1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 5.4 with issues...worth fixing, rebuilding OR new truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 01:03 PM
rayrayyj
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 5.4 with issues...worth fixing, rebuilding OR new truck

Love this truck (2003 crew 4X4), but the head gasket is shot, manifolds need to be replaced...so at this point it seems like the best option would be to pull to motor (oh yeah, the transmission was spitting a bit of fluid after a long mountain tow...but think that is ok now).

So my thoughts/options:

1. Pull motor and trans and rebuild - interior/exterior great, so just rebuild the major components and have a solid camping/hauling truck for another 10 years - don't need anything bigger, not hauling anything major.

2. Pull motor and replace (Jasper, enginesdirect, etc)...unless there is an easy bolt in swap - just seems like there are so many issues with the 5.4 (spark plugs, manifold, head gasket, cam phaser, etc) that I'm not sure it's worth rebuilding (Jasper actually has Ford Triton remans as the main page and I can only assume it's because there's a big demand for them!).

3. Sell truck and buy something else.

I know there's nothing out there without problems, but is it worth dumping in the time and money on this 5.4?

It's been a good truck, great size, great cab, does everything I need...what would you do????

And no, I'm not up for doing some major engine swap...been there, done that on my wrangler, I want something done in time for snowmobiling in November.

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Old 09-16-2014, 01:47 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 986 Likes on 760 Posts
you asked what I would do...would not invest 3000 into it...would sell it as a project truck and take the 3K and what ever I got in the sale and buy a newer truck.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:58 PM
Modularation
Senior User
How much can you find an used engine for?

Old 09-16-2014, 02:07 PM
rayrayyj
Junior User
problem I see with taking 3K plus the money from selling the truck is I don't think it will get me something that much better/newer! Call it $8K-$10K (10K means I put extra cash in), anything newer will have some miles and who knows about engine/tranny...I at least know how this truck has been treated.

Used engine - same issue, get a used 5.4 and when will the manifold bolts go, head gasket, cam phaser, etc.??? Used around 1500-2000 based on a quick internet search. At which point, why not rebuild mine?

Hence I'm asking...I don't see an easy option here or cheap!

Thanks for the replies.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:02 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just did a Ford re-man that has a 3 year-unlimited miles out the door for $7200; $4200 for the engine and $2,000 for the install. That was for a 2008 V-10 6.8. If the truck body and parts are good, I think it's a good investment. Your only real worry is still your tranny which could be another $2500-3500 if it goes south. My tranny is a Torqueshift and a good one.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:35 PM
Modularation
Senior User
What are your head gaskets leaking? If you can find a lower priced used engine the manifold bolts could be replaced easier while the engine is out. No phasers on this year engine. If your heads need replacing it will be expensive.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:27 AM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
Why don't you just replace the leaking head gasket and manifold? That doesn't require a total rebuild. Put a 6.0L style trans cooler to help with the long pulls, and just drive the truck. It sounds like you're making the issue much larger that it needs to be.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:46 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by redford
Why don't you just replace the leaking head gasket and manifold? That doesn't require a total rebuild. Put a 6.0L style trans cooler to help with the long pulls, and just drive the truck. It sounds like you're making the issue much larger that it needs to be.
^^this^^

going down the road you are on is how i ended up with $4,000 into a thunderbird that was worth about $800.

now in my defense, i sank that much money into it over a period of time... but that is where this road leads.

just fix what's wrong and worry about the rest if/when it happens. unless you are just looking for a project, just keep it simple and fix what is wrong.

what makes you think that everything needs rebuilt?

playing the "while i was at it" game gets very expensive, as you can easily see.

all of that being said, i wouldn't feel bad about tearing both heads off and sending them in to get a valve job while i replace both head gaskets. but resist the urge to replace things that don't obviously need replacing. have your machinist check everything out on the heads and follow his advice.

as hard as it is, that's what i'd (try to) do.

then take some of the extra money and buy a good set of headers and stainless locking fasteners

Old 09-17-2014, 07:03 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Listen to Mike and Stuart.

Nothing in your original post suggests that your truck is dead. It's very common for the front transmission seal to leak when it gets too hot. That means you need more transmission cooling, but it doesn't mean anything needs to be fixed. Most of the time it will seal back up just fine and not give you more issues. So don't worry about that unless it happens again. And get some more transmission cooling before you do that again.

Head gaskets aren't a quick job, and I think you're right about it being easier to pull the engine to do them. But why would you rebuild? Repair the headgasket, replace the manifold, and put the engine back in. Total cost for parts would only be a few hundred, and if you hire a mechanic labor should be around $1,000 depending on where you are and who you have do the job.

There's no reason to junk this truck or get drastic with your repairs. Fix what's broken and continue on down the road.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:03 AM
brd7666
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The OP never said how many miles are on the motor. I can see why he would want to rebuild the whole motor. If rebuilt properly, it should last another 200,000 miles or more. If the rest of the truck is in good shape, it would be a lot less money to put out, verses buying a newer truck. Heck, I don't know how people can afford these new Super Duty's.

Then there is the old saying, "If it isn't broke, don't fix it". That is really a good saying. It would definitely be the cheapest way to go in this case. Just fix the problems it currently has, and drive it. I don't know how many miles are on the truck, but this is what I would do. Pulling the motor would be up to you, but it can be fixed without puling the motor. But then you might say, if you only fix what is wrong, what will break next? Well, you really can't say. You can take two identical parts, and one will last 300,000 miles, and the other 20,000 miles.

So, what should you do? Fix the current issues and drive it. Even if you only get another 100,000 miles out of it, it will be worth it.

And, here is another saying for you. "Patience is a virtue". The reason I said that is because if you wanted to, you could keep your eyes open for that good deal that does come along on occasions. You would not be pressured into buying another truck. If you did find that good deal, you could then buy it, sell you truck in running condition, and get back more of your money. Just a thought.

Good luck.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:43 AM
rayrayyj
Junior User
You guys are right on the money...just needed to hear someone else say I'm getting way to ahead of myself with this!

My only real reason for pulling the engine is ease of access for doing the manifolds and head gasket...then thought...well hell, if I've got it out why not rebuild?!

But agree 100%, truck is worth way more to me than anyone else and yes, a new super duty up here in BC has an insane sticker price.

So, with that said, from anyone who has done the manifolds and/or heads...would you bother pulling the engine or just go at it as is?

I already have doorman replacement manifolds, gaskets, stainless hardware, etc.

Thanks all!

Old 09-17-2014, 04:17 PM
jesse5
Senior User
I guess you do not care to state if it is leaking oil, coolant, and/or compression internally or externally? A small amount of coolant in the crankcase pits the bearings.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:26 PM
rayrayyj
Junior User
Hey Jesse,

It appears to be leaking oil, that is pretty easy to see..

However, I do seem to be loosing coolant and my coolant has some junk in it too, gas smell, but not sure if coolant is leaking from the head gasket.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:15 PM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
OK, fix the head gasket, replace the intake manifold, install a 6.0L transmission cooler and change the oil.