1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford vs Ram frame twisting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 01:13 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Ford vs Ram frame twisting?

I am a newer member here and love my 2000 7.3 PSD, but one day will be upgrading. I was dead set on a 2015 6.7 because I have always been a Ford fan, but then ran across the two videos below.

I am not looking to start a pissing contest between Ram and Ford, I would simply like some owners opinions based on what they have seen or experienced in reference to the Ram frame twist or lack there of versus the Ford frame twist.

I did perform several searches and was not able to come up with a decent answer, but if you know of another thread that already addresses this question, I would be happy to read it after you have posted a link.

I look forward to your comments.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:40 PM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
There are 2 camps in looking at this. Personally, I would prefer to keep my tires on the ground for traction, so the flex doesn't bother me. For what I tow (10K) and haul I will stick with Ford.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:11 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by LabCab
There are 2 camps in looking at this. Personally, I would prefer to keep my tires on the ground for traction, so the flex doesn't bother me. For what I tow (10K) and haul I will stick with Ford.
I understand and agree 100%, although if we are spending that much money on a heavy duty truck, I want it to be safe and last a long time for my family.

Frankly, I was surprised to see the outcome of the videos. I have owned a Ford in one fashion or another for the past 30 years, but when it is time to get a new truck I may have to sway from my tradition.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:34 PM
hodge5
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
My previous truck, a 94 Ram 2500, had the most rigid frame of any truck I had ever owned. Beyond a doubt, it flexed much less that the 96, 87, 84, or 78 Fords that I owned. I never had an issue with tires lifting, either (on the Dodge). The suspension, in my opinion, should flex enough without relying on the frame to absorb some of the twist. I spend a lot of time in Haiti, where the environment/conditions push any vehicle to the limit. I have seen too many Ford and Chevy trucks either sway-backed or with repaired frames, because they couldn't take the constant flexing. To give them credit, these trucks were pushed to the limit their entire lives. But, frames broke, regardless. Again, a suspension that flexes is of more value to me than a frame that gives. I've seen frames flex enough for the bed to hit the cab- that's unacceptable.
Now, my 04 F350, is nice and rigid- it doesn't flex any more than the Dodge did. I'm impressed with it.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:46 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Ya those staggered ramps are pain, I have to drive over them everywhere I go....

Old 09-18-2014, 02:47 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by hodge5
My previous truck, a 94 Ram 2500, had the most rigid frame of any truck I had ever owned. Beyond a doubt, it flexed much less that the 96, 87, 84, or 78 Fords that I owned. I never had an issue with tires lifting, either (on the Dodge). The suspension, in my opinion, should flex enough without relying on the frame to absorb some of the twist. I spend a lot of time in Haiti, where the environment/conditions push any vehicle to the limit. I have seen too many Ford and Chevy trucks either sway-backed or with repaired frames, because they couldn't take the constant flexing. To give them credit, these trucks were pushed to the limit their entire lives. But, frames broke, regardless. Again, a suspension that flexes is of more value to me than a frame that gives. I've seen frames flex enough for the bed to hit the cab- that's unacceptable.
Now, my 04 F350, is nice and rigid- it doesn't flex any more than the Dodge did. I'm impressed with it.
I want to make sure I understand you correctly. You now own a 2004 F350 but have had a lot of experience with Ford and Chevy twisting frames to the point of breaking over the years. Based on your experience, when the suspension is pushed past the point of providing enough flex, the frame should take over and hold rigid like the Ram or the Chevy did in the videos and the Ford did not?

I am not interested in the Chevy as I think they are not very aesthetically pleasing, but am strongly considering a 2015+ Ram due to the frame flex issue. I was dead set on a Ford F350 until I saw these videos, but I would like to find out what others have experienced in the real world and not on YouTube.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:48 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by 2ndStroke
Ya those staggered ramps are pain, I have to drive over them everywhere I go....
Thank you for your input... perhaps you should vary your routes to avoid them...

