6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Cooling system maintenace/upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 08:43 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by the_auto_tech
Added to the optional list:

Mishimoto aluminum radiator
Mishimoto 200 degree thermostat
Flex-a-Lite electric fan conversion
No electric fan will flow the cfm of the factory fan, what's the point?

Old 01-23-2015, 09:39 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
And there is enough battery drain already... not a good upgrade, actually closer to a down-grade at the shortened life of battery/alternators. Those fans pull 30-40amps on average and on a hot day... no thank you.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:03 PM
Mishimoto
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the_auto_tech
Added to the optional list:

Mishimoto aluminum radiator
Mishimoto 200 degree thermostat
Flex-a-Lite electric fan conversion
Thanks for considering our cooling components for the maintenance on your 6.0L! Let me know if you have any questions about the components listed.

Originally Posted by jsm180
No electric fan will flow the cfm of the factory fan, what's the point?
Removing the stock mechanical fan can reduce rotational mass and free up some horsepower and torque. Previous independent test have shown some pretty nice increases. Our team would really like to explore the actual gains at some point in the future.

Thanks

Old 01-23-2015, 12:45 PM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Mishimoto
Removing the stock mechanical fan can reduce rotational mass and free up some horsepower and torque. Previous independent test have shown some pretty nice increases. Our team would really like to explore the actual gains at some point in the future.

Thanks
No thanks, the stock system works fine and the 6.0 is not lacking in the hp or torque dept. Like WatsonR said, the power for the fan has to come from somewhere and amps are in short supply on these trucks.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:12 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
I would sure like to see the independent study results.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:51 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't doubt it would reduce rotational mass (kinda a given) which would free up ponies but it would be a hard road to get an electric fan to flow the best amount of air for our engine--just my thoughts.

2006 F350 4X4

Old 01-24-2015, 08:28 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I tried electric fans on my f150. Was a dual fan set-up, covered the entire radiator... they ran awesome. Gain of about 10hp, never ate themselves. The electronic/wiring were top notch... but it ate an alternator every year and each unit drew about 30 amps and in the summer ran continuously with A/C turned on. In the winter they ran when the defroster came on (A/C clutch engaged), so there was a constant draw on the battery... yep ate one every two years.

But for a measly 10hp, I'm not spending $400 to possible flow less air and have to replace alternators and batteries every year or so. That said, I wouldn't consider this an upgrade, cool to say you have electric fans, sure but it's cost prohibitive.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:07 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by WatsonR
I tried electric fans on my f150. Was a dual fan set-up, covered the entire radiator... they ran awesome. Gain of about 10hp, never ate themselves. The electronic/wiring were top notch... but it ate an alternator every year and each unit drew about 30 amps and in the summer ran continuously with A/C turned on. In the winter they ran when the defroster came on (A/C clutch engaged), so there was a constant draw on the battery... yep ate one every two years.

But for a measly 10hp, I'm not spending $400 to possible flow less air and have to replace alternators and batteries every year or so. That said, I wouldn't consider this an upgrade, cool to say you have electric fans, sure but it's cost prohibitive.
I'm not convinced you "gain" any HP (gut feeling not claiming I "know") since the alternator is obviously working harder and that puts a load on the engine rotating Similar to the original fan you removed..

Old 01-24-2015, 09:12 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
+1 Misky !

Old 01-24-2015, 11:23 AM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
It might be a "cool" idea for those who live where it's hot year round if you get in bumper to bumper traffic to keep things cool and have a separate switch

Old 01-24-2015, 12:11 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bet you would need to biggest alt and batteries you could get to run em.

2006 F350 4X4

Old 01-26-2015, 12:55 PM
Mishimoto
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsm180
No thanks, the stock system works fine and the 6.0 is not lacking in the hp or torque dept. Like WatsonR said, the power for the fan has to come from somewhere and amps are in short supply on these trucks.
Originally Posted by KDAVID1
I don't doubt it would reduce rotational mass (kinda a given) which would free up ponies but it would be a hard road to get an electric fan to flow the best amount of air for our engine--just my thoughts.

2006 F350 4X4
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Originally Posted by WatsonR

Great information, thank you.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:03 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, it's not something I would be doing either. The factory fan flows a **** ton of air and works well. I would imagine a dual fan setup that flows a lot of air for our trucks would be very taxing on the alternator and batteries. Also, it's not that I wouldn't consider the Mishimoto radiator and "upgrade" per say as the factory radiator has no problem cooling the truck. The "upgrade" comes in the fact it's an all aluminum unit with no plastic end tanks. The thermostat though seems to be proven to be worth it. I'll get the Mishimoto radiator once my stock one craps out, but it was replaced around 70,000 miles when it was in an accident, so I doubt I'll be having to replace it any time soon.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:06 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
which would you rather have, two medium pizzas or one large .

This thing is big, lots of pitch on the blades, and can be driven faster than engine rpm when the PCM says it's needed. If you want to move a lot of air it's going to take a lot of power. I think this is an example of some of the good engineering on these trucks (except for the routing of the wires for the fan clutch). Replacing this with anything electrically driven I'm aware of would be a downgrade.

I do have the Mishimoto radiator and thermostat and I like both of them.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:32 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Rusty,
The answer to the question is,

Two Large Thin Crust Extra Cheese Pepperoni.

Two mediums is just not enough. But I like the two idea.

Sean

Quick Reply: Cooling system maintenace/upgrades