for life, diesels are 2 years for both reman and new.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:04 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Just an FYI out there. NAPA warranties gas engine starters for life, diesels are 2 years for both reman and new.
Here is their warranty:

THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT INCLUDE LABOR OR COVER THE COST OF ANY

ADDITIONAL COMPONENTS AND LABOR REQUIRED TO RESTORE THE ELECTRICAL

SYSTEM TO ITS PROPER OPERATING CONDITION

This warranty applies to American and import cars, vans and light trucks under 8,000 lbs.

G.V.W. For vehicles used for towing, racing, public service, security or government use,

off-highway recreational use, four-wheel drive off-highway competition, fleet or commercial use,

see below.

Warranty is one (1) year from date of purchase for commercial, fleet, government/

security under 8,000 lbs. G.V.W.

Warranty is two (2) years from date of purchase for light trucks and vans

equipped with diesel engines under 8,000 lbs. G.V.W.

Warranty is for ninety (90) days from date of purchase for off-highway/

competition under 8,000 lbs. G.V.W.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:16 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Why not have it rebuilt by a local shop?

It'll be much cheaper and it's fixed better than some of the parts store starters.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:42 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Why not have it rebuilt by a local shop?

It'll be much cheaper and it's fixed better than some of the parts store starters.
You and I are on the same page. I need the truck up and running tomorrow and with my luck the starter will take a dump this weekend. I am thinking about getting the Oreilly's one and not turning in the original with the $10 core and having it rebuilt. I will then swap it out and keep the Oreilly's as a spare.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:33 AM
zrt600guy
Senior User
I have a good relationship with my local NAPA and they will warranty the starter if it goes out regardless. I purchased a new (not rebuilt/reman) napa lifetime starter for $137ish. I was able to get it for a big discount because of my aita membership. Check it out, it's free, and the savings have been hundreds of dollars in the past year America's Independent Truckers' Association: Home You can check to see if you local napa store participates on that site as well. I signed up while I was at the napa store and they honored the price right then and there. If you call your local store ask them for the AITA price on a new starter, and if they need the account number it's 31999, pricing code 9062. I have no affiliation, I just prefer as much money in my wallet as possible! Because it was a new starter, there was no core. I went and had my original rebuilt at the local alternator starter shop and kept it as a spare as well.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Texas Bob
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
zrt600guy,

I dialed up the AITA site and they seemed to have several membership types - legacy etc. Which one did you sign up for? Is the 31999 code the code for everyone in AITA?
How does the pricing code of 9062 relate to the 31999. This is nice information to have as I'm sure I'll need a starter sooner or later. Thanks.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:22 PM
zrt600guy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Texas Bob
zrt600guy,

I dialed up the AITA site and they seemed to have several membership types - legacy etc. Which one did you sign up for? Is the 31999 code the code for everyone in AITA?
How does the pricing code of 9062 relate to the 31999. This is nice information to have as I'm sure I'll need a starter sooner or later. Thanks.
I have the "Heavy Duty" personal card membership. I'm not sure I had an option when I first signed up a couple years ago. It would be interesting to see if the legacy card gave a better discount, but I see it requires you have an existing Napa account, which I do not have. Sounds like legacy is more business directed rather than personal directed. I've never qualified for any quarterly rebates, but I have gotten the best pricing to date, on anything I've purchased at Napa, with my aita card.

The account number and pricing profile are set with the program I believe. I included them because from time to time when I call Napa to get a price on something with my aita card they ask for the account number, and once they asked for the pricing profile as well.

Again, I have no affiliation what so ever. I just like to keep as much of my money that I earn. I recommend anyone who purchases from Napa with any regularity to check it out. A store manager whom I was always asking to price match things told me about the card and that it was some of the best pricing he could offer. aitaonline.com

Old 09-20-2014, 06:51 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
I've never had a problem getting my NAPA starter warranty. I'm on my 3rd in 7 years and two were my fault. I'd get another whether or not it had a lifetime warranty just because of the increased cranking speed and faster starts it gives me.

Quick Reply: Starter going bad?