1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Missing and Stumbling @ WOT

Old 10-15-2014, 10:16 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Krause
Byron, I dont post here often, but I lurk quite a bit. I'll echo what others have said, a SD would be nice from some respects, but split shots are not all that amazing, and many of the things you have mentioned on your list would likely need to be done on a SD as well. To be honest, of your list, only #1 can not be completed in a weekend. Someone with experience removing/installing 7.3 injectors can help and two hands could have 2/3/4 and 5 all done in one swing on a saturday/sunday (start early and you could even have # 6 done on the same weekend). From the looks of your list, it dosnt look like you/re that far off.... Collect some parts and crank it out. And of course, the tranny is everyone's dreaded deal. But again, thats a day trip to John wood and you will be driving home that evening, no stress. This would need to be done on a SD as well, (or a 1000$$ SB/equivalent clutch).. Be patient and save the pennies, I think you're in better shape than you think. -Krause
Krause, thanks for the input! Even more assurance that keeping this truck is the best way to go, hands down. I am really glad I did nto do anything hastily and make a decision I would regret. Now, if I just wanted the SD because I always wanted one, that might be different, but this was more thinking that what I had was going to require a lot. When I looked at it, you and everyone else were right in that I really would not be that far ahead and would regret selling my truck. I think you are right too that these things I need to take care of are not that big of a deal. The only one I can't do myself is the trans, and that will be taken care of by John Woods. I talked to him for awhile yesterday and the trans he is going to build will be in their for the life of the truck. Thanks again!

Old 10-15-2014, 02:40 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how much is that going to run you? And that's installed too?

(you can PM me if you don't want to say)

And he says the trans will NEVER need rebuilt, no matter what?

Old 10-15-2014, 04:32 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Yeah Darin, I agree. For now, it's been decided that Ruby stays. The one SD I wanted to look at has a "mileage discrepancy" on the Carfax. No thanks. I talked at length with John Woods about getting another E4OD built and am pretty sure that's the route I am going to go. Trying to source all the parts and the stuff for the swap just isn't feasible for me right now. If someone popped with EVERY part I would need for a good price, I might do it. But to pull in and have a really good E4OD installed in a day and be able to drive home with a good warranty sounds good to me. Again, your input has been invaluable! Thanks fellas. Stay tuned! More mod stuff to come pretty soon!
Hell, I should have taken you to drive my dad's SD. It is Ruby's Super Duty brother. Exact same truck, just a super duty. It's even red. LOL.

I too have both trucks and you have ridden in both of them, Byron. Granted my OBS is knocking on the door of 400k miles, the truck still runs, and handles just fine out on the road. It just looks like hell.

I am a die hard OBS fan driving a Super Duty. I like my SD. It's a nice truck, I keep it clean, it runs OK, but guess what? The only thing that I haven't had to do to this truck that I would have had to do to an OBS is the fuel pump wiring and the IC.. In order to satisfy my needs/wants, I still had to upgrade the injectors, HPOP, fuel system, clutch, etc, etc, etc.. So basically what I have done in the last 323 days that I've owned the SD is drop about $20k on a truck.. I could have done the same thing with an OBS and probably would have spent a couple grand less on the initial purchase of the truck.

I will add that just because it's newer, doesn't make it much more reliable really. I've driven mine 20k miles. In that time frame I have had to replace one HPOP line, fix two fuel leaks on the stock fuel system, replace the drag link, sway bar bushings, both unit bearings, brake pads up front, pads and rotors both on the rear, lockout hubs, windshield (I now need yet another windshield), and I think I need to grease the slip yoke in the driveshaft or replace the carrier bearing to fix the little vibration when I take off from a stop.

That's quite a few issues when you consider the truck only has 180k miles on it, BUT all of those problems were things I could fix pretty quickly..

As far as your list goes, the trans is the hard part. The HPOP I can do in less than an hour next time you come to Texas. Injectors are maybe 4-5 hours depending on how many of those dang Shiners you talk me into. Gauges are only a few hours also. That whole list really is fairly simple, easy, and can be easily done in a weekend if you have the parts and stay busy.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:01 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
In that time frame I have had to replace sway bar bushings...

