Sponsored by: Moser

Howdy

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 12:51 AM
Resto4Dad
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howdy

Hey all! New Member here trying to navigate the site and get connected!
Im working on starting a resto on my "new" 79 F150. My dad drove a 78 and Im working this project to honor him and all he taught me. Its gonna be a slow ride, as this truck is also my daily driver, but shes solid and fairly straight and has a new 302 under the hood! I cant wait to start turning wrenches but I really need you guys! I havnt done any of this since I was a kid helping my dad, and hes had a stroke and cant help me anymore.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:01 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to F T E ,you'v come to the right forum to discuss Ford trucks . 302s are pretty good little engines , i put one in my 73 F-100 in place of the FE 360 . I have use most of Fords V/8 engines over the years in different trucks , still like the 302. My favorite engine was the 460 but it was always hungry . Hang around and tell us your plans for the 79 .____JIM

Old 09-16-2014, 06:28 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
Welcome to FTE, sorry to hear about your father.

I'd start off by getting a Chilton or Hanes repair manual, they cover the basics. Or a set of Ford Repair Manuals on CD, great investment.

Join your state chapter yet? Washington Chapter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums great way to get instate help and maybe some info on parts?

You could of added this intro to your 1st problem thread, but it's all good.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:02 PM
OldMetal
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome aboard, I look forward to hearing more about you new truck

Old 09-16-2014, 05:38 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Welcome
Most of the folks here go out of there way to be helpful.
Damn fine bunch o' dudes.
Try to figure out how to post some pics.
It's not to tough.
We love our truck ****.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:43 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Welcome. I live in Lacey and my shop is in Marysville so I drive past you on a regular basis.

If you don't have any books/manuals on these trucks let me know as I have extras, grab them any time I see them at a 2nd hand store cheap.

What are your plans for the truck? What parts do you need/want?

Follow the link 77&79F250 was nice enough to throw up for you and get to know us in the Wa chapter, we try to have a meet once a month.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:15 PM
Resto4Dad
Freshman User
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
Welcome. I live in Lacey and my shop is in Marysville so I drive past you on a regular basis.

If you don't have any books/manuals on these trucks let me know as I have extras, grab them any time I see them at a 2nd hand store cheap.

What are your plans for the truck? What parts do you need/want?

Follow the link 77&79F250 was nice enough to throw up for you and get to know us in the Wa chapter, we try to have a meet once a month.
Thanks all for the welcome! Its nice to see the interest and encouragement!
77&79F250, Ill definately be checking into the Washington Chapter!
oddfordjunkie, I do not currently have a manual for the truck, I looked at all the local parts houses and no luck I was about to order one. Ill try and post some pics tonight. I culdnt figure it out last night! I bad with these new fangled typing machines and the interwebs! Im planning to restore the truck to represent a mix of the 78 that my dad drove and my style. first thing on the list is power steering which I hope to get all the parts for by the weekend. Then a bit of brake tune up. after that it should be mostly body work paint and trim. All new interior, all new cab and glass rubber, the whole nine!

Old 09-16-2014, 11:00 PM
Resto4Dad
Freshman User
Heres a few pics of the blue baby.!

Old 09-17-2014, 01:00 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
Restore what, not the truck in the pics, that thing is ready to ride, looks good.

Clean up those loose red/yellow wires a bit and cruise it.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:05 AM
Resto4Dad
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Restore what, not the truck in the pics, that thing is ready to ride, looks good.

Clean up those loose red/yellow wires a bit and cruise it.
Thats the plan for now. Im just gonna do things one piece at a time. shes i good shape just gotta iron out some small issues. eventually id like her to be all done up as new as possible like my pops old 78 (see pic) except with the cream color on top of the body line and the orange below, no two tone stripe. With cream and black interior.

Dads old 78. Picture taken in about 86.This is the template for my restoration.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:53 AM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Well, whatever you need help locating just let me know. Next time I'm up at my shop I'll see what books I have that are extra copies.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:43 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Dang, if my truck looked as good as "baby blue" i would call it done. Most of my trucks in the past were some shade of blue , now i have the red one that still needs lots of work.____JIM

Old 09-17-2014, 08:04 AM
turbohunter
Postmaster
That thing is right.
Just a little elbow grease and engine room tidying and you're ready to rock.
Good luck with it.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:28 AM
Beedub109r
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome

I was stationed at Lewis for years. I know your area well. I lived in Lacey. The trucks up there are pretty solid for the most part. No salt on the roads helps with that. Your rig looks great and the fact that you want to pay respect to your father by cloning his truck is awesome.
The people on this forum rock. They will help with real-world solutions to your issues. I joined this year as well and have learned tons of valuable info. My only advice is to ask for help when you need it and don't get in a hurry. You have a solid rig so you are at a great starting point.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:52 AM
Resto4Dad
Freshman User
Thanks for all the support guys! Its awesome to find like minded folks out there. stopped in and got all the fluids and filters, and ordered all my power steering parts. This weekend shell have fresh fluids and a clean engine bay as long as the wife doesnt come up with another plan! picked up a Haynes manual to start re-familiarizing myself with whats what.
oddfordjunkie, Id still be interested in having a chilton manual if youve got a spare lying around. None of the shops seem to have it in stock. Im also in need of a mounting bracket for power steering pump. No one sells just the bracket? only crazy aftermarket kits with a bunch of chrome **** for hundreds of dollars...

Quick Reply: Howdy