Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Large case 3G alt with v belt pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 12:31 PM
ZombiePopper
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Large case 3G alt with v belt pulley?

I hope this hasn't been asked a thousand times before and if it has I apologize.
I've read every 3G alt how-to, article, related posts, etc and I can't seem to find a definitive answer.
But it looks like my alt is dying a slow death as I'm only getting 8v at idle and not much more off idle.
So I'm planning my 3G swap now and I'm trying to find the specific vehicles that came with the 3G alt, large case, 130a, with v belt pulley.
I've read about allllll the ford vehicles that came with them but am looking for the above specifics.
Anyone know off the top of their heads which vehicles they came in?
(I know I can swap my pulley, but I figured I'd be one less thing to do.)
As always thanks!

Old 09-13-2014, 09:37 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Old 09-13-2014, 09:39 PM
ZombiePopper
Senior User
Oops I also forgot to ask;
Is there a place I can just buy the 3G wire harness?
(Junkyards around here are awful unless I drive quite a ways, which i will do if needed...)
Thanks

Old 09-13-2014, 09:44 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by ZombiePopper
Oops I also forgot to ask;
Is there a place I can just buy the 3G wire harness?
(Junkyards around here are awful unless I drive quite a ways, which i will do if needed...)
Thanks
I remember somebody posted a link to the new harness a year ago, but I forgot where it was. I remember it was a lot more expensive than I wanted, but it was cheaper than dicking around for many days in a junkyard finding nothing. While looking for that website, I found this:

Ford Mustang 3G Alternator Conversion Harness Connector | eBay

Anyone know if this ebay sale is legit and if it could work with the t-bird/taurus 3G alternators we are using in our trucks?

Old 09-13-2014, 09:51 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by genscripter
I remember somebody posted a link to the new harness a year ago, but I forgot where it was. I remember it was a lot more expensive than I wanted, but it was cheaper than dicking around for many days in a junkyard finding nothing. While looking for that website, I found this:

Ford Mustang 3G Alternator Conversion Harness Connector | eBay

Anyone know if this ebay sale is legit and if it could work with the t-bird/taurus 3G alternators we are using in our trucks?
Why wouldn't it be legit, and why wouldn't it work? If the connector looks like the right one, it should work.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:53 PM
ZombiePopper
Senior User
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
That's a great link I already have it bookmarked, added to my reading list and my home screen I've also read thru it several times, but....
It still doesn't clarify exactly what year, model, engine I should be looking for (unless I missed it which could be possible...) it also no longer has pics in it, they're gone, but still a good link nonetheless.
It may just be a case of me having to go to a scrap yard and dig, dig, dig till I find the specific one I'm referring to (3G, 130a, large case, v belt pulley)
I did think about going to an auto parts store and having them go thru EVERY vehicle on those lists until I found one, but that's a little time consuming lol, not to mention their website pics are just stock photos, not the actual alt.
I didn't know if someone happened to know off-hand of the specific one (I know there's a small case 3G, 95a 3G and a serp pulley 3G)

Old 09-13-2014, 10:01 PM
ZombiePopper
Senior User
Appreciate the responses genscripter and macrobb
I may have to pick one of those up....for less than $18 it seems like a pretty good deal....

Old 09-13-2014, 10:43 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Appreciate the responses genscripter and macrobb
I may have to pick one of those up....for less than $18 it seems like a pretty good deal....
Or, just whack out the plug when you grab the alternator at the JY. You can see how it needs to be wired up from that link.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:58 PM
Dark Horse
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The pulleys on all the ford alternators I have checked are interchangeable. remove the nut and the pulley should slide off. slide the new pulley on tighten the nut and it should be good to go. That should make your search a little easier.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:09 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im not sure a single v belt has enough grip for a 130 amp alt
Do you really need 130 or just figuring more is better?

Old 09-14-2014, 10:06 AM
ZombiePopper
Senior User
Originally Posted by bashby
Im not sure a single v belt has enough grip for a 130 amp alt
Do you really need 130 or just figuring more is better?
How do you mean?
It was my understanding that running a 3G v belt 130a alt was a good, common, basic swap for our idi's....am I mistaken or misreading the info or misunderstanding it????
(130a is just insurance, I'm planning on adding a winch, roll bar and bumper off road lights etc etc)
Of course that brings up another question I've been curious about,
(If a 130a 3G alt is to much for a v belt.....)
Can we swap a v belt accessory drive idi to a serp set-up?
(I'd obviously have to have all the serp pulleys for the accessories...)

Old 09-14-2014, 10:12 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Macrobb
Why wouldn't it be legit, and why wouldn't it work? If the connector looks like the right one, it should work.

If someone is making these on ebay for $15, then junkyard diving is a huge waste of time. Even if, and I've looked, one could find a 3G alternator in the yard, the odds that it'll need to be rebuilt are pretty high. So, the best plan of action is to buy a new alternator and this guy's harness. It's by far the cheapest plan when you account time spent in the junkyard.

But I'm skeptical that harness will work. It doesnt' look complete, but I don't know enough about the 3G system to assert it is correct.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:46 AM
shorerider16
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just did the 3G swap myself, it's relatively straight forward and there are good right ups and info here on it.

Since I wanted either a new or reman alternator and was in a rush to get the truck back together I ended up going to the parts store for the alternator. The unit I used was from a OBS truck with a gas engine, perfect drop in.

As for the pulley I just swapped over the old one. You will probably need a small spacer to prevent the pulley from rubbing on the alternator. I used a copper crush washer, which required a bit of grinding on the ID to fit over the shaft. The v-belt pulley is thicker than the serpentine belt pulley so the nut doesn't quite tighten down all the way, I put on a bunch of red loctite for peace of mind.

Since I didn't go to the junkyard I didn't have the option of pulling a wiring harness so I bought a plug pigtail from the parts store and added in the extra wiring and connectors.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:40 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How do you mean?
It was my understanding that running a 3G v belt 130a alt was a good, common, basic swap for our idi's....am I mistaken or misreading the info or misunderstanding it????
(130a is just insurance, I'm planning on adding a winch, roll bar and bumper off road lights etc etc)
Of course that brings up another question I've been curious about,
(If a 130a 3G alt is to much for a v belt.....)
Like i said, Im not sure. You might get belt slippage when you put a big load on the charging system. I put a ho alt on a plow truck years ago and it wore belts no matter how tight or straight we adjusted it.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:10 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
(
your not wrong.i wouldn't put an idi truck into service until she received the 3g alt if i ever bought a pre 1992.5 idi truck.

yes.that's exactly what i would do.

Quick Reply: Large case 3G alt with v belt pulley?