I think that's a SD thing. Both my SDs and my dads all needed em... Everyone thinks the front ends coming apart when they ride with me

Old 10-15-2014, 07:39 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Hell, I should have taken you to drive my dad's SD. It is Ruby's Super Duty brother. Exact same truck, just a super duty. It's even red. LOL. I too have both trucks and you have ridden in both of them, Byron. Granted my OBS is knocking on the door of 400k miles, the truck still runs, and handles just fine out on the road. It just looks like hell. I am a die hard OBS fan driving a Super Duty. I like my SD. It's a nice truck, I keep it clean, it runs OK, but guess what? The only thing that I haven't had to do to this truck that I would have had to do to an OBS is the fuel pump wiring and the IC.. In order to satisfy my needs/wants, I still had to upgrade the injectors, HPOP, fuel system, clutch, etc, etc, etc.. So basically what I have done in the last 323 days that I've owned the SD is drop about $20k on a truck.. I could have done the same thing with an OBS and probably would have spent a couple grand less on the initial purchase of the truck. I will add that just because it's newer, doesn't make it much more reliable really. I've driven mine 20k miles. In that time frame I have had to replace one HPOP line, fix two fuel leaks on the stock fuel system, replace the drag link, sway bar bushings, both unit bearings, brake pads up front, pads and rotors both on the rear, lockout hubs, windshield (I now need yet another windshield), and I think I need to grease the slip yoke in the driveshaft or replace the carrier bearing to fix the little vibration when I take off from a stop. That's quite a few issues when you consider the truck only has 180k miles on it, BUT all of those problems were things I could fix pretty quickly.. As far as your list goes, the trans is the hard part. The HPOP I can do in less than an hour next time you come to Texas. Injectors are maybe 4-5 hours depending on how many of those dang Shiners you talk me into. Gauges are only a few hours also. That whole list really is fairly simple, easy, and can be easily done in a weekend if you have the parts and stay busy.
What Shiner and how many? All of them in a big cooler like last time? LMAO! You got a deal. Looks like we are moving back to the area sooner than later, so we'll talk. And the OBS just needs a bath and a dash shine. As always, really appreciate the input Travis. It's invaluable. When we get done with Ruby, even though he's a dually, I wanna be able to burn a bit of rubber off those four read tires! LOL

As you know, I don't even want somebody to do the work for me. I just want somebody to stand by and say "don't do that dumba$$!!" and make sure nothing bad happens...oh, and put down a few Shiners in the process!

Old 10-15-2014, 09:08 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Now, now Byron, I read on and on in this thread and its very interesting. But, I want to know the truth, did your wife tell you to keep Ruby?

Old 10-15-2014, 09:48 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by El Camino Man
If you don't mind me asking, how much is that going to run you? And that's installed too?

(you can PM me if you don't want to say)

And he says the trans will NEVER need rebuilt, no matter what?
JP, no problem at all homie. There are four different versions, of which the last two are not even a consideration for me since they are $5900 and $7400, but they are way more than I need. The first two are the Towmaster, which is $4700 and the Econo HD, which is $2900. His words to me verbatim were "the Econe HD will hold up to any Suncoast/ATS that these guys are paying $6k for" and he said "it's a 300k mile transmission if the owner drives it right and doesn't tow 20,000 pounds everyday all day" (like Glenn) Between my horse trailer (which I don't have yet) and my RV, I will never tow more than 11,000 pounds and my towing is only 2-3 times a month and I know how to tow without really stressing the truck. John said with my mods now and the future ones, it'll hold just fine and he builds them to withstand some punishment and abuse.

So, long story short, I should be out the door for about $3400 depending on my core. It probably is not useable because the case is cracked around the starter...a little nice surprise I found out last January when I blew a trans line in Texas. Labor is $350 for either trans. Hope that all makes sense. I could get the Towmaster, but I'd really rather use that money for injectors and HPOP, etc... If John said I definitely needed it, I'd do it, but he seems to think I'll be in good shape. As far as warranty, it is one year, but he did say if something ever happens to it, he wouldn't charge labor unless I did something stupid like neutral drops, trying to sled pull and other dumba$$ stuff. My main thing right now is to get dependability and longevity for the move to Texas and trailer towing for the future so mu ponies will be good to go and I won't have to worry about fluid blowing out of it every time I stop for fuel like this last trip I took. Wow, was that a good way to give yourself cardiac arrest. Hope you don't mind the book! You asked! LOL

Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Now, now Byron, I read on and on in this thread and its very interesting. But, I want to know the truth, did your wife tell you to keep Ruby?
How did you know Glenn? She's attached....what can I say? I got me a good one. She don't like debt, payments, or Dodges!!

