1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Zf-5speed oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 07:02 AM
dieselsubmariner
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zf-5speed oil

Just a quick question: would you prefer the Amsoil synchromesh or just plain on detergent 30w oil for my ZF?
I can get the shell 30w nd locally. I'm not happy with the synthetic Mobil oil in my tranny.
Thanks for any help

Old 09-16-2014, 07:20 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For some reason my ford service book says the 5-speed ZF-S5 calls for 6.8 quarts of mercon XT-2-QDX or DDX? The 93 and earlier is calling for 30 weight.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:26 AM
dieselsubmariner
Elder User
It's 6.8 pint if I'm not mistaken.
Ford calls for the synthetic ATF ... It's just not working out ..that's while I I ask for an alternative.
Thanks

Old 09-16-2014, 07:30 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
i believe the quantity is 3.5 quarts or thereabouts, but everyone just fills it to 4 to try to help with gear rollover. the manual definitely does call for synthetic ATF for ZF5's behind diesels, though.

for what its worth, i run Mobil 1 synthetic ATF and have had no problems with it.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:53 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I'm running Valvoline synthetic ATF in mine and it runs and shifts like a dream. I've heard some really mixed reviews about the Syncromesh fluid. Some guys swear by it and others say it's not a good idea. For the price, I didn't feel like taking the gamble.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:17 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dieselsubmariner
It's 6.8 pint if I'm not mistaken.
Ford calls for the synthetic ATF ... It's just not working out ..that's while I I ask for an alternative.
Thanks
I would not run 30 weight, I get your idea of the heavier fluid sticking around better but it would also slow down the syncro's you might get a grind on a down shift or up shift The tolerances of these things now are so tight, not like the old days were they built them sloppy, you can run em dry for a week and not have a problem, now that would destroy a trans, experimenting never hurts, as long as you dont push the over the line. Like the president, dont cross this line, OK dont cross this one. Now this one. What a joke.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:28 AM
dieselsubmariner
Elder User
Lol...
Maybe I got to run redline then...

Anyway my problems are currently related to synchronizer and lots of noise .And it got worse when I filled the zf with the ford recommended ATF oil . I was hoping something else might help till I rebuild. After reading lots of posts it appears people use 30 w and the amsoil with different result.... This surely can get confusing :-)

Old 09-16-2014, 11:10 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
I am one of those who does not swear by the sychromesh. 4 quarts of 20$ a qt royal purple synchromesh in my ZF ran ridiculously hot, I highly doubt anyone has a trans temp gauge in their ZF but I decided to plumb on in, and seeing 260* on hard pulls blew me out of the water. I replaced it once thinking it was broken/misreading…it was not.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:17 AM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
So what do you run now?

Old 09-17-2014, 06:52 AM
dieselsubmariner
Elder User
Ok thanks for the info so far.
I spend some time and went onto the zf webpage . Under downloads I pulled up the lube oil PDF and checked for the S5-42 transmission . The lubricant class comes up with 02B.
Further down in the document they list the vendors and they approved oil and the zf approval number.
According to this list, there are quiet a few 75w80 oils as well as the ATF approved.

Did anybody else looked at this before ?

Old 09-17-2014, 08:31 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^^ Can you send a link? Does it differentiate between the tranny's use whether it's behind a gas or diesel engine? The plate on the tranny itself specifies synthetic ATF.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:04 AM
dieselsubmariner
Elder User
Not sure how to get it linked through my phone,but the document is at www.zf.com/lubricants

Under manuals I downloaded the PDF te-ml 02 which is for light truck and commercial applications.
I emailed zf about what truck and transmission I have and they replied I can use any fluid listed in the lubricant list on the document for this transmission . There reply :" you can use any oil according to 02B / 02E / 02F / 02L "

Old 09-17-2014, 10:43 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^^^ Direct link - http://www.zf.com/media/media/en/doc...s/TE-ML_02.pdf . LOTS of products mentioned, but nothing specific about diesel application. Page 7 provides some good info about temperature ranges (Note: it's in degrees C). Most notably:
In moderate climate zones, shift quality of non-automated transmissions is impaired when using the lubrication classes 02B / 02H.
I also found these two:
http://www.zf.com/media/media/docume...nsmissions.pdf (for the S5-42)
http://www.zf.com/media/media/docume...nsmissions.pdf (for the S5-47)
They have specifics about running behind a diesel.

My own experience with Mobil 1 ATF has been less than stellar. Fine and smooth in warm weather, but, to use their term, "impaired" in cold. Next fill will be TranSynd, since it's mentioned in both the above documents, and from what I've read about its use in other manual trannies that take ATF like ours.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:06 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by madpogue
My own experience with Mobil 1 ATF has been less than stellar. Fine and smooth in warm weather, but, to use their term, "impaired" in cold. Next fill will be TranSynd, since it's mentioned in both the above documents, and from what I've read about its use in other manual trannies that take ATF like ours.
i have to agree - its a bit tough going into gear on a cold tranny in the winter. my pops was involved with the original Mobil 1 oil development project, so i'm pretty well committed for life, though :-)

that said, please post how that TranSynd works out - i'm not opposed to swapping fluid and destroying the evidence before my dad's next visit if it means less wear and tear on my truck!

Old 09-18-2014, 09:30 AM
dieselsubmariner
Elder User
Well . Got another email from zf and after describing them my problems they recommend ZF EcoFluid M .
Now I'm just trying to find it somewhere so I can try it :-)

Quick Reply: Zf-5speed oil