1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

1 melted ucvh pigtail

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 11:18 AM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1 melted ucvh pigtail

Truck starts like its running on 4 cylinders, CEL is on im getting p1316 code, nothing else.

I inspected my harness and only one pigtail was melted out of the four. From what I've read glowplugs fail and short the harness out.

So my question, do I replace all my glowplugs as its probably time and to prevent further problems, as well with all new ucvh pigtails as preventive matenince.

Or do I just replace the one pigtail and 4 of the glowplugs in the affected valve cover?

Old 09-18-2014, 11:46 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it were me, I would replace all 8. Chances are if you have some bad ones, the others aren't real far behind. About the time you get it back together, some on the other side will start to fail, at least that's how it works for me most of the time.

As for the harnesses, obviously replace the burnt one, but if the rest is in good shape, and there isn't any oil inside the connectors, you could re-use them. OEM ones are a little spendy, but worth it in my opinion, Riffraff is where I got mine. Though some here have run the Dorman ones with out any issues.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:07 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2. Replace all GPs and at a minimum the bad harnesses. If you decide to replace all the harnesses research converting to SD style harnesses. My experience with the Dorman harnesses was not good.

If the IDM detects a short, it will shut an entire bank down. So that explains why it sounded like it was only running on four cylinders.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:12 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
We strongly suggest OEM, whether you purchase from us or locally, because the are reliable and last unlike the overseas knockoffs. We actually would make more on the Dorman, but we won't run them on our own trucks so why sell them, right?

Under Valve Cover Harness 94.5-97 - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Old 09-18-2014, 12:32 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was definatly glad I didn't cheap out, I only had one side that was bad, and it wasn't even that bad, but I had the money, and wanted to do it right so it got 4 new harnesses and 2 new gaskets.

And like Phil said, you could convert to the SD gaskets (only 1 harness per side insted of 2), I think it ends up being cheaper when its all said and done, but theres some soldering and splicing involved, if your up for that sort of thing.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:46 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
The Super Duty ones are the way to go, although it is more work to get them setup. They look much cleaner, and have better pin/wire size. Also, the UVCH design Dorman has is awesome these days. They are one piece and has no internal connector that is known to come apart.

I just used extra electrical shielding on my wires when I did it and knock on wood so far has been great.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:29 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
We actually would make more on the Dorman, but we won't run them on our own trucks so why sell them, right?

Now that's what I like to hear (or, rather... read)!

Old 09-18-2014, 02:21 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^^^ The word is _integrity_. Getting hard to come by these days. Clay & Co. still have an abundant supply....

Old 09-18-2014, 03:51 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Thanks for all the responses.
I have read mixed things about converting. The general consensus here seems to go with the SD design.

Is there a known good write up of the conversion?

If I do go with this conversion is there any other preventive matenince while in there?

Old 09-18-2014, 04:02 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
If you use these wiring diagrams, you can match up the colors and be good to go.

IIRC through riffraff its about 100 bucks cheaper to go the SD route with one connector.

As for other maintenance, how are your glow plugs?

Old 09-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Old 09-18-2014, 05:22 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
[/QUOTE]
IIRC through riffraff its about 100 bucks cheaper to go the SD route with one connector.

As for other maintenance, how are your glow plugs?
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the schematic, but I still would like a write up to allow me to be comfortable w doing this mod., ive never even used a soldering gun before. I havent found any write ups conataining info to convert.

My gp's are fine other than one I think. I havent ohmed anything out, but on the one melted pigtail, only one of five of the ports is melted. Thus im assumming my other gp's are ok, probaly not the best method of determining a problem. But if my valve covers are coming off all gp's are coming out.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:36 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
If you look at the top schematic, it shows number one injector is number 2 on the 42 pin connector. The schematic below is that connector and shows number 2 is tan. Match that tan color to the number one injector, follow the same path for the other 7, and you are good.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:40 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
^ thanks again for all your help, I will definitely rep ya.

Looks like im converting, ill order everything tommorow. Thank you riff raff for posting links to what I need.

Ill pick up some gp's to keep me occupied over the weekend. This will be a first time project as well. I will be using Motocraft gp's unless there is better out there, but these have lasted for 17 years

Old 09-19-2014, 05:39 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Motorcraft zd11 gp's only for sure. Riffraff sells them too, but if you want them this weekend, I believe oriellys has them, maybe others.

Quick Reply: 1 melted ucvh pigtail