1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breaking A/C Hoses

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 09:57 PM
JCare
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breaking A/C Hoses

My F350, V10 has just broken the second discharge hose at the compressor within a two month time span. The break is at the bend just before the aluminum block that goes into the compressor. Looking at it from on top of the engine, the crack is on top of the hose.

I obviously have something else going. The shop has looked to see if I have a broken engine mount and have side to side movement, but there wasn't any. They did notice the engine and transmission seemed to move forward a little when they would accelerate with the brake depressed, but other than that, are at a loss as to what could be causing this.

Both times this happened, I have been on the interstate for at least the past hour, pulling a 12', single axle enclosed trailer, with no more than 3000lbs max in the trailer, so in my mind, no real weight. I had not driven the truck much between the time I had the first one fixed and the second time it happened.

The shop has spent some time on two different occasions looking to possibilities, but at this point we are clueless. Fortunately, the local dealership gave them another hose to replace it, but I'd like to figure it out before I break another hose. Any thoughts?

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 09-15-2014, 05:53 AM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
Originally Posted by JCare
......They did notice the engine and transmission seemed to move forward a little when they would accelerate with the brake depressed........
I would focus on that. The engine seems to be moving in relation to the frame, which is causing your hose to eventually crack.

Verify your motor mounts are in good condition and tight, plus your transmission cross member and mounts.

The other option is that the hose was damaged during install.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:18 AM
JCare
Freshman User
Stuart, the thing that perplexes me is that the a/c line has a loop in it that would allow slack for forward movement, and the crack line is parallel with that movement, which to me it should be perpendicular to the movement. I agree that something may have happened on the install, but its the exact same crack as what happened last time, and I doubt I ran a whole tank of gas between the time it was replaced and the time it broke again.

That is what is so perplexing. We have discussed replacing the hose again, recharging the system and look at the system while its operating to see if we might find some movement or a cause there. I had them replace the dryer at their suggestion last time, but with the cost of the parts, its hard to keep replacing and trying to troubleshoot it.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:08 AM
Ddsutton
New User
2010 F250 5.4

My 2010 f250 5.4 is doing the same thing! On my 4th hose in less than 3 weeks. Mounts are fine per dealership. Can't figure this out. Compressor is fine too no movement from it. Any fixes or remedies so far?

Old 06-30-2015, 08:51 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ddsutton
My 2010 f250 5.4 is doing the same thing! On my 4th hose in less than 3 weeks. Mounts are fine per dealership. Can't figure this out. Compressor is fine too no movement from it. Any fixes or remedies so far?
Welcome to the forum, Ddsutton! Let's see what I can do to make sure you don't have to get a fifth hose. How many miles are on your truck now? Have you considered going to a different Ford Dealership for a second opinion? You can find some local options by entering your ZIP code here: Ford Dealers | Locate a Ford Dealer Near You | Ford.com

Crystal

Old 06-30-2015, 10:10 AM
Ddsutton
New User
I've got 186k on the truck. I took it to 2 dealerships 3 shops. No one can figure it out. That line when it breaks at the manifold it's so hot you can't even touch it. I need help to figure this out.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:11 AM
JCare
Freshman User
Frustrated

I took it to the local dealership and explained the problem and asked them to find out why. The only answer I got after being charged a diagnostic fee was there is a new part number for that hose, so it has been updated....

My local independent shop is looking at the hose to see if he can try and add some aluminum reinforcement/webbing around that area to keep this from happening again.

I have no idea if the part was redesigned or not, but it apparently didn't help, or maybe its the new design that is the issue. Apart from the repeated hot rides and return to the shop, is the additional cost of replacing the accumulator/dryer since the system was run open, and I am sure my compressor will now have a shortened life, which for me, means something because I will keep this vehicle until it dies and not just trade it in every couple of years. I currently have less than 85,000 miles on it.

I would like to find out more about the redesigned part, or a dealership who will take the time to access the Ford network of information to figure this out, but I can't keep paying diagnostic fees and loosing time from work to take and pick up the truck. My dealer I purchased it through has since sold the dealership and its no longer there, so I am just trying to find a dealership who I can trust and rely upon. (I know, we all are)

If you find anything out, let me know what works, and I will do the same, although for now, I have given up on using a dealer.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:17 PM
JCare
Freshman User
A/C repair shop in Atlanta

Well it happened again this time on my way to Atlanta with a group. Going to be in Atlanta for the week. Any recommendations for a good place to look at my truck and maybe fix it so we do t have to ride back for 7 hours without a/c?

Old 07-13-2015, 07:49 AM
DavidB
Elder User
Unless the new parts are defective, the only thing that could cause that is excessive engine vibration or movement. You cannot truly check an engine mount without lifting/jacking up the engine. I have seen many of them that looked fine until the engine was lifted only to find out that the mount had separated. About the only other thing would be to try to find a way to route the line differently and/or provide additional support for it.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:14 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What year and how many miles do you have?
Sounds to me like the new part was not built to proper spec. It sounds like your not alone. Which leads me to believe that the updated assembly spec is using a different design and its not correct for this application. Either from a heat, vibe or chemical incompatibility stand point. Find an NOS hose or pull a good used one out of a yard and try that. Another option would be to locate an automotive AC shop. One where thats all they do is mobile AC. Ill bet your not the first customer they've seen with this problem. AC lines dont just blow like this. Have you done any Googling onths subject?
Has anyone pulled the filter to look for trash? Does the system blow cold when its working? Run the engine for a bit with the hood up and watch a bunch of AC cycles to see if something is captain obvious?

Old 07-13-2015, 02:18 PM
6.2 V8 power
Senior User
Check the transmission mount. You could change it to a poly mount and see what happens.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:23 PM
r2011
Freshman User
have a a/c line made up with more rubber for flexing purposes, that may be a band aide until you have time to down it and look harder

Old 07-13-2015, 04:01 PM
JCare
Freshman User
My truck is a 2008, about 76,000 miles. The aluminum portion isn't very long, and makes a sharp 90 degree turn as it goes into the top of the compressor. It has a decent amount of rubber in it, so that's why any kind of flexing baffles me, and I'm not sure any more rubber would help, from what I can tell looking at the line.

I have been using a dedicated a/c shop now, and the reason why I took it to a dealership was because I was hoping they could reach out to Ford and get their input, but they stopped when it wasn't anything obvious and they found the new part number. I also felt that due to the lack of folks saying yes I had that happen to me when I first posted, that this may not be as common as I would have thought, and again, why the Ford network of information could be useful.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:31 PM
r2011
Freshman User
ok,sounds like the flexing isn't a issue

Old 07-14-2015, 08:26 AM
Ddsutton
New User
I actually went to a wrecking yard and bought a line off of another truck. Been working great for about 3 weeks now. Seems like the new lines are defective. Of coarse ford say they are not but I've bought 3 and broke them all within a couple weeks. This hose I got off the wrecking yard seems to be holding up good so far.

Quick Reply: Breaking A/C Hoses