Sponsored by:

Removing rear entertainment system.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 09:34 PM
bwolgie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing rear entertainment system.

So here's the deal just bought my Ex and it has a newish double din DVD Kenwood in the front, and the rear entertainment system with DVD in the rear. However, the previous owner told me since the RES didn't work when they installed the new stereo they didn't bother hooking it up.

So my question is, I would love to get rid of the tiny factory RES, and put a much larger screen in that is hooked up to the front stereo/DVD player. But when I remove it is there going to be a gaping hole in the headliner? or just a couple small ones where the wires were? and I am assuming I can buy a rear climate control unit for the ones without the RES and install that instead.

What are y'alls thoughts.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:13 PM
Cbale
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bwolgie
So here's the deal just bought my Ex and it has a newish double din DVD Kenwood in the front, and the rear entertainment system with DVD in the rear. However, the previous owner told me since the RES didn't work when they installed the new stereo they didn't bother hooking it up.

So my question is, I would love to get rid of the tiny factory RES, and put a much larger screen in that is hooked up to the front stereo/DVD player. But when I remove it is there going to be a gaping hole in the headliner? or just a couple small ones where the wires were? and I am assuming I can buy a rear climate control unit for the ones without the RES and install that instead.

What are y'alls thoughts.
There are several holes for the mounts and also for the wires. I have some photos somewhere of the unit pulled down. I will try to find them and post so you can see what it looks like.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:52 AM
Technologiq
Elder User
On the climate controls, yes you can buy them separately.

I know there is a larger hole right where the DVD player is and on the left there is a smaller hole with the climate controls. Putting a larger DVD will cover that part - not sure how well the standalone climate controls will cover the other spot.

The RES is actually really easy to take down, 4 screws above the screen and the rest are clips. If you pull it straight down it will hang there off 2 clips above the screen.

Lastly, making the rear dvd work with an aftermarket deck, including video is pretty easy.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:55 AM
bwolgie
New User
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to replace the AC with a stand alone control. And then add a 13" screen and find some kind of trim piece or plug to cover any other holes. I'll update on the process and final outcome.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:30 AM
Ben Tylka
New User
bwolgie, Did you complete the process. I am in the same boat as you. Just bought an 03 EX with aftermarket Kenwood double DIN and 2nd row RES not working. I would like to complete the same upgrade you were talking about. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:00 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bwolgie
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to replace the AC with a stand alone control. And then add a 13" screen and find some kind of trim piece or plug to cover any other holes. I'll update on the process and final outcome.
Been wanting to do this for a while, however the AC ducting up there proved to be difficult to work around without making a mount that hung down a LOT to cover the holes, work around the AC, and mount the new screen too. Interested in seeing how this goes, I may copy you if you're successful.