1996 5.0 desirability

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 09:51 AM
The other Joe
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
1996 5.0 desirability

Hi all,

I am relatively new to the obs Ford truck scene. So I have been learning the ins and outs of the obs. I own 2. A 97 powerstroke ec long bed with 5 speed manual. And my wife is driving a nice 94 f150 4x4 with a great straight 6 and also a 5 speed trans.

My question is,

Why no interest in a nice running engine with 139 k miles?

I have advertised it locally and on this site and haven't even received 1 inquiry.

Are these unwanted engines?
I figured it would be a great engine for a hot rod or just a replacement for a tired truck.

I know it's a strange question.
I'm a strange person.

Thanks,

joe

Old 09-11-2014, 01:47 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
IMHO...The 5.0 has been and is a good engine for 40 years......those in the truck crowd typically look for larger displacement and the 5.0's are very common/available locally so that may be a better option for you.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:35 PM
The other Joe
Tuned
Originally Posted by Beechkid
IMHO...The 5.0 has been and is a good engine for 40 years......those in the truck crowd typically look for larger displacement and the 5.0's are very common/available locally so that may be a better option for you.

Thanks Beechkid,

I always thought the old 289 and 302 were good workhorse engines. But never really messed with them to often. Makes sense the truck guys want something bigger. I love my old powerstroke.

I guess I will keep plugging away locally. I can't stand the thought of junking a good working engine and transmission. This is a od auto trans.

Just seems strange not to get a single call.

Thanks,

Joe W.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 957 Likes on 758 Posts
The basic engine and transmission you have there is IDENTICAL to what you would find in any '94+ F150, Bronco, and Expolrer(if it's the 4R70w trans), but all the parts stores and most of the public don't know this and think it's some oddball thing because it has a few unique OBD2 parts bolted on the outside.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:47 PM
The other Joe
Tuned
Originally Posted by Conanski
The basic engine and transmission you have there is IDENTICAL to what you would find in any '94+ F150, Bronco, and Expolrer(if it's the 4R70w trans), but all the parts stores and most of the public don't know this and think it's some oddball thing because it has a few unique OBD2 parts bolted on the outside.

Interesting. I am not up of Ford interchangeability at all.
But I do remember back in the 70's-80s that Ford had many combinations.

Maybe I should look for a nice solid southern truck that. Needs a drive line.

I brought my wife's 94 150 4wd short bed up from Va. That was a great deal that was worth the delivery charge.

I haven't looked at the trans code. But is definitely a od trans.

Thanks,

Joe W.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:39 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by The other Joe
Hi all,

I am relatively new to the obs Ford truck scene. So I have been learning the ins and outs of the obs. I own 2. A 97 powerstroke ec long bed with 5 speed manual. And my wife is driving a nice 94 f150 4x4 with a great straight 6 and also a 5 speed trans.

My question is,

Why no interest in a nice running engine with 139 k miles?

I have advertised it locally and on this site and haven't even received 1 inquiry.

Are these unwanted engines?
I figured it would be a great engine for a hot rod or just a replacement for a tired truck.

I know it's a strange question.
I'm a strange person.

Thanks,

joe
You didn't say how much you were asking for it. That's THE most important part of the equation here. Could be you're asking too much for it. What vehicle is it out of ? Got to be either an Explorer or a pickup/van. The Explorer motor had the GT40 heads where as the E/F series 5.0 has E7TE's. Both shared the same short block (including the cam) the difference was in the heads and intake

Old 09-12-2014, 05:14 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Yes your asking price could be the issue.. prices vary wildly from region to region, in a major city you could probably ask $2000 for the package and get it but out in the country you may have trouble getting $250 out of it.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by The other Joe
Interesting.
Maybe I should look for a nice solid southern truck that. Needs a drive line.

I haven't looked at the trans code. But is definitely a od trans.
Trans code U is for the 4R70w and E is for the E4OD, both a 100% computer controlled.

Dropping this into a '94 or '95 F150 or Bronco that came with the same trans would be pretty easy as long as the complete wiring harness and PCM is still present, you would just need to source the older position style EGR components but unlike the '96 only DPFE version those parts aren't very expensive. And that's about it, any components on the motor that don't have a matching connector in the wiring harness on the truck you can just ignore.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:58 AM
The other Joe
Tuned
Originally Posted by baddad457
You didn't say how much you were asking for it. That's THE most important part of the equation here. Could be you're asking too much for it. What vehicle is it out of ? Got to be either an Explorer or a pickup/van. The Explorer motor had the GT40 heads where as the E/F series 5.0 has E7TE's. Both shared the same short block (including the cam) the difference was in the heads and intake
Baddad and Conan,

Thanks for the info.

I didn't state a price in the add. I will sell it cheap. I sell a lot of stuff and am usually low on my prices unless I have something really rare, that is hard to replace.

