Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

helloo wondering if I can hind some help

Old 09-16-2014, 10:40 AM
CharlaineC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
helloo wondering if I can hind some help

Ok so here is the issue. I'm in major need to fix my exhaust manifolds asap. I started Pearl my 1969 f250 camper special last night while i was doing something and could see the sparks clearly all the way around. I know I need to replace the gaskets on both sides, but before I can do that I need to remove three snapped bolts from the engine where the exhaust manifolds attached. The engine is the 360.

So I'm wondering if there might be a member near Spokane Washington who might be able to help.

Thank you for all the help.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:27 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Truck, engine and more information may help.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:56 AM
CharlaineC
Senior User
Sorry

Oh sorry thought I put that in. Thanks for pointing it out.

Pearls a 1969 ford f250 camper special custom cab.
360ci v8 with auto tranny

Old 09-17-2014, 08:27 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You could try checking the Members Map in the chapter then send the people closer to you a PM.

If you want to tackle it yourself you can start soaking the broken bolts with a Penatrent like PB Blaster when the engine is warm, do that for a week and it should help them come out. Can give you more directions if you like.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:07 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
PMing members is a good idea but there are a lot of members on the map who don't really get on anymore. I'm in the same boat as Odd, besides, once you get them out its a pretty darn good feeling.

As far as parts go, getting tools shouldn't be terribly expensive. If you've got a local auto parts store, Sears, Lowe's etc. They normally have stuff.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:02 AM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Also try asking this in the 67-72 page as the state chapters get a lot less activity than the body style specific sections.

I would get a can of PB Blaster and after every time you drive the truck spray ALL the manifold bolts, broken and whole. Don't forget the Manifold-Collector bolts also. When the time comes your can is empty then I usually try to clean the bolts/nuts up with a wire wheel on a grinder and a wire brush on the ones I can't reach with the grinder.

Buy new ones to replace ALL the bolts/studs/nuts. I prefer Studs over bolts but that's just me.

Then say a little prayer and start removing the bolts/nuts hoping more don't break.

After you have them off then use the grinder/wire wheel again to clean up where the broken ones go into the heads as the rust actually helps hold them in there. If there is enough sticking out then try to use a Stud Removal Tool, Pipe Wrench or good Vise Grips as tight as you can clamp them and try to remove them. If not enough sticking out then put a grinding wheel on the grinder or use a coarse flat file and grind the small amount sticking out so it's "square" with the head. Use a Center Punch and give it a good whack with a hammer so the impression will "capture" the drill bit. Then use a drill and a bit roughly 1/3-to-1/2 the diameter of the bolt and drill in as straight as possible about 1/2". Increase the size of the bit and repeat, do this until you have gotten to around 3/4 the diameter of the bolt. Put in an Easy Out and try to remove, praying the Easy Out doesn't snap.

We'll be optimistic and say they all came out after all this. Find a Tap the correct size for the bolt threads and run it into EVERY hole in order to get them all cleaned out.

Inspect the manifolds for any cracks. Clean up the head and manifold's gasket surface very well.

Install with new gaskets and hardware.

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2014, 05:44 PM
Capt'n Phillips
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oddford gave you great advice on tackling those stud extractions. I too have done my fair share over the years and I'd like to add a small tid bit if I can. Generally speaking, when it comes to "easy out's", there are two types. The square shank style and the spiral style. More than once I've broken the square style off in the stud I was extracting. This is a serious "fail" since easy out's are made of hardened steel and don't generally drill out. I'd recommend the spiral type if you have a choice. Far less likely to snap off in the hole. My two cents worth for what it's worth. Good luck!
Capt'n

Old 09-24-2014, 01:53 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Nice mini write up John . Luckily the PO for my 78 bronco never tightened bolts so my manifold bolts were all loose...

Old 09-24-2014, 02:27 AM
CharlaineC
Senior User
Over the years I learned the best rust eater was a solution of 1 part pure acetone to 1 part ATF fluid. It's worked on my bike and on my old car. So I'll be soaking them starting tomorrow then hopefully once I get them of i can than pull the heads and resurface the faces to ensure a smooth fit. I have a few good tools at my disposal. If I need to I can trade a cpl old chain saws to have the work done. As well. Have been searching for the stud and nut sets and that not had any luck at all. It's frustrating. Will bee picking up high temp thread protector as well Incase I have to go back to bolts. If I do I'm hoping to get a good set. That's my project this week and into next.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:03 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Just take one of the bolts to the hardware store and get studs by matching things up. Remember to get them Longer than the bolts so there's enough sticking out for nuts, I like the nuts that have the molded flare with the little "biter" surface on it so you don't need nuts and lock washers. Do not get Nylock nuts as the nylon with melt out of them.

If you're going to pull the heads also, are you interested in an aluminum intake? Happen to have an Edelbrock Performer for an FE motor and a couple carbs.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:19 AM
fuzzybob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Charlaine, If you can bring your truck by the shop on Wednesday, Oct. 8th, I'll take a look and see if I can give you a hand. I'll PM you the directions. If this won't work let me know. Fuzzy

Old 10-03-2014, 12:14 PM
CharlaineC
Senior User
Fuzzy thank you. I'll see what I can do. Haven't been taking her off the ranch do fear of something happening. Might have someone helping me this weekend. If he can't I'll bring her in. Thank you again.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:02 AM
CharlaineC
Senior User
well the person helping me has been battling an illness and a death in the family. We did get the manifolds off but the two bolts are still waiting to be extracted. thankfully they are on the top and right in front but i don't know what to do. ans as I look outside right now its snowing.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:11 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by CharlaineC
well the person helping me has been battling an illness and a death in the family. We did get the manifolds off but the two bolts are still waiting to be extracted. thankfully they are on the top and right in front but i don't know what to do. ans as I look outside right now its snowing.
Snow isn't going to help much... got a garage or shop to park in? Maybe just a tent or something?

There are many YouTube videos that might help you figure out where to start. If anything it will give you some knowledge so if someone is able to come and help it can go faster. I wish you the best of luck!

Old 11-23-2014, 10:37 PM
CharlaineC
Senior User
Finally got the bolts drilled out. and am really happy about that but found that I need to get a different set of gaskets because the steel ones are not sealing. even though there nice and flat and not cracked. might have to machine them but just cant afford them. Ordering a set of Remflex gaskets on the first that should solve it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: helloo wondering if I can hind some help