1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No outside temp gauge?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Whaler22
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool No outside temp gauge?!

There's a lot to love about the newer Super Duty trucks, but I'm grumpy about the constant idiot chimes (truck can't be started without that chorus) and I'm amazed a pickup with a $60,000 price tag doesn't show outside temperature on the information/dash panel. This truck does everything but wash the dog, and the computer system gives me all kinds of information I don't need, but it's missing the simple little outside temp indicator that's been included on most GM, Mopar, Japanese & German vehicles for twenty or thirty years! For those of us who drive in mountain/snow country, with daily temperature swings that can exceed thirty degrees, the outside temp and ice-warning feature are mighty handy. Geeze, my motorcycle even has that feature. What gives? Can it be added to the factory system? (I don't want to glue a $10 aftermarket solution to the dash, because it looks terrible and will leave adhesive on the dash.)

Old 09-14-2014, 01:04 PM
Pit Crew
Senior User
What truck do you have? My xl model has it.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:12 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
My xlt has it and I don't have the fancy lcd info screen either

Old 09-14-2014, 01:14 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone else had this complaint a while back and I think the general consensus was to roll down the window and stick your arm out. If you have a smart phone most of them have the temperature on the home screen if you need to know the exact temperature. Personally, I prefer the "open the door and get out and if I'm cold put a coat on" method

I get what you're saying though. For 60k I would expect the truck to not only tell me the temperature but dress me accordingly too.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:24 PM
Nearly Normal Mike
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too am amazed. I bought my very first Super Duty a couple of months ago. I even got the Platinum model and there is no outside temp gauge that I can find. My friendly Ford dealer was unaware of this but checked and found there is none.

I agree when you pay over $60K for a vehicle of ANY kind it should have an outside temp gauge!! I'll bet GM and Ram have them. My 2009 F-150 had one. I guess I will have to tune in a weather station on the radio or drive by a bank if I want to find the temp.

Right now it doesn't matter much, because in south Georgia this time of year the temp is always HOT!

Old 09-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Have you looked in the climate control? I have a 2006
and it's part of the EACT system display.

Sean

Old 09-14-2014, 07:09 PM
Nearly Normal Mike
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Checked climate control screen. No joy!

Old 09-14-2014, 08:08 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Nearly Normal Mike
Checked climate control screen. No joy!
Bummer.

Having OAT displayed is a nice thing when your rolling down the
road with the A/C on and thinking about getting out for a quick stretch
of the legs and want to know just how baked you are going to get.

A factory install is so much better that stuffing some do-hickey somewhere.

Sean

Old 09-14-2014, 08:28 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
take a picture of the productivity screen and show us it's not there. I say BS to this post.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:40 PM
Moraguy
New User
It's on the 9" screen, center top, time & temp.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:12 AM
CollinsCD
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts
My 2010 XLT Super Duty does not have an outside temp gauge. That also ticked me off! Every other car and truck I own from the late 90's and on had the temp gauge except for this truck.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:37 AM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
I've never had a vehicle with an OAT display. Why is that a big deal? I can decide on my own if it is hot, comfortable, cold, freezing or "arctic vortex" outside of my truck.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:40 AM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
my XL has it

Old 09-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Whaler22
New User
Originally Posted by phillips91
Someone else had this complaint a while back and I think the general consensus was to roll down the window and stick your arm out. If you have a smart phone most of them have the temperature on the home screen if you need to know the exact temperature. Personally, I prefer the "open the door and get out and if I'm cold put a coat on" method .
I tried to make the answer to this clear in my original post. Where I live (Oregon) it's common for the temperature to range thirty degrees. I've seen it change by more that forty degrees in the space of a three hour drive up and over the passes from the valley into central Oregon. That means you can start at 55 degrees and a drizzle and, as you cross over the pass in the same grey soup, it's twenty degrees and the roadway is freezing. You guys who roll your window down and stick your heads into the rush of the wind every thirty minutes would probably have a handle on the temperature change, but I usually just keep my head in the truck and drive from point A to point B. With coffee in my cup, and the auto-climate-control going it's hard to register the temperature difference outside, but it can change quickly.

One night ten years ago I came off the snowy pass and it was raining. I pulled off the side of the road for a break and, when I got out, the road was solid ice. The road LOOKED wet, and the wipers were still swiping the water off the windshield, but the rain had been freezing on the ground, my mirror housings, the hood and my antennae. I had to hold onto the truck to walk around it. When I got back in the truck thermometer said 34 degrees...

I guess if I lived in Miami or LA it wouldn't matter, but there's a lot I'd happily give up before losing the external temp sensor -- especially given it's a $3 item from the factory.

My truck is a 2012 loaded to the gills with every hoo-haw they hang on these things, including heated and cooled leather seats, sunroof, nav and a dozen other electronic goodies and idiot warnings I don't need or want.

Thanks to those of you who made constructive suggestions. We're headed back to the dealer again.

Whaler

P.s. A buddy of mine was so frightened of the 6 liter diesels he built his own custom truck when his 7.3 finally died. It cost him nearly $50,000 to fully strip the old F-350, repaint, redo the interior and install a cherry new Cummins mated to an Allison transmission. Now he's got the best of Ford 1999 with the 5.9 Cummins built to about 350 horsepower. We thought he was nuts in 2009... Now I envy him. He's getting 20 mpg with no DPF, none of the nanny crap, and the truck pulls like a champ.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:33 PM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Whaler
Cant speak of your 2012 but my 2015 XLT has it on the top of the "productivity screen" in the cluster, Shows temp and compass

look on the first screen of this video it shows it http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...t.mp4%3Fdl%3D0

Thanks to billcard for the video

Regards

Quick Reply: No outside temp gauge?!