The engine and trans are from a 96 F150. It's still in the truck so people can here it run. I will be pulling it and all the components soon. I plan on selling off all the misc parts. It was hoping to sell the whole package together to make it easier.

I didn't know the Explorer had the GT 40 heads. Are they a lot better than the standard heads? I am familiar with the GT 40.

Conan, I am in the country where many Ford truck roam. And I am in the rust belt, where sheet metal and frames go bad long before many engines go bad.

Thanks guys,

Joe. W

Old 09-13-2014, 08:02 AM
The other Joe
Tuned
Trans code U is for the 4R70w and E is for the E4OD, both a 100% computer controlled.

Dropping this into a '94 or '95 F150 or Bronco that came with the same trans would be pretty easy as long as the complete wiring harness and PCM is still present, you would just need to source the older position style EGR components but unlike the '96 only DPFE version those parts aren't very expensive. And that's about it, any components on the motor that don't have a matching connector in the wiring harness on the truck you can just ignore.
Conan,

I will check the trans code.

So this 96 has some hard to find EGR components?
What does DPFE mean?

Thanks,
Joe W

Old 09-13-2014, 08:37 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
DPFE stands for Differential Pressure Feedback Egr, the tube between the valve and intake manifold has a couple small tubes connected to it that attach to a separate sensor block that measures the difference in pressure at each end of the tube. The sensor, the tube, and the valve are all unique to the '96 model year and therefore expensive to buy so you could potentially get some good money for them.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:33 AM
The other Joe
Tuned
DPFE stands for Differential Pressure Feedback Egr, the tube between the valve and intake manifold has a couple small tubes connected to it that attach to a separate sensor block that measures the difference in pressure at each end of the tube. The sensor, the tube, and the valve are all unique to the '96 model year and therefore expensive to buy so you could potentially get some good money for them.

Conan,

Good info. I appreciate the education. I will take a close look. This is a very unmolested truck. So I bet it is all there.

Another question.

To convert to a carburetor for a old hot rod. Is it just a simple intake change?
I imagine a old style distributor is needed as well.

This would be nice in a old Ford. I hate when people put Cheby engines in old Ford hot rods. It just cheapens them imo. No matter how in they are.

Joe

Old 09-13-2014, 11:31 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The basic long block is the same as a carbed motor, so all you have to do is replace the intake setup and the distributor. That DPFE EGR tube cost me $150 to replace on my 96 5.8. It's a very fragile piece, so you have to be extra careful in removing it. The new one got a liberal dose of antisieze on it's threads before installing it. I don't recall the EGR valve itself being any different, looked the same to me as the earlier piece. The GT40 heads have slightly larger ports and valves vs the E7 heads. The camshaft in that motor works great with a carb, no need to replace it for a carbed application. I ran this combo in my 89 Ranger with a Toploader 4 speed backed by a 3.73 geared 8.8. More fun than a barrel of monkeys. Good gas mileage, smooth powerband from idle to 5500. Intake was a Ford A321 (this is the newer version of the old Shelby "Cobra" intake) topped with a Holley 570 Street Avenger. Distributor was a points type fitted with a Crane XR-1 electronic unit. Exhaust was Shelby Tri Y's into dual 2.5" with turbo mufflers.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:23 PM
The other Joe
Tuned
Originally Posted by baddad457
The basic long block is the same as a carbed motor, so all you have to do is replace the intake setup and the distributor. That DPFE EGR tube cost me $150 to replace on my 96 5.8. It's a very fragile piece, so you have to be extra careful in removing it. The new one got a liberal dose of antisieze on it's threads before installing it. I don't recall the EGR valve itself being any different, looked the same to me as the earlier piece. The GT40 heads have slightly larger ports and valves vs the E7 heads. The camshaft in that motor works great with a carb, no need to replace it for a carbed application. I ran this combo in my 89 Ranger with a Toploader 4 speed backed by a 3.73 geared 8.8. More fun than a barrel of monkeys. Good gas mileage, smooth powerband from idle to 5500. Intake was a Ford A321 (this is the newer version of the old Shelby "Cobra" intake) topped with a Holley 570 Street Avenger. Distributor was a points type fitted with a Crane XR-1 electronic unit. Exhaust was Shelby Tri Y's into dual 2.5" with turbo mufflers.
Again, great info.

The Ranger sounds like a fun little truck to raise hell with. I bet it was very "traction limited".
I see you wrote the power band goes to 5500. Does it run out of air there? Or is it valve train parts that limit it to 5500?

I have a barn full of old Oldsmobile big blocks. They run up to 5500-6000 rpm.
I would expect a small block to go much higher.

Thanks for all this Ford education!

Joe W

Old 09-13-2014, 11:36 PM
Beanscoot
Cargo Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ad copy

Post deleted by Beanscoot.

Last edited by Beanscoot; 09-15-2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Contentious post.

Quick Reply: 1996 5.0 desirability