1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

drive soon or wait who knows how long...poll

Old 09-13-2014, 05:43 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drive soon or wait who knows how long...poll

I'm getting closer to the point of starting this puppy. But that would involve some wiring which i know nothing about. (aamof, I don't know much about any of this ) I'm having a dilemna whether or not drive it around like it is, rust, primer, no windows or seatbelts and get some enjoyment out of it, or just bite the bullet and start bodywork and paint before I even put the cab back together. I didn't get the chance to drive this thing before because i took it over from PO project...

Anyone else have or has had this dilemna? what did you do?

Old 09-13-2014, 05:55 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Well, my truck was running when I got it. But it needed brakes and new wheels and I rewired all of it and fixed the headlights and added turn signals and two rear lights. All of this was for safety. I also added seat belts, which are not required by law but I won't drive without them.

And my truck still needs body work and paint and a finished bed.

But I'm driving it and I'm glad I didn't wait til everything was done. Just my $0.02 worth.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:11 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Our truck runs so we have been able to enjoy it for the last 18 months before the work begins. I have enjoyed that time. It will definitely reduce the project time by continuing the work however, taking the time to enjoy the truck can put a new spark in the project. After some time behind the wheel you my be surprised how much more ready you are to, get er done!

Old 09-13-2014, 06:18 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Yeah, right now it's kinda like a trophy. I just sit there and look at it. kinda sucks. I need to get more motivated again. I wanna fire it up and hear it, but not quite sure how much more work is involved for that. besides fluids and ignition box and coil, not too sure what else.... and wiring starter, battery, and some kind of ignition. It seems like every step I have to research and learn about it. kinda frustrating. It took me a week to learn how to install the distributor this past week. 2 kids in diapers doesn't help the process

Old 09-13-2014, 06:37 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 604 Likes on 376 Posts
Nothing worse for a new or rebuilt engine than running it short periods to "hear it run". Get the paint done now, or I'd bet you'll never take it back apart.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:42 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 288 Likes on 166 Posts
From where you are now, I would be tempted to finish paint the cab (both interior and exterior), rewire as needed, and reassemble the body. This gets you back on the road sooner and minimizes subsequent labor. All the other body work can bue done while assembled or with minimal disassembly whenever time allows.

You'll start to get a better feel for the truck with use and won't be too invested should you want other changes.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:52 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm of the school of get it running and tested before blowing it apart and finishing it. Nothing worse IMHO than getting it in final paint and then finding out you welded in a bracket in the wrong place or need to cut a hole. These pre ECU engines are pretty simple to wire up, any old school mechanic worth the title was able to start and run a vehicle with a 3' length of wire and a pair of pliers in about 30 seconds after opening the hood. That was considered a set of auto theft tools back in the day.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:11 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,410 Likes on 1,370 Posts
I understand your frustration. It's a lot of work building a project vehicle, and more than one has been pushed aside from frustration and loss of interest. But we're your support group. We've been there, and had these same ups and downs. You're ready for something good to happen. It doesn't take too much to temporarily wire up an engine enough to make it run. That would make you feel good to do that. The learning how is part of the fun. To be able to say I figured out how to do this and made your truck come alive. It's an awesome feeling.

Another thing that I could recommend is to break everything down into small tasks. As you complete each one, you celebrate your progress. Painting things like the firewall, inner fenders and dash/interior is a great starting place, and as you start putting things together you won't have to pull them apart to do your finish work later. Save the outside stuff for last. If you get it far enough along focusing on the right steps, you can drive it while you finish the rest.

I hope this helps, even if just a little bit.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:04 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks guys for all the guidance and allowing me to "lean" on ya'll for support. My 2.5 year old was playing on the Ipad yesterday, and opened a pic of the F100 somehow. He looked at me and said, "Daddy's truck?" It made me smile and gave me a little more ambition to get it driving...

Old 09-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 754 Likes on 368 Posts
I asked the same question a little while ago.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...uch-first.html

I opted to put the body back on and go drive it around with a beat up body. I figured body work and paint would cost enough to delay driving it for 5 years or more. Three kids and lots of sports sucks all the available income and time.

Making that decision really got me going. Here it is today. I took it for a parade test run. I plan on driving it in a parade next week. My Father In Law was checking it out as it idled and we had the trailer hooked up and ready to go.

I'm still a long ways from being street legal, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I say get it ready to drive and go for it. Frankly, with small kids, it may be your only hope/

Old 09-13-2014, 08:40 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
OOooooo... I love the patina on that truck. I don't think I would paint it at all!! I wish I could find a complete truck patina'd I would just use the panels.. and keep my chassis

Old 09-13-2014, 09:03 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
Originally Posted by jrockdiddy
OOooooo... I love the patina on that truck. I don't think I would paint it at all!! I wish I could find a complete truck patina'd I would just use the panels.. and keep my chassis
You can put everything back together to "test fit" all the body panels before it goes to paint, and what the heck , if you just happen to want to tske it for a spin then all is good.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:30 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm probably a good example of what can happen to projects. This truck arrived at my place in 1987. It ran really bad, it was badly butchered up, had rust everywhere and didn't do anything very well. I chose to blow it apart and make it into a project that is just now 27 years later is a running vehicle.

In my defense I did start and finish several other projects during this time, but I have to say that some of the most fun vehicles that I've ever owned were a lot less than nice. This Corvette was a blast to drive and it went through a variety of stages during the time that I had it and I drove it every day. I always timed what I did to it to not take it out of service more than a weekend. And yes I drove it just like you see it in this picture.

My advice would be to get it running, improve it when you can, and enjoy it.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:43 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
I stopped working on mine when My dad died in '94. It sat in pieces at a couple of different locations for a while until I brought it to where I work. I put the sheet metal back together and drove it around for a while. (I have about 3 miles on non-public roads) It's what got me fired back up to finish the project. Unfortunately, I've had to redo a lot of it. Sitting is just so hard on a vehicle.

But getting to drive it around sure was fun.

This is what it looked like when I put it back together, before the current frame-off rebuild:

Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2014, 12:50 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
When I first read your question I thought Ok this is easy advice, then I went thru your build and early threads and saw just how much beautiful, tedious work you have done on your truck, to get it to this point wow, not so easy now that's for sure. Dude, I cant blame you for wanting to drive it, but your so close. I guess if you don't mind doing some of the work twice, like windshield, door latches etc. What Ross said about a new motor, makes me ask, is that gorgeous 351 freshly rebuilt? That could be the deciding factor if it were mine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: drive soon or wait who knows how long...poll