Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

1.0 turbine housing/ported compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 10:13 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clux, besides the surge how do you like the current driving characteristics?

When you tow, heavy loads much? Cattle, horses, hay bails?
If so, are u happy with the EGT's when pulling?

Old 09-20-2014, 11:35 AM
clux
Post Fiend
EGT's overall are pretty good, 800 on the flats and 1100 on the hills is normally about as high as I see towing, but it's pretty flat around here. Nothing really heavy, 10,000 lb trailer at the most but nothing high profile.

Mostly hauling hay and horses. Tow the boat a good bit but that's not much different than empty.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:12 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I might be premature in saying this before others had a chance to give their input, but I think I would be hesitant going with the 1.0 housing for now. Your EGT's are fine and the new ported compressor & stock wheel will take care of the surge. At 4500 feet elevation i'd be more concerned with the with the increased lag and smoke from the drop in air pressure. If you like you can store the 1.0 housing on the shelf until the time comes for bigger injectors.

The 3 times I've been to Denver at 5,000 feet I saw a big increase in smoke with the 1.15 housing ( Van Turbo) and small increase of smoke with the .91 housing on the S366.

Now having said that, you could try it both ways and see which driving characteristics you like better. (After harvest of course).....

But if the surge is curred with the new housing & wheel all I see you doing is moving more towards the right on the compressor map.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:16 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Roland, if your still tracking - what was your elevation with your setup? Closer to sea level?
I think he's a good 125' or so above sea level where he lives.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:47 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by white Buffalo

Roland, if your still tracking - what was your elevation with your setup? Closer to sea level?
Originally Posted by F350-6
I think he's a good 125' or so above sea level where he lives.
Actually, I'm probably closer to 70-75' > sea level where I'm at. I'm less than a hour from the coast.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Crashman927
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope I'm not high jacking here, but after reading what everybody is saying I'm thinking I am building a turbo that will give me lag.

I live in Reno NV at 4500-5000ft I am building a turbo with the following:

Already have
BD 1.0 A/R exhaust housing waste gated
Stock EBV (plan on using DP decel tunes)
New Stock exhaust turbine/shaft
360 bearing

Need to purchase
ATS ported housing
RR Billet wheel for ported housing

I'm about to purchase the billet wheel and ATS housing but now I am on the fence. Should I just stick to the stock intake and use the RR Billet wheel (non ported of course)

I use the truck for towing at work and towing my 5er (15k-17k). I get turbo surge and my EGTs are high when pulling, mostly do to leaking up pipes. I'm replacing the up pipes with bellows and also installing a 4" exhaust. I figured while it is all apart I would install the new built turbo at that time as well.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and sorry if this was a high jack

Old 09-21-2014, 05:21 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Lory,

What EGT's are you seeing now and what tuner / programmer are you currently using? You mentioned DP but your sig shows Edge.

You'll definitely see a decrease in EGT's with the 4" exhaust change. Don't worry too much about the lag. My description might lead you to think it is very pronounced or that it takes 5 seconds for the turbo to really catch, it's not like that at all. The 1.15 housing with stock injectors is the one that Rob & I were referring to.

The ATS housing has nothing to do with lag, this is the piece of the puzzle that will cure your surge.

Edit: my comments in Clux's situation were tilted against the 1.0 housing because he is only experiencing surge and not higher EGT's in his application.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:55 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 575 Likes on 372 Posts
Originally Posted by clux
Ok, so am I right that the D66 is a 4" non ported housing?

And that gives you more boost at lower turbine speeds (less lag)?

What's the D66 effect as far as surge/stall?
Non ported.....and to be honest, I know jack about all this, but I like what I have.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Crashman927
Cross-Country
Rich,

I'm seeing 1250 to 1300 degrees on my EGT's. I am currently using my Edge insight for gauges only. I like the set up for the alarms I am able to set for various things. My insight monitor is set to notify me when the EGT's reach 1250 so I can back off. Right now I am using the Super Chip tunes that came with the truck when I bought it. I have it programmed in the mild tow setting.

I am planning on using DP tunes in the future nothing to crazy, mainly for towing and daily driving. From what I have read on here the tunes would help with any lag.

I had a 6.0 that had terrible lag. If I put the truck against a curb, the truck couldn't even power over the curb. I definitely don't want that again.

From what it sound like I should be Ok with the setup I was original going to build. I was thinking this would give me room for bigger injectors when it came time for replacements.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:15 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Yeah, your running a bit hot at times for a mild tow tune. You should see a100-200 degree drop when you change the up-pipes & exhaust along with a better spool up depending on how bad the up-pipes are leaking your boost out.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:39 PM
Crashman927
Cross-Country
Yeah, my up-pipes are leaking pretty bad. I only get about 10-11 pounds boost at WOT. I'm thinking after all leaks are fix the truck is going to feel brand new.

Thanks for your input. It's always nice when others are thinking the same way

Old 09-22-2014, 10:47 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
These things aren't a "one size fits all" or "what is good for one person is good for everyone" type of thing. It really depends on what type of duty the vehicle is used for and what driving characteristics the owner is after. There's more choices & combinations out there now than before for modifying the stock turbo. it can make it tough to decide......

For example: after towing with the Excursion this weekend I think I like towing with the setup on my F-250 better. But the Excursion wins in the daily driver category for sure.....

compressor housings
5 or 6 types of compressor wheels
3 different turbine housings
substitute in the Van turbo
high flow outlets
wastegated
non-wastegated
etc, etc, etc........then try to find that combo on a compressor map

but for you Lory - make those darn up-pipes priority one followed by the 4" exhaust - then decide what to do next.......

Old 09-23-2014, 04:29 PM
clux
Post Fiend
So turns out the guy with the 1.0 exhaust housing actually had a complete t444e turbo and non-ebpv pedestal, which for $200 I now own. He was calling it a core but there's no real shaft play and the wheel/turbine look good.

What do you guys know about the t444e turbo? Looks to be exactly like our 7.3 turbo except for the 1.0 turbine housing and non-ebpv, and a little blue paint.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:48 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Wow, sounds like it's time to lock & load and fire it up!

Pretty much what you were considering in your first post. 1.0 housing, EBPV Delete (I don't mind either one of mine gone), just see if the ported housing fits and your good to go.

Then you'll be ready for those 160's down the road if that's still on your options list.......

$200 - you can't beat that at all!

Old 09-23-2014, 10:02 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Yeah should make it easy to swap in.

How is it they managed to not have bad lag on a 190-220 horse t444e with this setup?

Quick Reply: 1.0 turbine housing/ported compressor?