Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

2014 F150 highway ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 06:52 AM
MJFNH
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The one I just bought has about 350 miles on it. It rides nice but at highway speeds I can feel what I think is a slight wobble / tire issue. I'm guessing tires since it sat on the lot for who knows how long, and the GY SRA tires arent known for being the best out there. I haven't read anything regarding drive lines or drive shafts in the 14 Fords, it's a proven design that's been around for a while. They want me to put on more miles and then come in for a road force balance so we'll see after some miles. This is my first Ford so it may ride like a Ford truck is supposed to, I just don't know. But, if there is an issue I'd like it corrected.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:11 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MJFNH
The one I just bought has about 350 miles on it. It rides nice but at highway speeds I can feel what I think is a slight wobble / tire issue. I'm guessing tires since it sat on the lot for who knows how long, and the GY SRA tires arent known for being the best out there. I haven't read anything regarding drive lines or drive shafts in the 14 Fords, it's a proven design that's been around for a while. They want me to put on more miles and then come in for a road force balance so we'll see after some miles. This is my first Ford so it may ride like a Ford truck is supposed to, I just don't know. But, if there is an issue I'd like it corrected.
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your issues with your new truck. Your dealer should just road force balance your tires right away before having to wait 750 miles. They are just hoping you will drive in the tire and wear down the flat spots. My dealer had no problem road force balancing my tires to resolve some issues I had and we even discussed replacement of the tires if needed. I have the Bridgestone Dueler tires and so far I really like them. (I have always been partial to Michelin tires)

I would just get the service manager involved and say you would like for them to road force balance the tires now and see if that makes any difference. If not have them replace the tires. Let us know how it goes for you.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:29 AM
MJFNH
Freshman User
Thanks! Yeah, I think I'll call back and try for an appointment on Friday morning. It's not a bad shake....feels mostly in the seat and floor when going 70. I cant imagine it being anything but tires? It accelerates smoothly and drives down backroads fairly nicely. It did seem to smoothen out from when first purchased, but this slight wobble feeling is sticking around.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:35 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks! Yeah, I think I'll call back and try for an appointment on Friday morning. It's not a bad shake....feels mostly in the seat and floor when going 70. I cant imagine it being anything but tires? It accelerates smoothly and drives down backroads fairly nicely. It did seem to smoothen out from when first purchased, but this slight wobble feeling is sticking around.
Let us know how things go on Friday, MJFNH. If you need me to step in and assist, I'll be happy to look into this. To get started, send a PM my way with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Old 09-17-2014, 11:51 AM
MJFNH
Freshman User
Thank you Crystal, I appreciate that. I drove on a different stretch of highway today and the truck drove noticeably better. Maybe it's road condition, of maybe the tires are "righting" themselves with some miles on them. I'll wait and see how it does over the next few days. Question for everyone, do Ford trucks seems to feel road conditions? Old school truck drive style? I'm in New England and our highways arent in the best shape. And, I'm totally new to Ford trucks so I dont know what to expect. Always had Chevy until now. Also, what does everyone run for pressure in their tires? Mine are GY SRA and has 44 lbs yesterday, I reduced to 38 lbs warm...maybe they should be at 35 for optimum ride?

Old 09-17-2014, 12:47 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank you Crystal, I appreciate that. I drove on a different stretch of highway today and the truck drove noticeably better. Maybe it's road condition, of maybe the tires are "righting" themselves with some miles on them. I'll wait and see how it does over the next few days...
Sounds good, MJFNH; I'll be here if you need my help.

Crystal

Old 09-17-2014, 03:46 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
I don't know what you mean by road conditions. In these new trucks you shouldn't notice things like the crown of the road. The SRA's should be a nice riding tire. They are soft (sucks for towing) and provide a smooth ride. I've had them on a couple vehicles including my truck. They don't last long, 50K to 55K and the SRAs seem to start getting noisy as they reach the end of their expected life. If a regular balance doesn't fix the tires I would ask for a road force balance. I would not be comfortable driving 750 miles on a tire that might have issue.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:02 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Thank you Crystal, I appreciate that. I drove on a different stretch of highway today and the truck drove noticeably better. Maybe it's road condition, of maybe the tires are "righting" themselves with some miles on them. I'll wait and see how it does over the next few days. Question for everyone, do Ford trucks seems to feel road conditions? Old school truck drive style? I'm in New England and our highways arent in the best shape. And, I'm totally new to Ford trucks so I dont know what to expect. Always had Chevy until now. Also, what does everyone run for pressure in their tires? Mine are GY SRA and has 44 lbs yesterday, I reduced to 38 lbs warm...maybe they should be at 35 for optimum ride?
I would check your door jam for the proper running pressure. My tires are recommended at 35 psi and I run them at that pressure. If you are feeling like a vibration under your seat it could be an issue with the driveline angle like I went though. (I had a whole thread about it that is still to be continued found here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rvice-rep.html) my dealer installed a 2" shim kit that made the driveline angle closer to zero and that solved my unloaded vibration at highway speed. Happy reading...