Although the range of motion may not be as extreme in every day use, but I am looking at repeated similarities of this test like speed bumps, going through a ditch, rough terrain, etc. My new heavy duty will not be a road queen and will see plenty of off road adventures, just like my 7.3 F250 does now. So, despite the fact that you may not see staggered ramps or something similar does not mean that no one else will.

I am simply trying to make an educated decision on my next purchase instead of blindly jumping into a $60K.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:03 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Sous
Thank you for your input... perhaps you should vary your routes to avoid them...

Although the range of motion may not be as extreme in every day use, but I am looking at repeated similarities of this test like speed bumps, going through a ditch, rough terrain, etc. My new heavy duty will not be a road queen and will see plenty of off road adventures, just like my 7.3 F250 does now. So, despite the fact that you may not see staggered ramps or something similar does not mean that no one else will.

I am simply trying to make an educated decision on my next purchase instead of blindly jumping into a $60K.
Sorry, bad joke, same joke I use with my buddy that brings these videos up. (Dodge guy)

Here's an interesting read

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-twisting.html

Old 09-18-2014, 03:09 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
How much has the sd frame changed since 99? I mean really, there are heck of a lot of super duties on the road around here, a lot of older one as well, never really heard of any issues myself...my '11 goes off road a lot, I've never noticed anything close to that video, maybe due to not being a dually

Old 09-18-2014, 03:18 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by 2ndStroke
Sorry, bad joke, same joke I use with my buddy that brings these videos up. (Dodge guy)

Here's an interesting read

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-twisting.html
Great find there, I did not see that thread when I was searching for some reason. There is some great information in there and I appreciate you helping me make a personal/financial decision.

I think the post that hit home the most was this one...

"when i saw the video i figured that engineers carefully studied and calculated the load to be applied to cause a failure. not hard to do. besides if a super duty has some allowable flex, its by design. good example is aircraft wings which are designed to flew to compensate for turbulence. those with rigid wings are not as comfortable to passengers and experience greater transfer of vibration and stress."

This is a very good point to consider.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:09 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
For what it is worth, the frames are made entirely different therefore so will the results of any given test.

I have also plated fully boxed jeeps before because they didn't flex and cracked.

Drive the truck that you like the best.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:36 PM
redford
Received 1,564 Likes on 912 Posts
Dodge (Ram) puts out videos of selected tests that make the Dodge (Ram....Fiat?) look better than a Ford or GM/Chevrolet.

So does GM/Chevrolet.

So does Ford.

Are these videos meaningful?

Chevy has one where they prove a Chevy with a locking diff can get up a ramp that was slippery on just one side better than a Super Duty with an open diff. Captain Obvious was the driver.

Ford has a video that was out a while back where they tested the stability control with a trailer that had negative tongue weight, comparing it to GM/Chevrolet and Ram/Dodge/Fiat. Stability control wins. Again, Captain Obvious was driving.

All vehicle manufacturers do this. The videos are entertaining, but hardly informative and useful.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Husky44
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To me the meaningful question would be "over XX years of SuperDuty production, how many examples are there in the real world of frames twisting to the point of body damage, or to the point that a truck cannot be aligned properly, etc?"

I'm guessing it's an infinitesimally small percentage of total production, and isn't worth considering unless you own a tortoise ranch on the Galapagos Islands.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:25 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
The makers of this video are hoping that you believe them when they say that frame twist is bad.

Who decided that? Personally, I would rather have my frame flex and keep all four wheels on the ground and have traction, than have a rigid frame that leaves me high and dry.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:49 PM
KellyfromVA
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whereas an interesting test, the difference between the Ford and the Dodge that pushed me toward Ford, was it's made in the USA. Dodge is made in Mexico. I'm not buying a US truck made in Mexico. I'll put up with some frame flex.

Quick Reply: Ford vs Ram frame twisting?