General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

RANT - GEICO Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 11:27 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
I have progressive right now hoping to switch to USAA here soon once my grandfathers military information gets taken care of.

hope you can find another carrier that takes care of you correctly.

look here from their website.

Attached Images  
Old 09-15-2014, 11:34 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Skip1970
look here from their website.
Well aware of what is needed. We had to get a DD214 (waiting on it to be processed) for my grandpa along with some military records. He's never taken advantage of any of the military benefits since serving in the Korean war.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:27 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by holeshotwalt
Rob-
You should call and talk to a supervisor or higher- it sounds like you got an idiot who's making decisions for the company that aren't in the company's best interest. If you want to stay with Geico, you should question this decision... they should value your 10 years patronage more than this! Good luck.
That info is coming from the manager over their underwriting section...

Old 09-18-2014, 02:19 PM
Vijay
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I switched out of Geico and saved a ton of money

Welcome to the Club:
I had a similar cancellation issue with Geico. When I bought my truck 8 years ago, Geico asked me to go to their preferred car rental place to get my truck inspected(since it was a dually). In 2011 I had a front Hub issue and my truck needed repair in Reno, NV. I called insurance and asked for a tow to the nearest truck shop (5 miles away). They did that and called me the following week stating cancellation of the policy!!!when asked for a reason, they said they were not aware that the truck was a dually and all dually trucks are considered commercial.

I switched to AAA and SAVED 25% annually...

Old 09-18-2014, 02:45 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
funny how that works when you need somthing huh.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:25 PM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts
Moved from tech forum

Old 09-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Annnnnnnnd it took me 30 minutes. USAA all the way baby! I'll be swapping my home owners insurance over from Geico in the coming weeks as well

Not 15 minutes to save 15% or more like Geico but 30 minutes to save 35% and also open up my checking account Totally worth it! I've been putting it off for so long and finally this thread popped up and I said screw it. Thanks for the rant! Reps sent

Old 09-19-2014, 12:01 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My wife and I had Geico car insurance for years, after Progressive screwed us over... We never had a problem with Geico.

However, Geico has issues with providing coverage to split households - particularly if that split happens in 2 different states - In this case, Idaho and Oregon...

The lowest quote I received was from Allstate so, I now have Allstate insurance on the Ranger... Their quote was significantly lower than any of the other insurance companies I've tried, including Geico and Progressive. I didn't try USAA - they'd probably turn me down anyway...

Old 09-19-2014, 12:42 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Furyus1
I didn't try USAA - they'd probably turn me down anyway...
If you are military, then you would qualify. You may not like the rates, but I doubt they would turn you down. I do know that I pay more than some of the other providers, but I know the quality of service that USAA provides, and I am willing to pay a little more for the peace of mind, rather than saving a few dollars, and then have the run around later...

Just my two cents.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
USAA has an excellent app for their services too. It's not just a warmed over non-functional "mobile" webpage like so many other sites, other apps are a joke.They had the check deposit feature long before anyone else afaik. Their board of directors and CEO is retired .mil folks and the no nonsense philosophy seems to run through the company. You can tell by the caliber of the people they hire for one thing, and they seem to take their job seriously. These days that's saying something.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:39 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
What does USAA say about using your POV as an emergency vehicle?

I think that's a no-no with most insurance companies.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:23 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Nobody is going to cover that in a standard auto policy? Maybe there's a volunteer firefighter organization that has a group rate deal setup, maybe pretty cheap.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:43 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
And I've been with USAA since.....Oh.....1981. So I'm not taking a shot at them.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:10 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cmpd1781
What does USAA say about using your POV as an emergency vehicle?

I think that's a no-no with most insurance companies.
Define "most insurance companies". I received quotes from AAA and State Farm, both said it didn't make any sense to not cover it - it's no different than any other trailer you tow...they won't cover the physical trailer, but they cover the liability of say the trailer coming off the truck, backing it into another vehicle, etc.

The City covers the trailer and contents (and as I'm finding out now the truck as well when the two are connected), the auto insurance of the tow vehicle covers the liability of the trailer. Per all three companies in question that's standard, but for some reason GEICO has an issue with the trailer being owned by a municipality.

Liability is no different than towing a U-Haul or boat or whatever, but GEICO has decided to be jerks about it, so off to AAA I go.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:12 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
...they won't cover the physical trailer,
I'm gonna have to check with my AAA agent again, but back when I bought my travel-trailer, they told me it would be covered when hooked to any of my vehicles.

Stewart

Quick Reply: RANT - GEICO Insurance