Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What parts would you bring on a 5k road trip?

Old 09-11-2014, 04:38 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Frantz
I set up a uship account and I was gonna see whats out there, but then it got me thinking... why don't I just be a carrier and tow someones stuff west to have them pay my gas.
Put in for the bid anyway, you don't have to accept.

It's a decent idea and worth a look but don't count in it, it's unlikely to work out. You simply can't compete, and are on the edge of ability already. It has a lot of variables, you'll find that for the most part that guys you'd be competing with for loads and would likely be up for hauling yours are doing it with setups like a crew cab diesel dually and a 3 car ramp deck trailer. They make it work out by hauling 3 at once and sleeping in the truck thus need much less money to make it worth while.

Let's say for example my best guess is that you'd get maybe $500 to take a running car west, and likely find someone willing to haul yours east for $800. Is it worth $500 for your extra fuel, wear and work, and then worth your fuel, time, truck expenses etc. to avoid paying $800.

This is all assuming an open trailer, enclosed is a whole other thing. I've looked into this, I got a diesel F350, a trailer, a CDL, some time, and like watching Shipping Wars, lol. But I found/decided it's just not worth it after spending time on the sire looking at what loads were going for. That is unless you want the adventure bad enough, are unemployed etc.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:58 PM
1993_f350_2013
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All this talk about road trips makes me want to take one

Old 09-11-2014, 06:08 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not unemployed, that's probably why the idea of needing to take a road trip is so appealing, I can almost justify it. I did put in a bid just to see, but yeah, if I could haul west, not to make money, but just to lose less then it would seem a good way to go. There is also the advantage of meeting old car people. He's selling me the stuff cheap, with some face time I can always try and get a few extra unexpected parts. I'll still look at all options before a final decision, but it would have to be a pretty bangin deal for me not to want to make the trip.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:09 AM
HOOTs95PSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I bought my 1978 Cherokee Chief in San Francisco I got a PM from a guy a little up the coast that needed a rolling MG chassis delivered. I was going to be within 25 miles of the chassis the day before my trip. I rolled it into the bed of my truck ( my trailer had another parts 78 Cherokee on it) and went back to my house. Un strapped the cherokee and rolled it off the trailer, got some sleep and headed out for CA. with my J20 pickup with a MG in the bed and an empty car trailer. What better way to spend my Christmas Vacation than to go get my Cherokee and now some guy was paying me $500 to deliver his MG. He met me at the motel I was staying at in Manteca, CA.I had friends there and got to spend a day with them and their truck project. It also gave me alot of spending money so I bought a bunch of CA sheet metal while out there and loaded up the new Cherokee and headed back home.
Fabulous trip. Learned some good weather info that trip. Never let a west bound storm haunt you from the west coast to KY. It stormed so bad the night I was leaving CA I had to stop at a rest area till it let up. Bright sunny skies the next morning and quite cool. By the time I reached AZ I had run back into the storm and it stopped me again. NM was miserable drive all the way till Amarillo. I trudged through the nasty weather into the night until I needed to stop again. When I woke up it was freezing cold and the weather report at the rest area was doom and gloom for a truck hauling a truck. It caught me in Oklahoma City as an ice storm at 65 MPH. Fun times there when your trailer tries to pass you. I was well under a winter storm now with no hope of clear skies the rest of the trip. I had 2 more unscheduled snow stops before reaching home. My nerves were frazzled I was shot but I had my Christmas gift and that's all that mattered.
If all goes well I set out this weekend and go get me a southern J10. I use the F350 as a tow rig now. Road trips rock!!! This is a pic of the J20 hauling home the Cherokee outside of Oklahoma City.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:33 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Off topic but its my thread...that's a beautiful jeep. I'm an AMC man at heart and have a future drag 65 Marlin as well as a 68 Javelin. Full size jeep trucks have always eluded my cheap ways.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:00 PM
HOOTs95PSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Semi- off topic ....... This one just followed my F350 home today..... It's a 1985 J10 .

800 mile round trip.
Seen the Jeep Friday Am online at 6am after work. Sent the guy an email that I'd call him at noon when I woke up and I was a serious buyer as long as the answers to the 4 questions, that I asked in the email, were to my approval.
I over slept he called me at 1 pm. and I committed to buy it in 5 minutes of talking to him.
Went to the bank and withdrew the cash and stopped by work to tell the boss I wasn't going to be there that night.
Went back home checked the fluid levels in the F350, tires , threw a handful of firewood in the bed , dog, his food,camera,a pair of bluejeans and off I went.
Had the truck title notarized and paid for by 1pm Saturday.
Returned home Sunday afternoon.
Everything else was already in the truck for hauling. I can always drag something home in a seconds notice. Never know what you'll find driving around.