S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

How did this van get non-commercial vehicle license plates?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 01:52 PM
carguy99
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did this van get non-commercial vehicle license plates?!

Hi everybody,

Have you seen this "2 Maids Cleaning" vans all over Los Angeles? There are about 40 of them. They are all massive commercial vans (Ford Econolines, Dodge Ram Vans etc.) yet all have non-commercial plates.

Who can solve the mystery on how the owner gets these plates?! I'm baffled.

Here are photos of one and the sign he has posted on the front windshield.

Photo showing non-commercial plate (1 number + 3 letters + 3 numbers)

Full profile of van

This sign is taped to the front windshield about the non-commercial status

Old 09-16-2014, 08:28 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is a fraudelent ticket? Fraudulent maybe?
Do Police Officers write bogus tickets?
What the heck? More to this story.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:02 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm not aware of any law that makes vans commercial by default like we have with pickups.

What baffles me is that you are surprised that there are unsavory people operating less than legitimate business in LA.

I've seen ambulances with more serious infractions. (Improper licensing, missing/nonfunctional equipment, etc)

So on paper it might be okay, but to any common-sense-wielding individual it is clearly a commercial van. That note in the window would just make me write the ticket, plus any others I could find for the vehicle.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:03 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 120 Likes on 116 Posts
Looks like a commercial van to me. Maybe they have a relative in the DOT who De-commercialized the vans.

Jim

Old 09-17-2014, 01:26 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Looks like a commercial van to me. Maybe they have a relative in the DOT who De-commercialized the vans.

Jim
Is there a law requiring commercial vans to register commercial, like how pickups have to?

I'm only aware of the requirement for pickups.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:30 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

I don't know of any law that requires vans to be registered as commercial vehicles, but I would guess there is, since they saw fit to put that notice on the window.

Jim

Old 09-17-2014, 04:41 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by Nighteyez
I don't know of any law that requires vans to be registered as commercial vehicles, but I would guess there is, since they saw fit to put that notice on the window.

Jim
Maybe maybe not. That vehicle is clearly commercial, so it would need commercial plates, regardless of the exiatance of a law, so that could be the reason for the note.

I am operating under the assumption the note itself is fraudulent.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:28 PM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
don't take it the wrong way, but i am a little skeptical about this first post....

anyways no work today so i spent some time poking around CA DMV while in front of the AC . i found some info, now i am not stating im 100% correct.

Vehicle Definitions

Vehicle Definitions

An "automobile" is a passenger vehicle that does not transport persons for hire. This includes station wagons, sedans, vans, and sport utility vehicles.

A "commercial vehicle" is a vehicle which is used or maintained for the transportation of persons for hire, compensation, or profit or designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property (for example, trucks and pickups)

are particular subject van does not look like its transporting people for hire....

are particular subject van does not look like its transporting persons for hire, compensation, or profit..... nor does it look like its maintained primarily to transport property....

i would agree with it being a "automobile"

now im not 100% sure how relevant this part is but the van in particular looks to be a half ton MAYBE a 3/4 ton..... there unladen weight is usually less than 8,000lbs.

so this section looks fitting:
Registering Commercial Vehicles and PTI Trailers FFVR 27

Registering Commercial Vehicles and PTI Trailers FFVR 27

Vehicles NOT Affected

• Light-weight trucks and vans, if the declared GVW or CGW is 10,000 lbs. or less.
GVW and CGW Definitions

Declared GVW is the weight that equals the total unladen weight of the vehicle plus the heaviest load that will be transported on the vehicle.
Declared CGW is the total unladen weight of the combination of vehicles (motor vehicle and trailer) plus the heaviest load that will be transported by that combination.

so in my closing, i think the van in particular is registered properly according the definitions listed. the vehicle in said pictures, it is not transporting property or people. don't fully understand what the fuss is all about

on a side story, the church i live next too they have 2 Ford Econolines and both are registered with "automobile" plates.... now granted they do not transport people for hire, compensation, or profit.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:13 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

I thought about that too. Wasn't sure what the definition was. I know if you transport people for hire its commercial, or if you move things, but given this is clearly a commercially operated vehicle I wasn't sure.

Example: many fleet vehicles are commercially registered.

And all pickups. (Edit) by default.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:45 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would rather have a commercial plate. Granted, registration is more expensive, but even in my truck i parked in the "Commercial Loading and Unloading" zones for free.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:43 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

I do the same (although I dont think I would RATHER have the commercial plate).

I wonder if anyone actually thinks my truck is commercial when deciding whether or not to cite me for being in that parking spot.

There were a few LOADING UNLOADING zones downtown Ventura at ends of rows of metered spots. I kinda just treated them as free game for quick stops into get coffee.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:50 PM
carguy99
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My understanding is that all vans like this (Econolines etc.) are registered as commercial by default. To change it to registration as an "auto" (non-commercial), a van must be customized for human habitation (conversion van style - raised roof, RV type amenities like running water, etc.).

These vans clearly are not conversion vans. Any more insight?

Here is the DMV info regarding converting to non-commercial:

"How to Change from Commercial License Plates to Auto License Plates Check List

If you have a station wagon, pickup with a camper permanently attached, a van modified for human habitation, or a multipurpose vehicle you can change from commercial plates to auto plates. The requirements are:

California Certificate of Title (Pink Slip).

A completed Certification of Vehicle for Human Habitation (REG 256A).

The commercial license plates on the vehicle."

Old 09-18-2014, 02:27 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Looks to me like someone just made up a sign. Carguy99, why don't you call the DOT and ask for Sergeant Biven? I'll bet they will hang up on you as a crank call, but if not, at least you can ask the dear Sgt what gives.

But I think it is just a sign some moron made up hoping to evade LEO. Which is pretty moronic, since all it does is attract attention to the obviously incorrect registration.

But hey, it's a free country. You can make signs saying anything you want.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:53 PM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by carguy99
My understanding is that all vans like this (Econolines etc.) are registered as commercial by default.
i see a lot of Toyota's, Chrysler, ford vans with regular auto plates? as mater fact im looking at 5 vans right outside my window..... bench seats and everything and they all got auto plates on them...

before the cash for clunkers program i saw ford aerostars and windstars ALL THE TIME! with regular auto plates! when i saw them with commercial plates they were to USPS, Fedex, UPS,etc......

Old 09-18-2014, 06:31 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Well, they are obviously being used for a business, so that would make them commercial vehicles in my humble opinion.

Jim

Quick Reply: How did this van get non-commercial vehicle license plates?!