Old 10-15-2014, 10:31 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
What Shiner and how many? All of them in a big cooler like last time? LMAO! You got a deal. Looks like we are moving back to the area sooner than later, so we'll talk. And the OBS just needs a bath and a dash shine. As always, really appreciate the input Travis. It's invaluable. When we get done with Ruby, even though he's a dually, I wanna be able to burn a bit of rubber off those four read tires! LOL

As you know, I don't even want somebody to do the work for me. I just want somebody to stand by and say "don't do that dumba$$!!" and make sure nothing bad happens...oh, and put down a few Shiners in the process!
Easy stuff dude. If you can stretch it, it'd be worth running the Towmaster trans IMO. The trans is like anything else, it needs to be capable of holding more than what you're actually gonna throw at it.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:41 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Easy stuff dude. If you can stretch it, it'd be worth running the Towmaster trans IMO. The trans is like anything else, it needs to be capable of holding more than what you're actually gonna throw at it.
I completely agree...IF I could stretch it, but I can't. With making a big move and all the other stuff that comes with that will make it pretty difficult. He did say it's fine at 350-400 HP, as long as I am not romping on it. It will take some abuse, but again just not daily towing 20k with Stage 2s and other heavy mods. I have confidence he wouldn't sell me that if he thought I'd kill it sooner than later. He makes more money with the Towmaster anyways.

I'd start another thread, but I'll just say here that we pretty much decided last night that we are definitely relocating! So lots of change going on over here and I have lots to do to get ready to make the trek. I not only have the OBS, but the Volvo will need a new fuel pump and a tune up for good measure. I'll keep you guys posted. I am going to call John today and make the appointment! Good times ahead.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:50 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So what happens with the new job then Byron? And what are you gonna do about the surfing?

Old 10-16-2014, 11:59 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
So what happens with the new job then Byron? And what are you gonna do about the surfing?
Well Nick, it's just become very difficult to live in Southern California and I'm just about over it. The new job.... I'm really bummed about having to leave it but things are what they are and I'm trying to do what I feel like I'm supposed to do. Already have a couple of possibilities lined up working on a ranch and riding horses full-time and that's what I really love to do anyway. So as far as that goes I'll be riding horses and working on my graduate degree. As far as surfing, I will definitely miss it and that was a factor in my thinking. But you can't raise a family on surfing and my little girl needs to be close to her grandparents and close to her cousins. I think it'll be a lot better for everybody all around, not just me. It's a hard decision but truth be told, when you write it all out on paper, living in Texas far outweighs living in California at this point my life.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:42 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well Nick, it's just become very difficult to live in Southern California and I'm just about over it. The new job.... I'm really bummed about having to leave it but things are what they are and I'm trying to do what I feel like I'm supposed to do. Already have a couple of possibilities lined up working on a ranch and riding horses full-time and that's what I really love to do anyway. So as far as that goes I'll be riding horses and working on my graduate degree. As far as surfing, I will definitely miss it and that was a factor in my thinking. But you can't raise a family on surfing and my little girl needs to be close to her grandparents and close to her cousins. I think it'll be a lot better for everybody all around, not just me. It's a hard decision but truth be told, when you write it all out on paper, living in Texas far outweighs living in California at this point my life.
Plus, you'll be close to Travis!

Old 10-16-2014, 02:57 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ReBilld
Plus, you'll be close to Travis!
And that was the main reason I'm going there. I need a truck to can burn out at will!! LOL!!

Old 10-16-2014, 03:33 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
What area are y'all looking at Byron? We have enough Californians over here by me already, so unless you're gonna help me chase them out of here.... LOL!!!

Old 10-16-2014, 04:50 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So the Texas boys have to convoy to RRE then. Nice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Missing and Stumbling @ WOT