1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best backup camera package?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:41 PM
kengarchow
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
camera dudes
mounting camera in the early style tailgate handle may work, better check first to make sure u can see the hitch (i think that was your main reason) may have to slant camera down. i think i would get one of the lic plate cams as they can usually be tipped as needed

or get the 08 up tailgate that had a handle or emblem cam option
then you get a better looking tailgate and an integrated camera too

as for rig with v tail gate i recently bought a tail gate from a guy that put on a 5 th wheel tailgate and he found a bracket that held the OEM camera to the new 5th wheel tail gate. so no new wiring necessary as oem not use RCA like many aftermarket ones do
i have heard from good sources that the oem cams are usually better too

Old 09-16-2014, 01:23 AM
corksil
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazon.com : BOYO VTB44MC 4.3-Inch Digital LCD Rear View Mirror Monitor and Camera Combination : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electronics Amazon.com : BOYO VTB44MC 4.3-Inch Digital LCD Rear View Mirror Monitor and Camera Combination : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electronics

This seems like my best option. I've learned that it only comes with one camera, but has a second input for installing second camera. Not sure which camera I need to order for separate camera and not sure if mounting this in my tailgate key-cylinder hole will be low enough to see the hitch.

Also concerned that this camera system has no IR illumination, so it will be useless at night. Might have to find IR LED setup as well.. too much to research, too little time.

Thanks everyone, I'll review this thread in the morning and get back to the drawing board. It's been a.... uh.... 17hr day so far, and I have a few more hours of work to do.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:44 AM
Whaler22
New User
I think the best solution is to duplicate the factory-type nav installation by replacing the factory stereo head unit with a nav unit that has a plug-in for a backup camera. You'll end up with a much bigger screen, better visibility, and it all disappears when you're not using it. (The screen retracts on single-DIN units) It also has the advantage of including other features you may enjoy, like Bluetooth, so you can legally use your cell phone in many states, navigation, and the ability to watch DVD movies (handy for kids or grandkids, and not too bad when you're stuck waiting for the wife at the mall.) I installed these in several former trucks with cameras mounted in the rear license plate frame. They've been perfect, and you've got them even when the tailgate is removed. (Not all camera/screens are equal, so make sure to buy the lens/view you want.)

The full-blown imaginary retail price on these packages is $1000 or more, but they depreciate VERY quickly when new, more advanced units come out. I paid about $350 for a "demo" single-DIN Pioneer unit (used) at a local stereo store I know and trust. The license-plate camera was another $80, I think -- but then you end up with a solution that kills five birds with one stone. (I wanted an older head unit anyway, because it's much harder to defeat the safety features in the newer ones. Some have gyros/motion-sensors which prevent you from making nav inputs or watching movies while the vehicle is moving. I wouldn't do either, but I have no problem with my wife doing both while I drive, so I've disabled the safety blocks on my last three aftermarket units and two factory units.)

Old 09-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Whaler22
New User
Last thought: when I hook up trailers by myself without camera assistance I can usually get it done in about five minutes or less. The trick is to get out and check progress/position several times starting at about six feet, where you still have room to make correction.

The license plate light and backup lights on the truck are more than ample to illuminate a five or six foot radius behind the hitch... You GOTTA be able to get that close without assistance,

Old 09-16-2014, 10:03 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put a small strip of orange reflective tape on my pin box to help line it up.
Also, two things that I can use to judge direction when backing and looking in my center rear view mirror...
the mounting holes for my center headrest I took out is a nice gauge to judge my direction until I get close,
then I use the printed safety glass warning on the center sliding glass and put it JUST to the right of the pinbox and I'm usually VERY close...

now height, you have to get out to judge... but our 5er has a 'return to hitch height' on the leveling system that takes most of the guess work out of that...

on my previous 5er I put one of those memory bubble levels that you set when you first unhook so you know where to go back to -->
Amazon.com: Hopkins 05515 Level+Plus With Memory: Automotive Amazon.com: Hopkins 05515 Level+Plus With Memory: Automotive

Old 09-16-2014, 09:19 PM
kengarchow
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
in dash aftermarket units do have some nice features, but also tend to invite theft

Old 09-16-2014, 09:45 PM
Redrkt
Senior User
If you want a smaller screen this one has a really nice picture
monitor monitor
and I am using this
camera camera
with it. the monitor is a 4.3" one and the camera works really well even at night.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:40 PM
Jposes
New User
Originally Posted by corksil
Did you end up going with this package? I'm looking to install a back camera ASAP. Had one on my last truck. It makes a world of difference when hooking up to trailers.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:01 AM
corksil
Senior User
Package hasn't shown up yet, will bump this thread when I install the unit.

Gotta get back to work.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:31 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
i ordered one too and a replacement camera, the only thing that worries me, is i had a ching chong after market stereo off ebay (from asia) and it caught on fire one day, i hop that rearview mirror dont.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:27 AM
corksil
Senior User
Originally Posted by Skip1970
i ordered one too and a replacement camera, the only thing that worries me, is i had a ching chong after market stereo off ebay (from asia) and it caught on fire one day, i hop that rearview mirror dont.
I'd certainly like to hear that story...

I ordered the rearview monitor I had linked previously and also ordered a license plate frame camera, hopefully I'm covered.

But if this isht catches fire in my truck there will be some serious retribution that will take place. Hopefully we don't have any sun spots or solar flares or witchcraft going on... I simply don't have time for it.

Will post pics once I have a chance to install all of this.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:20 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Originally Posted by corksil
I'd certainly like to hear that story...

I ordered the rearview monitor I had linked previously and also ordered a license plate frame camera, hopefully I'm covered.

But if this isht catches fire in my truck there will be some serious retribution that will take place. Hopefully we don't have any sun spots or solar flares or witchcraft going on... I simply don't have time for it.

Will post pics once I have a chance to install all of this.

heres the one that caught fire, its just the face, it burst into smoke pouring out the cd hole as i had the face off it. thats why the face is still good.

Attached Images    
Old 09-25-2014, 02:08 PM
weyland426
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm researching iphone/android smartphone remote back-up cams. I hook up an average of 2 times per week so I cant justify spending the money on a new head unit, nor do I want a stand beside monitor in my way for such little use. I figure opening a bluetooth remote cam app and watching on my phone (which i always have on me) is the least expensive and least obtrusive method there is. Now just to find a reputable product...

Old 09-25-2014, 02:23 PM
corksil
Senior User
And then there's the issue of how to mount the phone on the dash.... and where to mount it...

Old 09-25-2014, 02:40 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Originally Posted by weyland426
I'm researching iphone/android smartphone remote back-up cams. I hook up an average of 2 times per week so I cant justify spending the money on a new head unit, nor do I want a stand beside monitor in my way for such little use. I figure opening a bluetooth remote cam app and watching on my phone (which i always have on me) is the least expensive and least obtrusive method there is. Now just to find a reputable product...

boy i really like that idea, let me know what you dig up.

Quick Reply: Best backup camera package?