Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Motorcraft made in china now too?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 05:13 PM
cuttn4fun
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Motorcraft made in china now too?

Well exactly 59 days ago I had my water pump fail. At that time I went and replaced it with a new one from O rielly and at that time I also repalced the tensioner, idler , belt and did a coolant flush. This morning the weep hole was crying. A large puddle under my truck and this one is leaking more than the last one I replaced. I said screw this, got my money back and went to the stealership. Got home with a $300 water pump that is 'motorcraft' on the box but made in china on the pump....REALLY???

Needless to say I was disappointed and I felt a bit sad to know that this pump only has a 2 year warranty and was twice the price of the orielly one with life time.... Me was thinking i would be a American made part or at least in the same hemisphere.

Rant over

Old 09-17-2014, 05:33 PM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's called reboxing, just about any metal is made in china, since Obama removed the import tax from china we are swamped with junk, there is no standards, no OSHA they dont use heliarc furnances, they still use oil, the mix of metal isn't done by a metalergis it's done by an 12 year old, we cant compete, the odds are against us. they give them the specs and thats all they care about not how the metal was mixed or how hot ect. as lang as they can cast them right we will buy them. We should have the pipeline done all ready, instead Canada is building it east to ship to china, we are the cleanest country in the world, go to China, India, Mexico and they keep closing us down, we are now the 3rd most powerful nation on earth.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:37 PM
greg_8507
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As automated everything is now for a some products i do not see the difference in quality from something mass produced in a factory in china or something mass produced in a factory in the US.

Don't get me wrong, there are some companies here in America that make top quality products and they really stand behind there products. But it seems many companies are falling in line with a level off mass production that matches that of china made products.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:47 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by greg_8507
As automated everything is now for a some products i do not see the difference in quality from something mass produced in a factory in china or something mass produced in a factory in the US.

Don't get me wrong, there are some companies here in America that make top quality products and they really stand behind there products. But it seems many companies are falling in line with a level off mass production that matches that of china made products.

have you purchased a alternator lately??

Old 09-17-2014, 07:51 PM
greg_8507
Elder User
Within the last 2 years I went through 2 auto zone starters. Within the last 6 months I have been through 2 auto zone alternators. I have 2 Ford dealers within about 30-45 minutes from my house. I had to drive 2 hours to a dealer that had either part I needed, unless I wanted to wait nearly a week to get motocraft parts locally.

I don't recall seeing any "made in" stickers on either part. But I have seen stores that will remove the " made in Korea" tag because they noticed customers putting it back on the shelf once they saw the tag.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:00 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't recall seeing any "made in" stickers on either part. But I have seen stores that will remove the " made in Korea" tag because they noticed customers putting it back on the shelf once they saw the tag.
I'm pretty sure that's illegal. I'm calling the mattress police on them!

Old 09-17-2014, 08:02 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
your right starters and electric fuel pumps have suffered also! cant find them to last to long.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:20 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
The time is right for a store selling quality American made stuff for those of us who are tired of paying 1/2 three times over for Chinese made junk.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
if you buy chinese or tiawan or korean or any of them other, make sure you get lifetime warrenty from the parts store. you will need it.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:30 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Not necessarily true. Automated factories produce items to a specification. You can produce unreliable junk in an automated factory just as easy as you can produce good stuff. Perhaps even easier. Definitely cheaper.

I read a recent study on Chinese tires. They compared cheap chinese brands to US name brand tires that were also made in china. The chinese tires were spec'd to be cheaper, and they tested the worst.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:32 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
they just replace the good metal with cheap crap at the chinese plants. it looks like the real deal, but is far inferior.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:38 PM
cuttn4fun
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just wonder how long the chinaman ford pump last? If it goes out as quick as the last one I am telling ford I want a refund and go back with the 100 dollar one. I think it is sad to see these days that you cant even have the option for the high dollar part to be made in USA. pisses me off.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:39 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The plants make products to certain specs. When something is spec'd to be as cheap as possible, it doesn't really matter where it's made; it will still be a cheap piece of crap. The difference is that Chinese factories can produce cheap pieces of crap even cheaper than US factories can produce cheap pieces of crap.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:50 PM
greg_8507
Elder User
Originally Posted by F350-6
Not necessarily true. Automated factories produce items to a specification. You can produce unreliable junk in an automated factory just as easy as you can produce good stuff. Perhaps even easier. Definitely cheaper.

I read a recent study on Chinese tires. They compared cheap chinese brands to US name brand tires that were also made in china. The chinese tires were spec'd to be cheaper, and they tested the worst.
That maybe. But it looks to me more companies are boasting American made on there products as a sell point when then the product quality might as well be made somewhere in Asia. The number of companies that still puts out a product that is what we expect for "American Made" seems to be thinning.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Pikachu
The plants make products to certain specs. When something is spec'd to be as cheap as possible, it doesn't really matter where it's made; it will still be a cheap piece of crap. The difference is that Chinese factories can produce cheap pieces of crap even cheaper than US factories can produce cheap pieces of crap.
I agree with the concept but experience tells me that there is a higher probability that it will be junk if it has "Made in China" stamped on it.

Quick Reply: Motorcraft made in china now too?